The Official Cigar Thread
Nov 9, 2010 at 9:51 AM Post #1,246 of 1,369
Hey guys, what's going on in this thread??

No new pick ups of late but still smoking. Had a Padron 45th maduro yesterday to celebrate a one year anniversary with my girlfriend. Was a great cigar. Looking to get a box of the 46th around Christmas. We can get $100 off if we spend a certain amount at this shop.

Still in love with the Tatuaje J21 Reserva. Great smoke.

Nov 18, 2010 at 7:58 PM Post #1,247 of 1,369
My dad's birthday is coming up so I thought I would do something nice. I know he likes Padron 1964 Anniversario cigars.
What size should I get? Or does it matter? Also where should I get them as far as online dealers go?
I want to get him a set of 5 I think since I am a kid and don't have $200+ for a box. 

Nov 19, 2010 at 11:06 AM Post #1,248 of 1,369

Quote:
My dad's birthday is coming up so I thought I would do something nice. I know he likes Padron 1964 Anniversario cigars.
What size should I get? Or does it matter? Also where should I get them as far as online dealers go?
I want to get him a set of 5 I think since I am a kid and don't have $200+ for a box. 

You should get him the size he smokes.  Size matters.  Or find a sampler that covers several sizes.  

Nov 19, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #1,249 of 1,369

Quote:
Quote:

You should get him the size he smokes.  Size matters.  Or find a sampler that covers several sizes.  

I've seen him with all size. Torpedo, diplomatico, and the smaller ones. I guess a sampler will suffice. 

Nov 19, 2010 at 8:02 PM Post #1,250 of 1,369
To anyone who has smoked any of the following CC's recently, ie from a 2009 or 2010 box.

Bolivar Royal Coronas
Partagas Serie D No. 4
H. Upmann MAGNUM 46
Juan Lopez Seleccion No. 1
San Cristobal de la Habana Oficios
Ramon Allones Specially Selected
Vegas Robaina Famosos

Could you let me know if it was a good cigar? CC's seem to vary a lot by year, so I'm wondering which CC's have been stand outs recently in robusto or corona gorda vitolas. I know all the cigars I've listed have been great at one point in time, but apparently recently some are better than others. Sorry if this is a stupid thing to ask :) I'm just set on buying my first ever box of CC's. I've narrowed down to this list by judging cost, strength/body and vitola.  (having about $160-180 for a box, these range from med to full and are all robusto or corona gorda).

Cheers

Nov 20, 2010 at 12:22 PM Post #1,251 of 1,369
TRANCE, I have smoked the BRC and the PSD4 recently and both cigars were excellent. Well behaved with lots of smooth flavor.

Nov 21, 2010 at 1:29 PM Post #1,252 of 1,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkninja67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hey guys, what's going on in this thread??

No new pick ups of late but still smoking. Had a Padron 45th maduro yesterday to celebrate a one year anniversary with my girlfriend. Was a great cigar. Looking to get a box of the 46th around Christmas. We can get $100 off if we spend a certain amount at this shop.

Still in love with the Tatuaje J21 Reserva. Great smoke.

I certainly have had a lot of pickups as of late. For starters, I got to help pick out a sweet new lighter and case for my wife. We looked at a lot different lighters from S.T. Dupont to Xikar and more. She ended up finding a Bugatti '1' gunmetal lighter she fell in love with. We got the matching terracotta sheathe along with a 3 vitola Ashton chocolate lizard case which was pretty cool. After that I found another lotus lighter that I had to add to the collection. I think it's my new favorite (model 12). Then onto the cigars we went. This is where I think I really hit the jackpot darkninja67.

I found three new smokes that were awesome. Well Actually four, but three I found in one trip. Completely new to me (didn't even know it existed) is the Fuente Añejo. Wow, this thing is a gold mine! Possibly the best cigar I've ever smoked! Apparently only release during Christmas and fathers day, runs are extremely limited. It has the same filler of the Opus X (haven't tried yet), but a different wrapper. As the story goes, in '98 Hurricane George wiped a lot of land from Fuente and 2 years later there was a shortage of Opus X wrapper tobacco. The Opus line was halted and a new cigar was born using the same filler, but a 5 year aged Connecticut maduro wrapper instead. Wow...that's all I can say! Spicy, smooth and just a hint of sweetness. I have yet to try the Liga Privada No.9, but when I get my paws on it, we shall see if it's on par with this. Anyways that was the highlight of my adventure. On top of that, the shape of the vitola was totally unique. It wasn't box pressed, it was a round-to-square brick press. The head and first 2 inches were like a Belicoso, then it transformed into a square ended brick press. Extremely unique. They of course had other sizes but I had to have that one.

Digressing into other cigars, I tried 2 new Connecticut Shade smokes. First, the Oliva Connecticut Reserve. There was an interesting story behind me me getting to smoke this cigar. For awhile I've had the Cigar.com Best of Connecticut 2009 Sampler on my wish list which included this Oliva blend. On happenstance, I asked my wife if she wanted to take some time off school work and visit the cigar shop. Well, loe and behold a Rep from the Oliva brand was there sampling two different blends and talking about the brand. Well this certainly was a treat and I finally was able to sample this cigar. This cigar is now my favorite Connecticut I've smoked to date (if you dig them). Like a great chardonnay, very strong notes of creamy butter and nut. As smooth as a Montecristo White, but way more flavorful. Priced quite reasonably, it still is much higher than my go to (5 Vegas gold) Connecticut, but a gem nonetheless.

Second was the HC (new Xikar line) Connecticut line. They offer both a habano and conn. wrapper. I opted for the latter as a comparison and I have heard great things about this cigar venture by Xikar. The smoke was excellent. Even burn all the way though. Did not have quite the punch as the Oliva at all, but flavors were well melded and quite mild.

Now onto the last smoke. The Hammer and Sickle. To tell you the truth, I had don't even remember which one I had nor the intricacies of how it hit my pallet. Part of this was due to the Añejo I was still tickled about, but I will definitely return. Has anyone else heard/smoked any of there offerings? They come in a very unusual crystal or glass cigar box, and I will be back to try another.

Well that's my latest contribution. I'm playing catchup for lost time on here - hehe

Nov 21, 2010 at 6:52 PM Post #1,253 of 1,369
@Lucias_D, congrats on the Añejo, it does sound like the Opus X if it is spicy. A tremendous smoke!  I'll have to look for the Añejo. It's getting rainy here (Seattle) so I haven't smoked in a while, but I REALLY need to.  Cheers, my BOTL!

Nov 23, 2010 at 11:46 AM Post #1,255 of 1,369
Hey all,
  As you may have noticed, I haven't been on lately.  Unfortunately I haven't had much happen recently on the cigar front.  A few Illusione 88's, 888's, Nestor Miranda Special Selection and PAM 64's, but not too much new to me.  I'm hoping with this temporary holiday job I'll have some cash for a purchase I've been planning for a while.  Punch Punch will hopefully be in the future.

Cheers,
Zach.

Dec 1, 2010 at 6:23 AM Post #1,257 of 1,369
Lucias_D, that Anejo is called the 77 or Shark. Anejos are named after their ring gauge (e.g. 46, 48, 50) but the Shark is special. I have some laying around in my boxes. The maduro wrapper is truly awesome.

You guys looking for FFOX and Anejo should keep an eye out at www.emersonscigars.com  They are priced fair and usually have stock of something. Reputable as I have ordered from them before.

Nothing for me of late, only some Padron #35 natties. Will probably smoke something good today to celebrate me obtaining a new notebook computer.

Dec 19, 2010 at 4:09 AM Post #1,259 of 1,369
I cannot wait for the family cruise. We set sail on the 29th and will be hitting the Mexican Riviera again.

Time to have a few Cubans. I know there are lots of fakes, so you have to hit the shops with fairly good pricetags. The cheap ones are almost always counterfeit.

I'll probably go directly for the Montecristo No. 2s. They're a longtime favorite and I look forward to lighting up on deck. In international and Mexican waters only, of course. :D

Dec 19, 2010 at 4:35 AM Post #1,260 of 1,369
Ok...officially jealous! Have fun! 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back