The Official JRPG Thread (aka Japanese Role Playing Games)
Feb 21, 2014 at 12:16 AM Post #617 of 1,043
If I were to rate the best main Final Fantasy games without bias (out of the ones I've played): These feel like legitimate Final Fantasy games that anyone should try and will probably enjoy.

*VI (SNES)
*IV: The Complete Collection (the PSP's version is just perfect)
*IX
*VII
*IV (DS)

X was good, not amazing enough to consider a must play FF, and didn't quite feel like Final Fantasy. I didn't play V. II was always a black sheep of the family, with it's polarizing battle system. XII was a bit...odd as an FF. XIII is considered meh all around and are FF only in name, not execution. XI and XIV are MMOs which I don't think should be considered main entries.

If I were to rate them by personal bias and preferences:

*VII
*VI
*IV (PSP collection)
*IX
*IV (DS)

I, III (DS), VIII, X were good but not what I consider amazing.

Feb 21, 2014 at 6:23 AM Post #619 of 1,043
i would say FF10 was the last good game though, i enjoyed all the SNES/DS/PSP FF they were awsome and i did play the remake too, was fun specially on the PSP

i didn't play FF tactic  on the PS one but i played the remake on the GBA which was way way cool , i really loved the atmosphere, game play and everything , the story was cool in a way but not super, 

the game play is cool but i think Wild Arms XF did a better job in this arena, but to be fair XF came way later :p but it was cool too

Feb 21, 2014 at 10:04 AM Post #620 of 1,043
I like ff7, 8 and 9 and do not like 10 at all, but I would say-- that even though 7 is a really great game-- it started showing bad signs of where the series would start going.  The main character had an identity crisis and the main villain had mother issues. FF8 was where things really started going downhill and taking a turn for the worse.  The main character is a complete loser and the story devolved into a pathetic romance with very weak backstories and plot elements all around.

Final Fantasy used to be a very good series up until 8, but then degenerated into a very japanese-esque melodramatic series of games with some of the most pathetic and annoying characters on the face of the planet.  Not to mention the whole MMORPG and spinoff syndrome that's plagued half of the new releases too.

My votes for the best FF games would go like this:

FF6
FF4
FF7

I have not played 12 but was told it was pretty decent.  10 and 13 are horrible.  8 and 9 are only tolerable from an objective rating of their merits, but are still personal favorites of mine.  (IMO, YMMV, FWIW, OMGWTFBBQ, +1, -1 for the fans who might get offended.)

Feb 21, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #621 of 1,043
12 is an excellent adventure/rpg game in its own right. One of the best there is.Though its "final fantasyness" was kinda low. That's why ff fans don't really like it. When you play 12, just pretend it doesn't have a final fantasy tag on it.

Feb 21, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #622 of 1,043
the bazar was kind of empty on 12 but i loved the area and the atmosphere there, the rest of the thing in 12 was epic fail, but the bazar area was cool yet low on content in the same time :< 

Feb 21, 2014 at 1:54 PM Post #623 of 1,043
Waiting for Tuesday. SYMPHONIA CHRONICLES, baby!

As huge a Tales fan as I am... I actually skipped over Symphonia last time (didn't have a Gamecube until near the end). Looking forward to old school Tales gameplay.

Feb 21, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #625 of 1,043
Waiting for Tuesday. SYMPHONIA CHRONICLES, baby!

As huge a Tales fan as I am... I actually skipped over Symphonia last time (didn't have a Gamecube until near the end). Looking forward to old school Tales gameplay.

I pre-ordered. Haha. I actually discovered the Tales games very late. I'm playing through Abyss on my 3DS right now, I'm about 40 hours in and I like it a lot. I also bought up Graces F and Xillia.

The game I beat before this was Zelda Link Between Worlds. OMG that game was amazing, probably the best game I've played in 10 years.

How many of you guys are pre-ordering the Final Fantasy 10 Special Edition? I think I'll go put my deposit down at GameStop today after work. It's #1 seller on Amazon right now among PS3 games. Shows you how far JRPGs have come in the western world.

Feb 21, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #626 of 1,043

I pre-ordered. Haha. I actually discovered the Tales games very late. I'm playing through Abyss on my 3DS right now, I'm about 40 hours in and I like it a lot. I also bought up Graces F and Xillia.

The game I beat before this was Zelda Link Between Worlds. OMG that game was amazing, probably the best game I've played in 10 years.

How many of you guys are pre-ordering the Final Fantasy 10 Special Edition? I think I'll go put my deposit down at GameStop today after work. It's #1 seller on Amazon right now among PS3 games. Shows you how far JRPGs have come in the western world.

I pre-ordered last month, super psyched to play through it again.

Feb 23, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #630 of 1,043
Though its "final fantasyness" was kinda low. That's why ff fans don't really like it. When you play 12, just pretend it doesn't have a final fantasy tag on it.

I can't say I agree with this.  I'm a long term FF fan, and felt that it was a phenomenal game.  While I feel the FF series was strongest in the SNES run, I felt that XII took a brave and creative approach to the combat system which turned out to be excellent, one I easily found to be the most enjoyable in the entire series.  The story was quite enjoyable, and it was probably the last RPG that I played in an endurance fashion, completing the game in roughly a week.  I've always been the type that enjoys a game most for the story, and felt it was lacking in no way or felt out of place.  If it helps give an idea of where I'm coming from, the FF that I found the worst by far to me was VIII, having an utterly contrived feel that made me eagerly await the release of IX in order to have a sense of credibility regained.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back