The Official JRPG Thread (aka Japanese Role Playing Games)
Mar 21, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #46 of 1,041
The only Super Robot Wars that I played was Endless Frontier, which I REALLY liked. Oh yeah, and a PSOne game that was fan translated. (played it on my CFW'd PSP).

As for Tales games, hell, if it's Tales, I love it. I didn't play enough Symphonia (I need to borrow my friend's GC and the game), and until I beat that one, I won't play the Wii sequel either.

Vesperia is probably my fave (actually it is) my fave current gen JRPG, so ToGf has a bit to live up to, but I'm sure I'll still enjoy it.

You guys see that Final Fantasy XIII-2 will have Mass effect costumes for Serah and Noel? OMG, I would play it again just for that. I'm a sucker for well costumed characters.

Mar 21, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #47 of 1,041
You must've played Alpha Gaiden... which might've not made sense at times cause it was the sequel to Alpha 1.

But yeah, shame that Endless Frontier 2 never came over (I'd like to this this is a cousin series to the SRW name haha).  Oh well there's room for fan translations!

Any of you played the .hack games?

http://andriasang.com/con0ct/dot_hack_something/

Before anyone who's never heard of it get any impressions just based on that link.  No it's not a fighting game.  It originally was an RPG simulating MMOs for the PS2 and PSP.

(I can't help but wonder if everything is jumping the versus fighting bandwagon, this and Persona 4 included)

Mar 21, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #48 of 1,041
I couldn't get into .Hack because I don't like MMOs, and even though it's not an MMO, it simulates one. No thanks.

Mar 21, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #49 of 1,041
Quote:
I couldn't get into .Hack because I don't like MMOs, and even though it's not an MMO, it simulates one. No thanks.

That's why I couldn't get into Dragon Age at all.  *rimshot*

/offtopic

Mar 22, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #51 of 1,041
I thought it did anyway.  I mean, recharge time on your spells?  And you have to pay mana for them too?  What?  One or the other plz.  What?  You had to nerf the mages?  They were too overpowered.   How about not giving them a party friendly spell that paralyzes and does DoT over a huge AoE at mid levels then.  Especially don't let them also use their magic power in place of their strength by the time they get to high levels.  Then they can use better weapons and armor than your fighters can, buff up with the strong but normally almost useless self-buffs reserved for mages, and then tank and beat the carp out of everything while their paralyzing, AoE, DoT spell recharges.  Oh wait, you actually did do all of that.  We need some more balance then...

My elven mage decked out in full plate armor and a big-ass sword sure rocks.  I wonder what could possibly pose a threat to him and restore balance to the gameplay?

It would surely be an epic foe.

Its name:  The Camera.

I died on several occasions because I couldn't focus the camera on the enemies to target them because they were too far away but they had no problem pelting my party with spells and arrows.  The AI was $DEITY-awful so everyone ran in different directions and got picked off one by one since I could target anything myself.  Thus my mage died ignobly at the hand of bandits in back ally ambush.  I got like halfway through but even with the awesome BioWare writing I couldn't take it anymore.

I just couldn't effectively (or at least easily) control the whole party of only 4 members.  The interface, mechanics, and camera are like they took an engine designed to just control a single character and kludged a party into it.  The engine has no fog of war so it just restricts your ability to move the camera freely instead so you can't spy on the other side of the map and so the engine doesn't have to worry about rendering it or what's going on there.  Its a $DEITY condemned concession to graphics whores.

The engine gives the party a maximum radius it can spread out in and limits the camera's movement to within that radius.  If everyone in your party is standing right next to each other you can move the camera a good deal away from everyone and easily click on distant enemies to target them.  If all you party members are spread out as far a engine will let them you can barely move the camera past the outer edge of the circle containing your party and will likely be unable to target the enemy unless all the terrain is perfectly flat since stuff like walls will get in the way of the camera and stop its movement instead of fading out and turning invisible or translucent.  It just serves to keep the number of polygons under control with out sacrificing the eye candy.  Too bad they sacrificed the game play instead....

I might just be too old school though.

How do I even remember my whole analysis of the game anyway.  Its been what, a year or two?

EDIT: spelling and grammar...

Mar 22, 2012 at 1:20 AM Post #52 of 1,041

Quote:

My elven mage decked out in full plate armor and a big-ass sword sure rocks.  I wonder what could possibly pose a threat to him and restore balance to the gameplay?

It would surely be an epic foe.

Its name:  The Camera.

Nice read, and this part was my favorite :))

Mar 22, 2012 at 2:27 AM Post #53 of 1,041
The game is just sad.  There was plenty of potential but I just couldn't stand the interface.  More battle strategy revolved around the fighting the camera than the enemies.

I wanted to like it.  I wanted to keep playing.  I just couldn't do it...

Mar 22, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #55 of 1,041
Finished Mass Effect 3 yesterday.

WHAT THE MOTHER EFF. NO JUST....NO.

In any case, I started Tales of Graces F, and I'm enjoying the little I've played already. Just makes me happy to play a standard JRPG.

Mar 23, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #57 of 1,041
I went into the game believing that people exaggerated how bad the ending was. Sadly, its pretty damn bad. Almost like a slap to the face for ME fans everywhere.

Mar 23, 2012 at 7:57 AM Post #58 of 1,041
In Graces be sure to use Sophie since arte usage carries over with her once you move away from the child arc.  The other characters don't get to keep theirs.  Titles for everyone carries over though.

Well that and you know... bigger stats among other things lol.

Mar 23, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #59 of 1,041
Yeah, that's the first thing I did, though I kinda wanna use young Richard.... he has Sword Rain! I spammed the hell out of that move in Eternia (coincidentally, I started a fresh run of Eternia/undub on my PSP).

Mar 23, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #60 of 1,041
.... Since I don't have my PS3, or Graces to play yet and simply been saying hearsay, I think I'm gonna do just that!  And this this is the PSP version of Eternia that's undubbed?

-knowing that Graces is out there and isn't getting any of it is making me crave more for it!-

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back