[The Not So] Upcoming Sennheiser Stat & Amp
Jan 7, 2013 at 10:54 AM Post #121 of 200
Quote:
Thank you Spritzer for clearing that up, I don't think I've heard a great sounding one then. I thought it was just the tubes, Gary.

The tubes are always the same in these amps, at least in terms of type.  The circuit is identical to the final HEV90 version on the amp side but you have the benefits of not using the cheapest possible parts as Sennheiser did on the HEV90 (single turn carbon pots, basic 600mW resistors and lovely Wima MKS4 coupling caps) and far better layout and PSU.  The only real deviation from this is my take on the HEV90 which uses different dissimilar tubes (which are both triodes) with different feedback setup but the rest is the same. 

It's so Sennheiser that they never mentioned this evolution of the amp anywhere.  Not subtle changes too as the first two versions are very poor with limited power and high distortion. 

Jan 7, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #122 of 200
Jan 7, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #123 of 200
There will definitely be an amp as well.  I don't see them adopting the Stax standard, and almost nobody has a HEV70/90.  It'll be nice if they sell the headphones separate from the amp, but I kinda doubt it at launch.

Jan 9, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #124 of 200
Oh well, it was an awesome pipedream. Maybe with all the people asking about it Sennheiser will consider producing a stat statement product in the coming years.

Jan 9, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #125 of 200
Jan 9, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #126 of 200
Wow, Orpheus has finally hit engadget.

If there's one thing I learned from this thread it is: screw it, save up for an HE90.

Jan 9, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #127 of 200
no!  figure out how to borrow it for 2 weeks, just to learn how misguided a purchase would be :wink: 

Quote:
Wow, Orpheus has finally hit engadget.

If there's one thing I learned from this thread it is: screw it, save up for an HE90.

Jan 9, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #128 of 200
What do you think it is when people say the HE90 still sounds better than the 009's or 007's? I know I would be embarassed by the gaudy looking amp if I owned this system. I really was hoping there would be a new stat from Sennheiser like everyone else but am glad I have a 009 coming to me in the mail.

Jan 9, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #129 of 200
Quote:
no!  figure out how to borrow it for 2 weeks, just to learn how misguided a purchase would be :wink: 

I don't know. From the 20 minutes I've spent with it thanks to n3rdling I've started to rationalize the purchase. I'm happy with the 009, but there are a couple of tricks that only the HE90 (or maybe a modified Jade clone of the HE90) can pull off.

Jan 9, 2013 at 11:33 PM Post #130 of 200
I have heard nr3dlings Orpheus as well as his Stax Omega.
I was extremely impressed with the original Omega.
I liked the Orpheus, but the 009 sounded better to me at the LA meet.
Also, the 009 is a marvel of craftmanship, while the HE90 is not.

Jan 10, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #132 of 200
Quote:
Yeah, the HE90 build quality is atrocious.  The machining of the cups is hit or miss, ditto on the finishing.  Spare parts don't fit and/or were made incorrectly and the list goes on and on. 

The worst thing about the HE90 is the pleather earpads.  Those will start to flake after a year of gentle use.  Still I love my HE90.  :)

Jan 10, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #133 of 200
The HE90's are a thing of beauty but the build quality is weak for sure. I had screws come loose and one of the cups nearly came off just after I purchased one from the newest batch. Now I'm noticing some flaking on the headband pad. I hope someone can figure out a way to leather them up someday but that seems to be difficult for some reason. If Sennheiser makes a new stat they'll have to be on par soundwise with the HE90's and they must be built to a higher standard for me to buy in. Gary 

Jan 11, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #134 of 200
[size=medium]I don’t know if it’s relevant or if it was discussed before but it seems that Sennheiser is demoing the Orpheus system at CES. I don’t see any reason they would do that if there’s no plan to produce another batch but that’s just me speculating.[/size]

Jan 11, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #135 of 200
I'd say it's you, and many others speculating. It's just the marketing folks using a brand to their advantage. There are no indications that Sennheiser has any plans to reproduce the Orpheus, and it's not like they have the factory sitting idle, nor any solid indication that another stat is any closer to production than any other phone they have in R&D.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back