The Official JRPG Thread (aka Japanese Role Playing Games)
Feb 25, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #648 of 1,036
Started playing FF XIV the other day, looks good. Plays well enough for me to want to pay the Sub fees

also Dropping a new AMD 7870OC into my pc this week... and yes it is an total upgrade over my lil HD 6950 q.q, faster in every way it can b. It even draws less power >.> which means I can OC it more and have lower temps q.q 

Feb 26, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #649 of 1,036
I have some things to say about Symphonia:

Quite disappointed to find out that the game is running at 30fps. I distinctly remember the original running at 60fps. Hell, almost all Tales games run at 60fps when at LEAST in the battle screen.

What, Sony/Bamco... this is an ancient game. There is no reason to chop the framerate by half. It's ironic that the true PS3 Tales games run a 60fps for the battle screens, but this simple rehash doesn't, and in fact downgraded the framerate from the original. Where is the improvement here? The game's graphics look... HORIBLE. I mean... if this was supposed to be an HD, it looks more like an upscale, and not rerendering to 720p. The game looks better on an gamecube/wii emulator than on the PS3.

I'm not playing it for the graphics though. I'm playing it because I missed it last time. Now I'm wishing I had played it on GC instead.

The good thing about the PS4 is that it seems most games are running with an unlocked framerate, which I prefer over capping it at 30fps. It may dip below 60, but anything above a consistent 30 works better for me. If we get any ports on PS4, you can bet they're probably gonna be smooth as butter.

Feb 26, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #650 of 1,036
I have some things to say about Symphonia:

Quite disappointed to find out that the game is running at 30fps. I distinctly remember the original running at 60fps. Hell, almost all Tales games run at 60fps when at LEAST in the battle screen.

What, Sony/Bamco... this is an ancient game. There is no reason to chop the framerate by half. It's ironic that the true PS3 Tales games run a 60fps for the battle screens, but this simple rehash doesn't, and in fact downgraded the framerate from the original. Where is the improvement here? The game's graphics look... HORIBLE. I mean... if this was supposed to be an HD, it looks more like an upscale, and not rerendering to 720p. The game looks better on an gamecube/wii emulator than on the PS3.

I'm not playing it for the graphics though. I'm playing it because I missed it last time. Now I'm wishing I had played it on GC instead.

The good thing about the PS4 is that it seems most games are running with an unlocked framerate, which I prefer over capping it at 30fps. It may dip below 60, but anything above a consistent 30 works better for me. If we get any ports on PS4, you can bet they're probably gonna be smooth as butter.

Well actually, the battle scenes run at 60 fps and the World Map scenes run at 30 fps

MAD LUST I highly recommend you emulate it, yes the emulated BGM is... broken but a simply fooBar Play list can solve that issue, and trust me at FULL 1080p and 60fps ToS looks great! 

Feb 26, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #651 of 1,036
I know. But no, im gonna play my crappy 30fps ps3 version since it works without tweaking.

Feb 26, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #652 of 1,036
I know. But no, im gonna play my crappy 30fps ps3 version since it works without tweaking.

tweaking... putting together a FooBar Playlists isn't much of a tweak. I've had my Dolphin 3.0 settings the same for like a year now, and yes I find 3.0 to be the most stable, but I have the newest version too just in case 

Feb 27, 2014 at 6:22 AM Post #653 of 1,036
tried Persona 4 Golden on the Vita but I just couldn't get into it.  I got to the start of June and decided it wasn't worth any more time investing into it.  I have ordered Y's though as that looks more my thing.  I do still love JRPGs but find a lot of them have some really complicated mechanics and systems that I can't get my head around and this sadly puts me off the game due to my completionist side being terrified of making the wrong decision etc.

Feb 27, 2014 at 10:08 AM Post #654 of 1,036
Lol, you sound like me. If the mechanics get too cumbersome, it puts me off. Ys is very simplistic on the Vita. Shouldn't be too hard for you. The only real cumbersome thing is managing materials you find so you can make good weapons, etc. I have always been someone against complicated item synthesis, which happens A LOT in rpgs. I won't touch the Atelier games because of it. I bought one and regretted it.

Feb 27, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #655 of 1,036
Yes!  I tried one Atelier game and couldn't stand it, partly due to what you just said and also I don't like the whole countdown days part of it.  TBH I even struggled with Tales Of Graces F because of the item synthesis part although I don't think it was explained that well, generally if I have to look up a guide for something in game then I get annoyed.  I quite enjoyed Cross Edge though..

Feb 27, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #656 of 1,036
Well actually, the battle scenes run at 60 fps and the World Map scenes run at 30 fps  
MAD LUST I highly recommend you emulate it, yes the emulated BGM is... broken but a simply fooBar Play list can solve that issue, and trust me at FULL 1080p and 60fps ToS looks great! 

I'd believe you...if you were talking about Vesperia, Graces f or Xillia.

Symphonia PS3? I just got to see it with my own eyes, and they did NOT bring the framerate back up to 60 FPS like the GCN version, which is just inexcusable. Then there's the strange matter of them adding more voice-acted dialogue for the extra content, except it's apparently low-quality and they still didn't give the Skits any English voice-acting! (You could get around that by enabling Japanese voices, but...they just don't do it for me for some reason. Lloyd in particular sounds a bit TOO young for someone who runs around beating the crap out of things with wooden swords.)

The GCN original's low resolution is painful to look at on an HDTV these days, and there's a whole lot of content that was added in the PS2 version (which the PS3 version is derived from), but I especially hate low framerates, so I'll just stick it out with what I've had for years and just neglected to play for some reason.

Feb 27, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #657 of 1,036
I picked up Symphonia yesterday and talk about a bare bones presentation. Wow not even a manual and the inside cover is just a wall of warning text. Haha. Gives me more reason to just download games off the PSN from now on (like MLE). I guess physical copies of games are a thing of the past.

I never played Symphonia so I'm pretty stoked, haha. I'm still playing Tales of Abyss on my 3DS. I'm almost done. I'm in Mt. Roneal about to face off against the 3 remaining god-generals. I'm at level 71. Haha (I grinded a lot). 70+ hours in now.

Once I'm done I'm popping Bravely Default into the 3DS and I'm firing up the PS3 for Symphonia.

Feb 27, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #658 of 1,036
  I picked up Symphonia yesterday and talk about a bare bones presentation. Wow not even a manual and the inside cover is just a wall of warning text. Haha. Gives me more reason to just download games off the PSN from now on (like MLE). I guess physical copies of games are a thing of the past.

I never played Symphonia so I'm pretty stoked, haha. I'm still playing Tales of Abyss on my 3DS. I'm almost done. I'm in Mt. Roneal about to face off against the 3 remaining god-generals. I'm at level 71. Haha (I grinded a lot). 70+ hours in now.

Once I'm done I'm popping Bravely Default into the 3DS and I'm firing up the PS3 for Symphonia.

*sigh* darn it nintendo... 2014 is turning out to be a good year... why they waited so long... *sigh* oh well I guess 

Feb 27, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #659 of 1,036
Utterly off topic, seeing that its not a JRPG, but made by one of the big companies:  I started replaying Drakengard yesterday due to expectation/excitement for #3 being released in the near future, and forgot just how fun it is for me.  Especially considering I know just how crazy the story will become later...  I showed a buddy of mine one of the videos from the first game, which lead him to go What, which is exactly the warning he was given.  I do hope #3 holds to the same level of insanity.

Feb 27, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #660 of 1,036
Picked up The World Ends With You for the DS and Tales of Symphonia Chronicles. Sitting on my desk, waiting to be played.

In other news, I accidentally pryed out some information from a local game shop. According to them, the new Tales game is due to be released in the 4th quarter this year. It wasn't named Zestria or Xillia 2 so I was really confused as to what it was.

The title was in the their computer system, but it had no price set, which the employee said that something like that indicates a 4th quarter release.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back