The Official Echobox Explorer Thread
Sep 18, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #2,341 of 2,481
Well, I wish that I had found this Forum sooner. I ordered an Explorer in November and for the last 10 months have been promised a DAP to be delivered anyday. The DAP arrived last week. Lovely mahogany case, hefty USB cable but I don't know Android and had no idea how to install music. No instructions in the box. The DAP doesn't appear on the desktop as a drive so a couple emails and it appears I need a special android app to access the box. I am a tidal subscriber and entered my info but the installed version is very old and couldn't connect to the Tidal servers. The WiFi and bluetooth don't work. So I'm a little frustrated as I have this really nice DAP and can't listen to music. Last night the Echobox folks send me an update that is supposed to correct my problems. It requires a micro sd card (of course I don't have one although I just borrowed one this afternoon.) I had a really unsavory back and forth with the team echobox and decided to return it. That wasn't well received.... So, now I'm trying to get the update installed and I'm having a hell of a time. First, I formatted as instructed, change security settings, power off, insert card ( is the card supposed to fit flush? stick out a bit? doesn't seem very secure...) power on and swipe up and then nothing happens. What am I doing wrong folks? i really want this work.

Sep 18, 2017 at 7:14 PM Post #2,343 of 2,481
The card should not stick out, you have to push it in till a small click is heard and then the card should end up being just slightly recessed in the opening. One thing to check is that the file name you put on the card is "update.zip". try that and let us know what happens.
Well, I wish that I had found this Forum sooner. I ordered an Explorer in November and for the last 10 months have been promised a DAP to be delivered anyday. The DAP arrived last week. Lovely mahogany case, hefty USB cable but I don't know Android and had no idea how to install music. No instructions in the box. The DAP doesn't appear on the desktop as a drive so a couple emails and it appears I need a special android app to access the box. I am a tidal subscriber and entered my info but the installed version is very old and couldn't connect to the Tidal servers. The WiFi and bluetooth don't work. So I'm a little frustrated as I have this really nice DAP and can't listen to music. Last night the Echobox folks send me an update that is supposed to correct my problems. It requires a micro sd card (of course I don't have one although I just borrowed one this afternoon.) I had a really unsavory back and forth with the team echobox and decided to return it. That wasn't well received.... So, now I'm trying to get the update installed and I'm having a hell of a time. First, I formatted as instructed, change security settings, power off, insert card ( is the card supposed to fit flush? stick out a bit? doesn't seem very secure...) power on and swipe up and then nothing happens. What am I doing wrong folks? i really want this work.

Sep 18, 2017 at 7:30 PM Post #2,344 of 2,481
The card should not stick out, you have to push it in till a small click is heard and then the card should end up being just slightly recessed in the opening. One thing to check is that the file name you put on the card is "update.zip". try that and let us know what happens.
That's what i thought. The card does not click and stay in so there must be something wrong with the slot. I tried two different cards.

Sep 18, 2017 at 9:35 PM Post #2,347 of 2,481
@jackcornell if your fingernail is not long enough to push the card all the way in, definitely try taking @bearFNF advice and use a credit card. Should work just fine.

When placing the "update" file onto the SD card in preparation for installation, make sure it is spelled out in all lowercase letters (update.zip) as this does make a difference in the functionality of the software.

The reason you "need an app" when you connect the Explorer to your laptop is because you have a MAC. This is the exact same for quite literally every other Android device on the market, and is due to the way the MAC OS is set to handle Android. We agree it is annoying, but Apple doesn't really seem to care to fix it, likely as they would rather have you purchase an Apple device.

As I have said in email, and over Facebook, we (Echobox) are happy to work with you on a return. The only things we will not do is send you a return label or compensation for your original shipping.

Let's hope, however, that you can simply get the device updated and proceed to enjoy it :wink:

For your WiFi issues, please be sure you are connecting the Explorer to a 2G WiFi band. The Explorer does not contain a 5G antenna, so 2G is the signal you will want to use.

For Bluetooth, if you would please explain the problems you are having with it, we will be happy to take a look and try to troubleshoot.

Sep 18, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #2,348 of 2,481
If you are an IGG backer who has received your Explorer, please reply to this with the following questions answered:

1) Does your Explorer "Crackle and Pop"?
a) If yes, does it happen often?
b) If yes, does it continue while playing music?
c) If yes, during what function do you notice it the most? (i.e. charging, while on standby, when playing a track....)

2) Does your Explorer "hiss" while streaming over WiFi?
a) If yes, does it happen while not streaming but still connected to WiFi?

This will help us get a bearing, both YES and NO answers are equally important! Thanks :)

I know this is old, but I figure its worth answering since I just got one.

1) Yes
a) All the time
b) No
c) It pops whenever starting music, stopping music, and skipping tracks.

2) Yes, most noticeable with IEMs or other sensitive headphones.
a) yes

Sep 18, 2017 at 10:01 PM Post #2,349 of 2,481
I know this is old, but I figure its worth answering since I just got one.

1) Yes
a) All the time
b) No
c) It pops whenever starting music, stopping music, and skipping tracks.

2) Yes, most noticeable with IEMs or other sensitive headphones.
a) yes

Thanks for responding! Make sure you check out the new update we released the other day :)

https://echoboxaudio.com/pages/downloads

Sep 19, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #2,350 of 2,481
Hi There,

I sent an email to EB about this, but I need an answer fairly quickly, so maybe someone here can help. I updated the Android OS on my Explorer, but I noticed that there is an update for UAPP and TIDAL. Do I need to install these in the same way that I updated the OS? Do I need to erase and reformat my SD card each time? And, can I update both at the same time?

Sep 19, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #2,351 of 2,481
Hi There,

I sent an email to EB about this, but I need an answer fairly quickly, so maybe someone here can help. I updated the Android OS on my Explorer, but I noticed that there is an update for UAPP and TIDAL. Do I need to install these in the same way that I updated the OS? Do I need to erase and reformat my SD card each time? And, can I update both at the same time?

There should be no need to erase and reformat card. You only had to do that for the explorer update since that updates the OS.

Just copy the update files for UAPP and Tidal onto your SD card and use the APK installer.

Sep 19, 2017 at 5:58 PM Post #2,352 of 2,481
I just copied the APK files to the "download" folder on the explorer, then used the file browser on the explorer to find them and select them and then installed them.

Hi There,

There should be no need to erase and reformat card. You only had to do that for the explorer update since that updates the OS.

Just copy the update files for UAPP and Tidal onto your SD card and use the APK installer.

Sep 20, 2017 at 4:03 AM Post #2,353 of 2,481
A couple of days in since upgrading to the newest available software update and I'm still downloading my offline Tidal playlist.
Initially I experienced all sorts of bugs, conflicts where the unit would not operate as expected leaving the Explorer to lock up and hang on several occasions.

I deleted Tidal and reinstalled. Booted down then up. Those actions seemed to provide opportunity to download my offline content. However, this is extremely slow - 600 tracks in 36 hours??
Around about 612 tracks in I lost Wi-Fi completely where the explorer would not connect and/or not recognize my saved Wi-Fi data.
After several attempts involving shutting the Tidal app and Explorer itself, it appears to have righted itself with the remaining tracks on the playlist downloading.

For me thus far, the current SW, Tidal and UAPP updates are as buggy, temperamental and completely unreliable as the original that came with the unit.

I have yet to put to test that Tidal offline is working away from any internet connection, this will take place if and when the remainder of the download has-been completed.

Sep 20, 2017 at 4:08 AM Post #2,354 of 2,481
I'm also experiencing extreme slowness with Tidal downloading offline content - it only seems to download when the screen is on, and takes about 5 mins a track.

Sep 20, 2017 at 4:14 AM Post #2,355 of 2,481
If anyone else is experiencing issues with WiFi or TIDAL on their Explorer, please email team@eboxaudio.com and we will be happy to try and help troubleshoot.

Remember, the only two issues solved by the new software update were Time/Date Auto Update and MiceoSD Card Compatibility.

UAPP also fixed many in-app issues with their update, but these pertain only to the app.

As for TIDAL, 2.0.1 fixed a few issues present in the new TIDAL 2.0 update, but is far from being free of bugs. Many of the issues I experience with TIDAL on the Explorer I also experience on my Galaxy S8+. I would say hang in there, and send as much feedback as possible to TIDAL. Hopefully they will release a more stable version in 2.0.2 (or even 2.1!) :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back