The Official Grado 325i Owners Club.
Feb 14, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #1,756 of 3,640
One thing I learned today, never judge headphone just switching from other headphone. you simply can not judge sound if you listen to it for couple of minutes, it just takes time until my brain and ears adgust to tonal range of new phones. After listening to 325i for couple of hours I switched back to D5000 and it felt very dense and blury. I took my lesson and now I am really happy that I bought 325i, I might actually have perfect setup as far as cans go, I have 325i which is very sharp, very forward and very rockin, I have HD650 which is balanced yet clean and airy for jazz and classics and I have amazing closed beauty D5000 which is perfect for any type of electronic music. Only problem at the moment is D5000 isolation, I need to get DX-1000 and I am settled, not that anybody cares but still
darthsmile.gif

P.S. add me to the list as a proud owner #8310
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 14, 2010 at 7:04 PM Post #1,757 of 3,640
Another thing, a radically new sound may make you think you no longer have ears for some of your older sound, but this will be the case again, only for a finite time. What I did in the past was to hastily clean house and sold my other cans, including my HD650. I don't miss the D5000's, but I miss the HD650's.

Feb 14, 2010 at 7:10 PM Post #1,758 of 3,640
Same thing is happening to me now with HD650 I feel that I don`t need it any more but I don`t want to sell it because I know it is the most scalable and balanced can I have, so maybe one day I will try little dots cheap balanced setup
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 16, 2010 at 6:30 PM Post #1,759 of 3,640
I have to say these bad boys have surprising amount of bass
o2smile.gif

P.S. Free Jazz is superb on these phones.

Feb 17, 2010 at 4:20 AM Post #1,760 of 3,640
Hi to all Grado SR325i owners

I recently bought a pair of Grado SR325i, i do love them, but I can't really stand their piercing highs, especially when listening to strong music (punk rock and hardcore, 90% of what I listen, in fact ... won't even try twice listening noise bands like Melt Banana with temp). Wood mods are said to reduce those highs, did anyone experienced this ?

I already have a little dot I+ with mullard 8616 tubes to reduce the highs

Feb 17, 2010 at 5:54 AM Post #1,761 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stef32 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I recently bought a pair of Grado SR325i, i do love them, but I can't really stand their piercing highs, especially when listening to strong music (punk rock and hardcore, 90% of what I listen, in fact ... won't even try twice listening noise bands like Melt Banana with temp). Wood mods are said to reduce those highs, did anyone experienced this ?

I've found that Grados need equalizing. Some people here see that as a sin or whatever, but their argument really doesn't hold water. Grados are extremely colored, plain and simple. So there's nothing wrong with doing something about that. Some people *properly* eq their phones with a parametric eq. I do it by ear with a free VST graphic eq called Linear Phase. At any rate, if you don't already eq, you may want to try it. Grados can sound amazing when you bring down those highs. Just the way they are.

Here's a link to eq the so called proper way. I haven't quite figured it all out yet so I still do it by ear.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/how...torial-413900/

Feb 17, 2010 at 8:17 AM Post #1,762 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stef32 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

try adding a 75 ohm impedance adapter, their about £10ish on ebay

Feb 17, 2010 at 8:03 PM Post #1,763 of 3,640
Well, my 325is is off to be magnumized (well magnum lite anyway)... I'm so psyched to upgrade my favorite headphones, but bummed that I'll be without them for a few weeks...

Feb 18, 2010 at 12:11 AM Post #1,765 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by kunalraiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the magnum,is it really an upgrade

I do think so, both physically and sonically.

Feb 20, 2010 at 11:23 AM Post #1,766 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by maddin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2, one thing amongst others I really appreciate about my SR325i is that I listen with a low volume and enjoy it a lot. You don't need the volume turned up to get the energy and you have details...
As for the comfort I have no problems - maybe my head is a bit strange. When I wear my ATH M50 I really feel that I am wearing a headphone, which is not the case with the Grados...

This is what I have been looking for, a low volume comment on these phones. almost all my listening is low level (work in a cubicle farm). I never much liked the IEM or closed sound factor. Open, tranparent is what works for me. I look forward to getting the 325is very very soon.

Feb 20, 2010 at 11:50 AM Post #1,767 of 3,640
I really like my 325is with the jumbo or frankenpads, and a particular obscure SS Chinese amp (G&W TW-J1); weirdly I can't stand these headphones with any other amp (the piercing highs are real!), and this amp sounds like absolute cr@p with any other headphones. Together they are as detailed, dynamic and balanced as anything else I own or have ever owned, and not fatiguing at all, real giant killers IMHO.

Synergy, go figure
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 20, 2010 at 3:22 PM Post #1,768 of 3,640
I'm still befuddled by those who think the 325's SQ is anything but terribly brittle, screetchy, zippy, irritating, and way beyond any sense of balanced sound. I've been listening for years to quality phones and these are by far the most disappointing phones I've ever owned. Compare these to 60's and you'll be amazed at the signifcant increase of the high end to the point of pain! The 60's are balanced, the 325's are tipped to the high end beyond reason, obscuring any other possible sonic advantages...of course, just my opinion.

Feb 20, 2010 at 4:01 PM Post #1,769 of 3,640
Quote:

Originally Posted by amham /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm still befuddled by those who think the 325's SQ is anything but terribly brittle, screetchy, zippy, irritating, and way beyond any sense of balanced sound. I've been listening for years to quality phones and these are by far the most disappointing phones I've ever owned. Compare these to 60's and you'll be amazed at the signifcant increase of the high end to the point of pain! The 60's are balanced, the 325's are tipped to the high end beyond reason, obscuring any other possible sonic advantages...of course, just my opinion.

Just out of curiosity, have you tried equalizing them? There isn't a Grado out there that doesn't need eq imho, but they can sound amazing if one takes the time to eq.

Feb 20, 2010 at 4:11 PM Post #1,770 of 3,640
hi

i am planing on buying a grado sr 325i and want to know what is the best sub USD500 dac+amp combo.

i listen to music on my pc and currently am planing on getting the Musical Fidelity V-DAC Musical Fidelity V-CAN Tube Headphone Amplifier

please give me you suggestions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back