The Official Echobox Explorer Thread
Sep 20, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #2,371 of 2,481
Got it, I hear that also, now that I am looking for it. Not every time, but occasionally.

PS - I don't hear this with my less sensitive headphones...

Its not a normal noise floor white noise hiss it's clearly interference from the Wi-Fi. Only happens at the start of songs when they're buffering or any other time there's data traffic. Almost like a tone less version of the noise you would hear when an older GSM phone was next to a speaker.

Happens with my KZ ZS5 and TFZ Ex 5 as well as my AT WS99s. Only one it's barely noticeable on is the thinksound on1

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2017 at 8:22 PM Post #2,372 of 2,481
There is still the issue with USBAUPP when you select ‘shuffle all’ then press the volume nob to put the screen into sleep so you can put Explorer inyr pocket, ferinstance, it will play the first song and then stop. You have to hit the volume nob again to get it going again. Its crap, a bug.

I havent tested listening to music over wifi, and havent had the Tidal issues.. yesterday i connected to a Bluetooth speaker and when i tried to play music through USBAP got an ‘cannot load ALSA’ error..

Besides these bugs, the player sounds really good, sounds awesome through my car and Primaluna amp, mind you Im a conservative 3.5mm cable audio stereo guy.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2017 at 9:15 PM Post #2,373 of 2,481
That's really weird , that is how I have been using mine almost since day one and never had this issue when I listen to UAPP.
There is still the issue with USBAUPP when you select ‘shuffle all’ then press the volume nob to put the screen into sleep so you can put Explorer inyr pocket, ferinstance, it will play the first song and then stop. You have to hit the volume nob again to get it going again. Its crap, a bug.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2017 at 12:14 AM Post #2,374 of 2,481

I havent tested listening to music over wifi, and havent had the Tidal issues.. yesterday i connected to a Bluetooth speaker and when i tried to play music through USBAP got an ‘cannot load ALSA’ error..

Besides these bugs, the player sounds really good, sounds awesome through my car and Primaluna amp, mind you Im a conservative 3.5mm cable audio stereo guy.

Is this using the latest released version of UAPP, 3.6.5?

If not, please visit this link to download it:

https://echoboxaudio.com/pages/downloads

Sep 21, 2017 at 12:18 AM Post #2,376 of 2,481
I'd just like to thank the team at echobox. You all have been so quick to answer my questions via email and have been very helpful. Even if the product itself still has a couple of challenges, the customer service has been top notch.

Since updating the OS on the Explorer last night I haven't had any popping sounds when skipping tracks. The wi-fi interference static is now significantly less noticeable, but its still quite annoying. I ordered an iFi earbuddy last night and I'm hoping that raises the noise floor enough to squelch that static.

Thanks for the kind words :) Can't recommend the earbuddy enough!! Picked one up from the IFI team in Germany, and it works pure magic when using earphones plugged into an airplane audio jack. Completely eliminates the hiss! Have now upgraded to the IE Match, which is essentially the big brother of the earbuddy, and it's one of the best products in my arsenal.

Sep 21, 2017 at 12:18 AM Post #2,377 of 2,481
Good Morning All,

Thanks to each of you who responded to my request for help. Because EB takes a fair amount of criticism in this forum, I wanted to relay my positive experience with their support crew. They have usually responded to my questions within hours, and they have been patient when answering my newbie questions and thorough in their explanations. I know that some posters here might think to themselves that EB personnel are only doing their jobs, but we have all had experiences with companies that never respond to support requests, and I appreciate it when someone does something well.

I hope each of you has a pleasant day.

Thanks man!

Sep 21, 2017 at 2:33 AM Post #2,378 of 2,481
Since you previous post stated "I'm pleased to say that the USB audio app appears to be operating as expected, through very brief testing, prior to this release it didn't work at all.", could you please elaborate on the issues you have with UAPP 3.6.5?

This may have something to do with the amount of tasks I was asking of the unit at the time - downloading Tidal offline tracks, accessing UAPP whilst trying to play a previous loaded track through the app from the SD card causing the Explorer to hang and become non-responsive.
Granted, this may or may not be a bug, but losing Wi-Fi connection as previously described is odd and has never been experienced since day one.

My tidal playlist consisting of 850+ tracks has finally surrendered to be downloaded in its entirety enabling for further testing and more importantly listening now.

Sep 21, 2017 at 6:56 AM Post #2,379 of 2,481

I cannot reproduce it here. Please let me know if you can.

Sep 24, 2017 at 10:56 AM Post #2,381 of 2,481
Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, but this thread is a handful to browse through... I just received my Explorer, and am trying to figure out my first ever Android device. Tidal says there is an update available, but Google Play says "You don't have any devices" when I try to install it. The remedy, as far as I can tell, is to go into Settings/Accounts to add my Google account. But when I click the + nothing happens. Any pointers?

I'm also noticing mechanical clicking noises from the device itself when not in use. Is that something to be expected?

(I should say that I'm cautiously very happy with it though :) )

Thanks!

Sep 24, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #2,382 of 2,481
Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, but this thread is a handful to browse through... I just received my Explorer, and am trying to figure out my first ever Android device. Tidal says there is an update available, but Google Play says "You don't have any devices" when I try to install it. The remedy, as far as I can tell, is to go into Settings/Accounts to add my Google account. But when I click the + nothing happens. Any pointers?

I'm also noticing mechanical clicking noises from the device itself when not in use. Is that something to be expected?

(I should say that I'm cautiously very happy with it though :) )

Thanks!

Ola, as the Explorer does not have access to the Google Play store, you will need to "side load", aka update yourself, any new app updates. Luckily, we have a nice page setup on our website with all of the files you will need :)

https://echoboxaudio.com/pages/downloads

On that link, you will find the .APK update files for USB Audio Player Pro and TIDAL, as well as an official software update for the Explorer.

In order to install the .APK files, simply download them to your computer, connect your Explorer to your computer, "drag and drop" the files to the "downloads" folder of the Explorer, then locate them on the Explorer itself and click to open & install. If you have any questions, contact us at support@eboxaudio.com

For the software update file, there is a complete set of instructions listed on the site.

This software update should help take care of a good amount of your "click" noises, however there will still be a "click" when you change tracks. This is caused by a physical relay switch within the Explorer communicating between the DAC and AMP chipsets, and is perfectly normal :)

Sep 26, 2017 at 7:48 AM Post #2,383 of 2,481
In order to install the .APK files, simply download them to your computer, connect your Explorer to your computer, "drag and drop" the files to the "downloads" folder of the Explorer, then locate them on the Explorer itself and click to open & install. If you have any questions, contact us at support@eboxaudio.com

Is this supposed to work on a Mac? The Explorer isn't showing up as a drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back