The Official JRPG Thread (aka Japanese Role Playing Games)
Mar 12, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #31 of 1,043
Overrated? Take that back. I keel u! :D

I love Parasite Eve (the first one)

The 2nd was an RE clone, (not an RE fan)

I tried PE: 3rd Birthday but it further changed how PE plays,and shooters on the PSP were fail because of the lack of analog. I may try it on the Vita if it works right.

Mar 12, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #32 of 1,043
Well I won't take back what I said !! 
wink_face.gif

I like the first PE quite a lot but don't like the game play as much. I thought the second one was a lot like RE, which I love, so I liked it more.

The 3rd Birthday play better on the Vita as you can assign the face buttons to the second analog stick. I like that feature a lot, but the gameplay is a killer for me. I don't like the gameplay one bit! It feels wonky to me and the story is messed up. No more Neo Mitochondrian creatures, some weird tentacle monsters... wait is this hentai? 
blink.gif

I like the Vita a lot and I recently got Silent Hill Origins for it. I love how you can assign the face buttons to the second joystick, it makes swapping weapons easier.

Quote:
Overrated? Take that back. I keel u!
biggrin.gif

I love Parasite Eve (the first one)
The 2nd was an RE clone, (not an RE fan)
I tried PE: 3rd Birthday but it further changed how PE plays,and shooters on the PSP were fail because of the lack of analog. I may try it on the Vita if it works right.

Mar 12, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #33 of 1,043
Does mapping the face buttons to the analogs work well? I figured it wouldnt translate all too well for shooters, since we're used to more price aiming than just 8 directions mapped to analogs which have a 360 degree directionality.

I guess you just aren't made for standard JRPGs, though PE was more of a hybrid, and the latter two aren't RPGs whatsoever.

edit:

Tales of Graces F tomorrow! I'm so excited... I dunno how I'm gonna deal with either NOT touching the game until I finish my first run of Mass Effect 3, or just outright ditching Mass Effect 3 for now and starting Tales! AGH! Decisions, decisions. One thing, I absolutely can't focus on two story oriented games. It's impossible for me, so I have to play one and not the other. :frowning2:

Mar 12, 2012 at 10:59 AM Post #34 of 1,043
The only way I can see it working out well for most people is if the Vita lets you map the left analog to the face buttons and the right analog to the PSP's sole analog nub. Thankfully, some PSP games are smart enough to allow a sort of southpaw control scheme to provide proper analog aiming at the cost of pure digital movement.

Even then, having only one wasn't the PSP's only problem with analog control...the nub wasn't exactly the most reliable over time (didn't help that Sony didn't bother to use a secure connection to the motherboard until the PSP-3000), the placement was poor, and it just never felt all that great to move.

Mar 12, 2012 at 11:46 AM Post #35 of 1,043
I hated the stupid nub on the PSP. Thankfully, most games only needed it for simple movements. A right 'nub' would have been probably just as bad as no analogs at all. Scratch that, a nub is better than nothing. All those PSP shooters that could have been decent... sadly, not so without anything to properly aim with.

Mar 13, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #36 of 1,043
imo,the psp analog was ok.use it while playing monster hunter and peace walker was nice.the only gripe is it's too slippery.wish it was rubberised like the dualshock 3 analogs

Mar 13, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #37 of 1,043
So I popped in tales of Graces F just to get to the first save point and see a little of the battle systems and just the game in general. I can't stop smiling. It's just such a breath of fresh air, to be able to play something so nostalgic. It's a cliche JRPG, and I absolutely ADORE it. I can play these types of games forever. Not enough of them in the world.

Sadly, I don't even think the game uses Dolby, let alone surround sound... it's not marked anywhere... so headphone gaming won't do much for it. :frowning2:

I haven't tested that yet, but we'll see. Tales of vesperia didn't have much in the way of surround sound cues, so I guess I should've expected it. At least I can enjoy it without headphones.

Mar 13, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #39 of 1,043
It's not advertised. :frowning2: It probably has surround, but maybe some basic form of it. Linear PCM?

Mar 14, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #40 of 1,043
Anyone else want a VP:3?

Mar 14, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #41 of 1,043
Oh dear god, yes. Valkyrie Profile: Hrist.

Though after Silmeria, I dunno how they'd go about doing that, unless it was a prequel. As much as I love Silmeria, it kinda went a bit ridiculous in the end.

Seeing as the world is in love with anti-heroes, a VP game focused on Hrist would be perfect right now.

Mar 14, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #42 of 1,043
Never finished any VP. The second was fun at first, but story slogged, and combat eventually became annoying. VP1 required you to play the game a certain way in order to progress to the true finale, and I despise that.

Mar 15, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #43 of 1,043
While the 'true' ending checklist is incredibly strict (I seriously doubt anyone did it without outside help), the game did sooo many things right. I'm seriously surprised the combat system didn't become the next big thing in RPGs.

The games do have their flaws, but what RPG doesn't?

Had they paid more attention to it, VP could have been bigger than Star Ocean.

Mar 15, 2012 at 5:33 AM Post #44 of 1,043

Tales of Destiny. Still one of my favorite games of all time. Has anybody played Resonance of Fate? Very underrated JRPG.

Mar 21, 2012 at 9:22 AM Post #45 of 1,043
I haven't yet, but considering the price I should get it already!

@MLE: Thank GOD you like Graces F, or rather thank god you're open minded.  -a smidget group likes to start up Vesperia vs Graces F bouts or just whine and moan-
Even if there's no surround sound to Graces F, with your headphones I'm sure all the sound effects etc etc still sound great, above and beyond. -wants to wait for his Q701 before starting Graces-

Big PE fan too.  Actually I'm pretty open minded to just about anything honestly.

Does the Yakuza series count as a jRPG sorta?  Well more like jAction heh.  Fan of the Shin Megami Tensei series too.

Tales of Destiny, and VP as well.  (Didn't beat the one on the PS2 yet though...)

Anyone here a fan of Super Robot Wars?  If you don't know what that is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEigzl0hRFI Prepare to get your mind blown!  Or stare at it in complete disgust give or take.

Out of curiosity, who here actually uses their high grade headphones on things like the PSP and has it made any difference for ya?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back