The Official JRPG Thread (aka Japanese Role Playing Games)
Dec 18, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #586 of 1,041
Tales of Destiny was the first rpg game i've ever played, back when i was young and video games were all relatively new to me. I absolutely love it.
I Just recently discovered that there are more tales games. (I'm slapping myself for finding out so late)

@Mad Lust Envy 
how would you rank the tales games from best to worst in both a critical and personal perspective?

Dec 18, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #587 of 1,041
That's quite a loaded question. For the ones released here (or easily available online): The battle systems and overall plot of the game make rating them hard, as I may prefer one game's battle system over another, but prefer the story of the latter, even with an inferior battle system.

For me:

Best story/characters:

Tales of Vesperia (360)
Tales of Destiny (PS1)
Tales of Eternia (PSP english. Order it online from Europe. (PS1: aka Tales of Destiny II in America)
Tales of the Abyss (PS2/3DS)
Tales of Phantasia (PS1.... emulated on PC with unofficial english translation)
Tales of Xillia (PS3)
Tales of Graces F (PS3)

I didn't really play through Symphonia. Good thing I'll get a second chance with Chronicles coming out)

Gameplay:

Tales of Graces F (easily the best battle system of any english released Tales)
Tales of Vesperia
Tales of Eternia/Destiny II
Tales of Xillia
Tales of the Abyss
Tales of Destiny
Tales of Phantasia

I love all of them

You may also wanna look into Star Ocean, especially 2nd Story and First departure which is quite a bit like the 2D Tales games (Tales games were basically spawned off Star Ocean back in the day, with some of the same devs)

Story/Characters

Star Ocean II aka Star Ocean 2nd Story (Ps1/PSP)
Star Ocean First Departure (PSP)
Star Ocean IV or Star Ocean International (360 and PS3)
Star Ocean III (PS2)

Gameplay:

Star Ocean II
Star Ocean IV
Star Ocean First departure
Star Ocean III

You owe it to yourself to at least play SO II/2nd Story. That game in particular is amazing.

Dec 18, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #589 of 1,041
  I suppose the reason I jumped the gun on Ys Celceta...well, let's face it, JRPGs have this nasty habit of fetching stupid high prices sooner than expected.

Not Falcom games. They all pretty much get PSthebest versions eventually for a discounted price.
It's the games that don't get the discounted versions that spike up.

Just cleared about 33% of the forest in Ys Celceta. Waiting for gfaqs to update the walkthrough. Enjoyable, but it's pretty standard fare for an action rpg. No real sense of epicness in this game.

Ys games are all hack n slash glory. The epicness usually comes later on in the plot.

Tales of Destiny was the first rpg game i've ever played, back when i was young and video games were all relatively new to me. I absolutely love it.
I Just recently discovered that there are more tales games. (I'm slapping myself for finding out so late)

ToD was so good! Enough for me to buy the Director's Version (PS2) which... I didn't finish :x though I did beat it on the PS1 version.
They added a bit of stuff in the PS2 version, namely the backstory behind Leon.

Jan 13, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #590 of 1,041
my 1st JRPG ever was Wild Arms one <3 i was like 8 years old,  then my brother got me a DVD will all the RPG games from SNES to Sega :3 breath of fire was sure cool!! 

the PS one had many cool RPG games specially the old school Final Fanstay, 

my 1st PS2 RPG game was Dot hack, i loved it a lot!! and Dot hack G.U was Epic!! , Tales of series is Epic too!! voice actors , story, the wight of the character itself, for now it does beat final fantasy hand down, for Star Ocean on PS2 the 1st disc was cool yet the 2nd disc was bad!! i hated how the story changed!! it was way way cooler on the 1st disc. 

didn't play a lot of JRPG on PS3 but Atailar Iris 2nd game was really hard and awesome and did remind me how with the awesomeness or the jRPG, it was a very very good game

on the PSP nothing was better than the Legend of Heroes series!! it was too epic!! 

Jan 22, 2014 at 9:47 AM Post #593 of 1,041
  Tales of Xillia for $10 (PS+).

Worth it? I told myself I was going to opt for physical copies whenever possible, but the price here is just too tempting.

...Oh, never mind, I'm just gonna pull the trigger anyway.

Lol, I am holding out and buying the physical copy. That way I will actually see it when it just sits on a shelf not being played. I have a really bad problem of playing 10 hours of a jrpg and quitting them. Hell I am like 90% through xenoblade chronicles, but I have not gone back to it months (I was getting really really bored of the area I am).

Anyways I spent my remaining $7ish from my $10 ps4 credit on Farcry 3 blood dragon and limbo.

Jan 25, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #594 of 1,041
Xillia was great, and definitely worth that price, though as far as Tales games of that gen goes, it was the weakest for me. Vesperia and Graces F are both much better, IMHO.

Feb 8, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #596 of 1,041
almost there! just reminding y'all tales fans out there 
cool.gif

Feb 8, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #597 of 1,041
I just now started playing Dark Cloud 2.  Knowing that Level 5 also made Ni No Kuni-- of which I adore-- and going off a friend's recommendation, I'm finally warming up to this game.  Its story semantics are pretty wacky though.

Feb 11, 2014 at 8:27 AM Post #599 of 1,041
Dark Cloud 2 > Ni no Kuni

Feb 11, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #600 of 1,041
I can't really agree thus far.  So far I like Ni No Kuni more by a good amount, but I've only gotten as far as finishing Balance Valley.  I do like a lot of the added extras in Dark Cloud 2 though, like weapon synthesis and idea creation through the camera.  Some of the puzzles and tasks for when recruiting people are fun as well.

Ni No Kuni's biggest weakness was what the story devolved into after you defeat Shadar.  Then again it's not like Dark Cloud 2 has an strong story either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back