The Official Mass Effect 3 Thread
Mar 24, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #76 of 223
Different game genres play better with different controllers. Racing games with steering wheels, RTS and FPS games with keyboard and mouse, sports and platform games with gamepads, those are just a few examples.

But I agree that there should be an increased effort from developers to have a more solid controller support, considering the genre of the games being developed.

Mar 24, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #77 of 223
One thing that controllers have is the ability to be used with ALL forms of gaming. Maybe not a master of many, but a jack of all trades, and certainly a master of comfort.

I'm seriously surprised that controllers haven't been added as an option to ALL newer games by now. I'm not referring to PC-only games, but games that are also released on consoles as well. I'm baffled that EA didn't give ME2 controller support on PC as an option. What? I assume they just decided to exclude it when it was built into the game already... What.

Mar 24, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #78 of 223

Quote:
One thing that controllers have is the ability to be used with ALL forms of gaming. Maybe not a master of many, but a jack of all trades, and certainly a master of comfort.
I'm seriously surprised that controllers haven't been added as an option to ALL newer games by now. I'm not referring to PC-only games, but games that are also released on consoles as well. I'm baffled that EA didn't give ME2 controller support on PC as an option. What?

Except PC specific genres, I agree that gamepads can be used on just about all genres.

Can't Mass Effect 2 be played with a gamepad through any of the existing softwares that enable gamepad support? I'm not asking if it has integrated gamepad support, but if gamepad usage is possible or not.

Mar 24, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #79 of 223
I dunno, but I'd rather have real in game pad support, not some third party software that emulates one.

Mar 24, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #80 of 223
You're just talking about ease of use, as in less configuration required. Of course that is indeed an ideal situation, and considering Mass Effect 2 is a multiplatform game, it would be logical to have gamepad support on all platforms. It certainly makes me curious as to why it doesn't natively support them.

But as long as gamepads can be used, natively or otherwise, it's manageable.

Mar 24, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #81 of 223
The lack of controller support on Bioware PC games is pretty disappointing. For cutscene heavy games I absolutely love playing on the TV, but can't properly do so without a controller.

I'll sacrifice a little bit of accuracy for comfort any day.
frown.gif

Er, anyway, beat ME3 again. Not sure what more I can say about it. The screwed up choices I made didn't really change anything, and I was highly disappointed by the Diana "romance".

I think I'll probably shelf ME3 for a while, let some DLC stack up, then hit it again. Until then... What the hell do I play?

Mar 24, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #83 of 223

Quote:

I still need to play get through Dragon Age II.

I loved Dragon Age II. God knows how many times I played that. And probably half those times I played it just to romance Merrill.
tongue.gif

Mar 24, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #84 of 223

Quote:
I loved Dragon Age II. God knows how many times I played that. And probably half those times I played it just to romance Merrill.
tongue.gif

Funny you should mention Merrill, since that's one of the most unfortunate bugs in the game I've encountered. Basically the game refused to let me flirt with her early in the game, as every time I chose to do so it broke the relationship system and points could no longer be earned toward either side. : (

I really like certain aspects of the game. The combat system is fun, the characters are strong, and it has one of the nicest canonical designs for a female lead character I've ever seen. Female Hawke is amazing. Unfortunately after a while the ridiculous recycled dungeons ("doors" that are patches of wall that just dissolve? Come on.) and bugs kind of got to me, and I put it aside. I never harbored the hatred for it that some people do though. As much as I loved the first Dragon Age, I was able to see the sequel on its own terms which definitely helped.

Mar 24, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #85 of 223

Quote:

I still need to play get through Dragon Age II.

God's speed!  I had over 1000 hours clocked in DA:O but DA2, I made it halfway through playthrough and gave up. With no central focal point story wise, I just found it hard to care about. It wasn't a bad game but it wasn't one of Bioware's top notch work. 

Mar 24, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #86 of 223

Quote:
Funny you should mention Merrill, since that's one of the most unfortunate bugs in the game I've encountered. Basically the game refused to let me flirt with her early in the game, as every time I chose to do so it broke the relationship system and points could no longer be earned toward either side. : (

I really like certain aspects of the game. The combat system is fun, the characters are strong, and it has one of the nicest canonical designs for a female lead character I've ever seen. Female Hawke is amazing. Unfortunately after a while the ridiculous recycled dungeons ("doors" that are patches of wall that just dissolve? Come on.) and bugs kind of got to me, and I put it aside. I never harbored the hatred for it that some people do though. As much as I loved the first Dragon Age, I was able to see the sequel on its own terms which definitely helped.

Damn, that sucks. Luckily I never had too many issues with bugs, at least after the patches I didn't. Overall, though, I like it more than Dragon Age Origins. Origins' combat, especially after multiple playthroughs, got really dull, especially having to trudge through places like the Deep Roads.

But yes, FemHawke is amazing. I love her voice, and it especially suits comical options well. Not to mention default FemHawke is delicious.
biggrin.gif

Mar 24, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #87 of 223
I'm a slow poke and take my time with this stuff, so I'm still not that far in the game. I just finished the Tuchanka and following Citadel parts.

I was rather annoyed the game seemed to arbitrarily cut off certain quests after the Citadel attack. For instance the Benning: Evidence side-quest. Since Benning: Cerberus Abductions was still available, I had no idea you had to find those stupid dog tags before finishing the Shroud. Usually I can get a solid feel for when quests need to be done (Barla Von saying to "hurry up" with the Shadow Broker wet squad for instance), but suddenly I find Osoba is no longer standing in his spot, and lo and behold I missed the chance to finish Benning: Evidence. I had to basically start all the way back before the Shroud for this one quest, because I'm a completionist. Really annoyed me.

That being said, I'm much more pleased with the dialog system now after Tuchanka. Before it seemed like there were little to no paragon or renegade exclusive options, those dialog choices you can only make at a sufficient level in either. It felt like my dialog choices carried no weight and that my decisions didn't amount to much. After Tuchanka however this changes, at least for now, and it feels like I'm actually making an impact and that my choices carry moral weight. Still, one of the reasons why the original ME is my favorite is that there were just so many ways of doing things. As the series progressed, those options are definitely more restrictive, sort of like the level design itself. Less generic, but more restrictive.

I'm never going to be as satisfied as I was with the first Mass Effect, as that was just an entirely different game than the second and third installments. That being said, the second game was able to find its niche in an alternative approach I felt, so I'm curious as to how the third game will feel in the end. Since I have a long way to go still I don't want any spoilers in this regard, but I'm aware of the dissatisfaction about the ending that exists. We'll see. We'll see.

Mar 24, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #88 of 223

Quote:

Damn, that sucks. Luckily I never had too many issues with bugs, at least after the patches I didn't. Overall, though, I like it more than Dragon Age Origins. Origins' combat, especially after multiple playthroughs, got really dull, especially having to trudge through places like the Deep Roads.

But yes, FemHawke is amazing. I love her voice, and it especially suits comical options well. Not to mention default FemHawke is delicious.
biggrin.gif

Yeah, the combat in DAII was much more agreeable since I play as a humongousword,  two-handed weapon user. The stamina system though was kind of broken at first, since you had to get a death blow to replenish it, and if you're a big ol' weapon wielder the faster characters are going to beat you to the kill unless your timing is right on the money. Playing a straight-up magic user in the first game is less tedious though.

Mmm... femHawke.

Mar 25, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #89 of 223

Quote:

Yeah, the combat in DAII was much more agreeable since I play as a humongousword,  two-handed weapon user. The stamina system though was kind of broken at first, since you had to get a death blow to replenish it, and if you're a big ol' weapon wielder the faster characters are going to beat you to the kill unless your timing is right on the money. Playing a straight-up magic user in the first game is less tedious though.

Mmm... femHawke.

The only way to play.

On the subject of Dragon Age, I'm a little worried with the third game. Apparently Bioware is going back to the drawing board with it, and I'm hoping they don't totally change the story or combat. By the end of the game was I was completely satisfied with the direction the story was going, there seemed to be a lot of promise there.

Mar 25, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #90 of 223
The main thing that pissed me off about ME3 is that I wasted a lot of time going to the Citadel after every planet based mission. I didn't wanna miss anything, so I felt compelled to go through every damn area on the Citadel so as not to miss sidequests. It was a chore, and really waste my damn time, especially when I spent those 20 minutes or so for nothing.

Next time, I'm just gonna go through the Citadel only after Priority missions, and hope all the sidequests available can be picked up all at once per every major break.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back