The O2 of Tube Amps ?
Mar 21, 2013 at 2:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Lohb

Headphoneus Supremus
Is there any pre-built tube amp that is sub-$200 that punches way beyond its price like the O2 amp ?

Mar 21, 2013 at 4:33 AM Post #2 of 19
That sounds like the Bottlehead Crack - except it's $279. Still - it's popular around here. I've never heard it.

Mar 21, 2013 at 6:51 AM Post #3 of 19
Mar 21, 2013 at 8:32 AM Post #4 of 19
All nice........., yes I saw the Crackhead amp but I think you need to build it ?

Mar 22, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:
The O2 is an antithesis of a tube amp. . . 

The post was about entry level tube amps that perform way above their price, not about finding a tube amp that sounds like an O2.

Mar 22, 2013 at 5:31 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:
Will they do well with high end cans? How do they compare to the more expensive amps like decware csp2+?

I Owned a "Project Sunrise" (first version), it drived my 600 Ohms AKG K340 beautifully : extension, dynamics and great bass with a 6n23p, the amp is able to work with practically all 6V or 12V tubes.
Sound was better than my Audio-Gd C2 but i never tried a decware csp2+, i was more interested in transistor or SS amps.

Mar 22, 2013 at 6:43 AM Post #12 of 19
Would the Crack be a good match for Ortho/planar magnetic earphones .........modded Fostex/ Hifiman's ?

Mar 22, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

I Owned a "Project Sunrise" (first version), it drived my 600 Ohms AKG K340 beautifully : extension, dynamics and great bass with a 6n23p, the amp is able to work with practically all 6V or 12V tubes.
Sound was better than my Audio-Gd C2 but i never tried a decware csp2+, i was more interested in transistor or SS amps.

i see, thanks. why will you be more interested in transistor or SS amps? 

Mar 22, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:
The O2 is an antithesis of a tube amp. . . 

Quote:
The post was about entry level tube amps that perform way above their price, not about finding a tube amp that sounds like an O2.

It's a valid point.  Good tube amps are about music.  The O2 was about measurements.  You'd have to say the Starving Student was most like a CMoy for tubes, but I don't think it's useful to suggest that the O2 performs way above its price.

Quote:
Would the Crack be a good match for Ortho/planar magnetic earphones .........modded Fostex/ Hifiman's ?

Nope.  Most ortho's, especially modded ones, need lots of current and are generally on the low-impedance range of most headphones.  The Crack is suitable for just the opposite.  It's an OTL amp and will be limited in current capability.  Plus, without output transformers, large coupling caps are needed on the output to prevent severe bass loss with low impedance phones.  This is because the output caps form an RC circuit with the resistance of connected headphones.  The resulting RC circuit will filter out bass frequencies unless the caps are very large (high uf's) or the headphones are high in impedance.

Mar 24, 2013 at 8:05 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

i see, thanks. why will you be more interested in transistor or SS amps? 

I'm more interested in SS or transistor amps because i don't need any "added coloration" on my rig because the sound of my DAC is already coloured with an slight emphasis on bass and no harshness at all i noticed it perform better with neutral amps (and in sub 400$ generally transistor and SS amps are more neutral than tubes amps).

(sorry for my english it's not my native language)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back