The "notorious" Sennheiser HD280 Pro...Review
Oct 15, 2013 at 4:45 AM Post #31 of 67
Sorry to bump an old thread. I own and used two pairs of HD-280 Pro. First pair was used from 2003 - 2009, until the headband broke due to fatigue and stress. I used them for DJing on a 4-5 times a week basis. Second pair was purchased in 2010 because I really loved this particular model. I used it for another three years until I bought a new set of headphones which is the V-Moda M100. Although my second pair of HD280 Pro is still in great condition, I just felt that I wanted something else other than Sennheiser. I've also owned two other pairs of Senns. One in 1998 -2001 (forgot the model already, and an e2200 (evolution) that I used from 2001 - 2003. The e2200 is still intact (replaced the earpads and cables already) and I still use it at home for quick listening previews.

Nov 10, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #32 of 67
....Going to resurrect this thread lol... But I just bought the HD 280's...and right off the back...they are bass MONSTERS... Idk what everyone is thinking calling these things "neutral"...I have the ATH ws77 bass headphones and the HD 280 BLOW them out of the water in terms of raw bass( This is without even burning them in)....hell I also have the Sennheiser hd 439's and again the 280's bass destroys them... My Shures srh 440's with the tape bass mod also dont stand a chance against my 280's. Im flabbergasted how people call these bass shy....What?...I mean they rumble my head....make my teeth clench... I literally have to turn the bass DOWN to keep my vision from going blurry. 

Nov 28, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #34 of 67
Even though I am new here and to headfiness in general:
We use these headphones a lot, but I always considered these to be monitor headphones, not anything else.
I actually thought they were designed as isolating monitor headphones. For use with audio exterior capture, studio monitoring, DJ work, video audio work.

I get a bit confused when they are compared to other systems for a completely different scenario.
For example, I use Genelec, Event, KRK and a full range single driver for studio work, but I would not use them by choice in a home environment.

Don't know, maybe I got the wrong end of the stick?

Neutral? Definitely not.
32 db Isolation with easy replaceable parts? Yes.
For what I thought was their intended purpose? Brilliant.

Lovingly resurrecting, one thread at time

:)

Tog.

Nov 28, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #35 of 67
  ....Going to resurrect this thread lol... But I just bought the HD 280's...and right off the back...they are bass MONSTERS... Idk what everyone is thinking calling these things "neutral"...I have the ATH ws77 bass headphones and the HD 280 BLOW them out of the water in terms of raw bass( This is without even burning them in)....hell I also have the Sennheiser hd 439's and again the 280's bass destroys them... My Shures srh 440's with the tape bass mod also dont stand a chance against my 280's. Im flabbergasted how people call these bass shy....What?...I mean they rumble my head....make my teeth clench... I literally have to turn the bass DOWN to keep my vision from going blurry. 

Yes these are great for bass while not overwhelming the treble. When playing SKYRIM on the pc and the intro logo starts up with BOOM! BOOM-BOOM-BOOM! I can really feel it and without any distortion.

Even though I am new here and to headfiness in general:
We use these headphones a lot, but I always considered these to be monitor headphones, not anything else.
I actually thought they were designed as isolating monitor headphones. For use with audio exterior capture, studio monitoring, DJ work, video audio work.

I get a bit confused when they are compared to other systems for a completely different scenario.
For example, I use Genelec, Event, KRK and a full range single driver for studio work, but I would not use them by choice in a home environment.

Don't know, maybe I got the wrong end of the stick?

Neutral? Definitely not.
32 db Isolation with easy replaceable parts? Yes.
For what I thought was their intended purpose? Brilliant.

Lovingly resurrecting, one thread at time

smily_headphones1.gif

Tog.

The isolation from outside noise is the main reason I first picked them up. When I heard how balanced and clean they sounded I was extra happy. I use them for everything from movies to gaming and music without any disappointment. The other thing I love about them is they don't have that veiled Sennheiser signature. Audio is very clear and enough in my face that I don't have to force myself to listen to the details.

Jan 14, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #39 of 67
So, you tested Metallica for master of Puppets, I see. I recently bought cheaper Sony xb600s, and let me tell you, the entire album sounded terrible. I was kind of disgusted with the sound. how did the album really sound with the Sennheisers? I'd like to know the verdict, because I would be listening to quite a bit of Metallica and the like. 

Feb 1, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #41 of 67
I've owned 3 pairs of these. They break exactly 4 years after purchase  with daily studio use. But in terms of Sound vs Comfort vs Price, I think they are tough to beat. I personally like the sound although it is not perhaps 'inspiring' but there is not much to dislike in my view. I'm about to buy pair number 4 - so they must be doing something right. They are my work-horses, they can be treated quite roughly, they travel well, and produce decent enough mixes in my experience. They just never let me down on recording, mixing or listening.

Long live the HD280s!

Apr 6, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #43 of 67
For some reason the 280 gave me headaches after about 45min every time, I can listen to more flat HP such Sony V6 and others for hours w/o issues. 

Apr 11, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #44 of 67
The reason some 'philes' don't like them is that they are now 'bored' of them. They have upgraditis, and constantly need something new and sparkly to satisfy their need, and will continually justify their cash outlays by finding like minded cliques and poo poo-ing on what is perfectly good hardware. The HD280 pros are a steal at this price. I don't find them bass heavy at all, I think some people get SO obssessed with flatness that they forget what bass is supposed to sound like. In fact, sometimes after listening to my home theater and going back to these, they sound a little light, but after a while I adjust. What I love about these is AM radio sounds like AM. FM sounds like FM. You get to listen to the source instead of the headphones themselves, and they can handle 100db+ cleanly. When I turn up the bass knob on my receiver they don't distort, they just start vibrating on the sides of my head. They are also built like tanks, clamp like a vice, and have that fat coiled cable. Worth every penny.

Apr 11, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #45 of 67
I think for the price the 280s do their job and for studio usage they'd be great. I found the isolation to be fantastic. They are not too bad, but for the prices here in Australia you can do better for the price for home listening.

Quote:
  So, you tested Metallica for master of Puppets, I see. I recently bought cheaper Sony xb600s, and let me tell you, the entire album sounded terrible. I was kind of disgusted with the sound. how did the album really sound with the Sennheisers? I'd like to know the verdict, because I would be listening to quite a bit of Metallica and the like. 

Heavy metal can have some pretty poor recording quality, but there are albums out there that are pretty well made overall. I've heard the XB600 a while back and was very unimpressed by them, Master of Puppets can sound pretty bloody good out of better headphones, but it is not a very high quality recording like say Lateralus or Porcupine Tree's albums - doesn't mean you cannot rock out and enjoy it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back