The Official Cigar Thread
Sep 26, 2010 at 7:58 AM Post #1,231 of 1,369
I used to have several Colibri lighters and they all crapped out on me. I use Lotus exclusively now. Was not impressed with a Xikar my girlfriend got either.

Oct 1, 2010 at 9:59 AM Post #1,232 of 1,369
I've used my uncle's Colibri with a built in cutter (a mark of extreme quality, I'm sure
rolleyes.gif
) and the lighter itself was okay, but from my talks with other smokers, their lighters have been hit or miss for the last few years, especially since they went under and were bought by another company who makes a bunch of other mass produced crap.

I have a single flame butane torch, I think its made by a company called "castle," but I don't have it with me.  It was only fourteen bucks rather than the relatively high prices I've seen Colibri's going for.

Then again, I usually go back to the old standard:

In other news, I joined CRA about two weeks ago and got my cigar sampler.  There was one by Torano and one by Cusano, supposedly made specifically for distribution to new members.  I don't know about that, but the Torano reminded me of an Exodus.  Very good cigars for samplers.  Also smoked an Ashton VSG and a couple of Oliva V's in different sizes.  Looks like I'm back with a vengeance. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers,
Zach

Oct 2, 2010 at 3:09 AM Post #1,233 of 1,369
the Colibri is my only ligher so i have nothing to compare.  i was only thinking the more flame the better?  what really makes a good ligher?  to me, lighter actually is easier to use, specially handy when i'm  outdoors.  

Oct 6, 2010 at 10:50 AM Post #1,234 of 1,369
More flame is not necessarily better.  For lighting a really good cigar, the best thing is to have heat distributed evenly across the foot so it all lights pretty much at the same time.  In that case, it is good to have more than one flame coming out of the lighter, but with any butane torch, holding the flame off of the tobacco so just the heat hits it is preferred, as direct contact with the high heat of the torch can lead to off flavors.  That is why I prefer matches, the soft flame is much cooler if it touches the tip.  But as you say, they aren't practical in windy outdoor situations.  Any decent quality torch will do (and colibri is definitely a decent torch, I just think they cost a little much for what you get), as long as you don't scorch individual sections of the foot when lighting.

Cheers,
Zach

Oct 9, 2010 at 8:44 AM Post #1,235 of 1,369
Hey guys, I posted in this thread a while back when I had my first cigars, unfortunately it didn't go too well as I got in over my head and went and bought full bodied smokes like padron and oliva maduros. Too be honest both tasted and smelled like cow dung to me! I was put of of cigars for quite a while, lol.

Anyway a few months later I thought I might as well give cigars a second chance and start over doing it right this time, so first I tried a straight mild cigar, the Macanudo Gold, I thought it was ok, but would have liked more flavour, so next I tried some mild-medium sticks like romeo y julieta reservas and gurka grand reserves, I liked these quite a bit, I was now well on my way to becoming a cigar head :p
Recently I've tried some straight medium bodied smokes like Don pepin Blue labels and Ashton double magnums, I have enjoyed these more than the lighter bodied sticks I've had, so now I'm looking forward to trying some medium-full body smokes
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll probably go for some Oliva, La aroma de cuba or DPG JJ's.

Oct 10, 2010 at 6:19 AM Post #1,236 of 1,369
I had an el rico - rico club maduro last night, an enjoyable smoke.

I found my blue rhino 3 blade torch. For a reasonably inexpensive lighter, I like it a lot.

Oct 12, 2010 at 3:55 AM Post #1,237 of 1,369
Just found this thread and thought I'd chime in. I started my cigar journey about a year ago, but have loved every smoke of it (well, okay, a few were horrible).

Quote:
R04R said:

Do I need propylene glycol for my humidor?

I can just use distilled water, right?  (Though obviously a 50/50 PG/Distilled Water solution would be best)

Danke

Quote:
grawk said:

heartfelt industries 65% humidity regulating beads are better by far.  You definitely don't want to use straight distilled water, you'll end up with WAY too much humidity.

Quote:
Zarathustra19 said:

Ditto.  As far as I've heard, straight distilled water has a relative humidity of about 80 to 85%, which is way too high.

Cheers,
Zach

Quote:
darkninja67 said:

A PG/distilled water mix would be best for those floral foam elements, while Heartfelt beads just need distilled water IME.

What are you guys smoking this weekend? I may burn a CAO America (left my 2005 Libertys at home) or a Padron 44th natural.

Happy 4th to all and be safe

I've found most of theses statements true from my experience. For the longest time I had the WORST luck with mold from my humidifier.
· Depending on your location, straight distilled water may work, it did work for me with relatively good RH#'s 68-73 (Charlotte, NC). The problem with that however was the aforementioned mold after a few months...
· The Propylene Glycol solution works well for this. Keeps the RH a little more static and helps prevent the growth of that nasty stuff. However, in my case (floral humidifier that came with my humidor) the PG solution STILL didn't solve my mold problem, and this was with a new unit!
· The Heartfelt beads are the best thing since sliced bread IMO. They don't just increase RH when needed, they regulate it by being able to reduce it! After stabilization, I have a RH shift of 64-66 for 65% beads! Not only that but no mold in sight. They completely solved my problems. Another positive aspect of these beads is that they are relatively cheap. If you have a large humidor you can spread them out. Plus, you don't have to buy PG solution, just distilled water.
In my case, I gutted my floral unit and replaced the innards with the beads. I can't express how wonderful these have been.

Quote:
the Colibri is my only ligher so i have nothing to compare.  i was only thinking the more flame the better?  what really makes a good ligher?  to me, lighter actually is easier to use, specially handy when i'm  outdoors.  

I personally have never owned a colibri lighter but I have heard mixed reviews (.02). To me, a litghter is a lighter. There are asthetic differences of appeal, but for me function trumps finish. I've owned a few lighters and some of the best performers I have are <$30. I don't know how often you smoke but the more you do, the less forgiving you become on a lighter working the first time you press it. Also, I can only echo what Zarathustra19 said. More flame is not always better. Find something that's reasonibly comfortable and lights every time. From what I've used, I've had quite good luck with xikar lighters in general, as well as Vertigo lighters by Lotus. Good quality butane is a must though. Crappy butane can make a $100 still perform like crap. Any decent shop should carry the brands your looking for.

Oct 13, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #1,238 of 1,369
Welcome to the thread Lucias_D.  Always good to have another cigar smoker join up.  I think the thread usually wanes as winter approaches, but I hope we all have some chance to smoke a good one in celebration of whatever holidays we subscribe to.

As for me, my brother revealed that he'd bought two PAM 64 Principes a few months ago for his buddy's birthday.  They were a little dried out, which in itself was a travesty, but I did my best to rehydrate them and they got back to a decent level of flavor.  Here's hoping for some good smokes for all of you in the next few months.

Cheers,
Zach

Oct 18, 2010 at 1:53 AM Post #1,239 of 1,369

Quote:
Welcome to the thread Lucias_D.  Always good to have another cigar smoker join up.  I think the thread usually wanes as winter approaches, but I hope we all have some chance to smoke a good one in celebration of whatever holidays we subscribe to...

Yeah, winter will do that. I grew up in MN so I know cold. I'm living in Sacramento now, so during winter it's a bit chilly but no need to throw in the towel! In fact I just stocked the humidor to an all-time high. Ordered some much awaited smokes as well as a bunch I've never tried. I purchased some Man O' War Ruination belicosos, Graycliff samplers and a bunch of others. Also, my much awaited 5 Vegas shipment came though with my box of 'AAA's and Gold Maduros
tongue.gif

Oct 23, 2010 at 4:09 AM Post #1,240 of 1,369
hey guys, the colibri lighter, i thought i need to start somewhere so i picked up the one i like most. that one look very nice to me.  plus i was in a package with a cutter and a large(larger) case.  all for a hundred dollars. i'll check out lotus later for the next "upgrade". 

anyone had cohiba siglo i?  i had one and it's pretty smooth.  a little bit too sweet though but i really enjoyed it. 

Oct 23, 2010 at 6:00 PM Post #1,241 of 1,369
No, I have not smoked a Cohiba Siglo I. In fact I've probably smoked <5 Cohibas in my life. What part was sweet about the cigar (the flavor or was the wrapper sweetened)?
Congrats on your purchase
smily_headphones1.gif
What kind of cutter was included with the lighter?

Oct 24, 2010 at 8:53 AM Post #1,242 of 1,369
hey guys, I was wondering if anyone could point me towards some cheap Cuban cigar online retailer? Its just that I have heard that CC's can be had for cheaper than NC's, however all the etailers I have looked at seem to sell pretty pricey CC's from what I have seen. I use cigarplace for all my NC purchases and love these guys, definitely the cheapest NC etailer I have come across
smily_headphones1.gif

cheers

on the smoking front, smoked a La aroma de cuba edicion especial and an oliva V, both were awesome.

Oct 25, 2010 at 11:43 AM Post #1,243 of 1,369
I think it's all relative.  You can find cubans for $38 a box delivered, and you can find cubans for $500 a box delivered.  Cuba produces a huge variety of cigars, just like the other cigar producing nations.  As to finding sites selling them, this really isn't the place to ask that.

Oct 25, 2010 at 10:35 PM Post #1,244 of 1,369

Quote:
I think it's all relative.  You can find cubans for $38 a box delivered, and you can find cubans for $500 a box delivered.  Cuba produces a huge variety of cigars, just like the other cigar producing nations.  As to finding sites selling them, this really isn't the place to ask that.

I see what you mean grawk, there is indeed a large range of cigars and with it prices. I am not from the states, does that make it alright for me to be recommended some CC etailers? haha, I am from Australia for the record. I just wanted to know which etailers are trustworthy and reliable (or which have the best prices) etc... maybe if someone cared to PM me if it is alright that way.
Cheers

Nov 6, 2010 at 11:52 AM Post #1,245 of 1,369
i meant the flavor.  kind of sweet but not as sweet as dannemann's moods.  that one almost feel like vanilla.  as cutter, just a very simple cutter. 

Quote:
No, I have not smoked a Cohiba Siglo I. In fact I've probably smoked <5 Cohibas in my life. What part was sweet about the cigar (the flavor or was the wrapper sweetened)?
Congrats on your purchase
smily_headphones1.gif
What kind of cutter was included with the lighter?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back