[The Not So] Upcoming Sennheiser Stat & Amp
May 22, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #181 of 200
May 23, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #183 of 200
Why would they want to go Hybrid ?
in IEMs Hybrid helps because both the technologies ( dynamic and BA ) have their advantages, so going hybrid helps.

But in this case i dont think dynamic (or planer) have anything over Electrostatic. so why hybrid ?

May 23, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #184 of 200
Why would they want to go Hybrid ?
in IEMs Hybrid helps because both the technologies ( dynamic and BA ) have their advantages, so going hybrid helps.

But in this case i dont think dynamic (or planer) have anything over Electrostatic. so why hybrid ?

I'd like to see a nice full size hybrid, just imagine the mid and treble quality of electrostatic cans combined with the low end "oomph" and punch of an electrodynamic transducer !

May 23, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #185 of 200
Quote:
I'd like to see a nice full size hybrid, just imagine the mid and treble quality of electrostatic cans combined with the low end "oomph" and punch of an electrodynamic transducer !

If the AKG K340 is anything to go by, you will get the exact opposite: muddy, subdued bass, confused mids and jagged, receding treble. Of course this is 70s engineering we're talking about here so there were issues with the crossover, resonances, poorly thought out stat elements. It was enough to discourage both AKG and the headphone world at large to stay away from the idea from then on.

May 24, 2013 at 6:33 AM Post #187 of 200
Quote:

while the "oomph"  is great to have , but the decreased resolution in bass hurts.

we are talking orpheus level stuff here.

May 24, 2013 at 10:12 AM Post #188 of 200
Quote:
I enjoyed my K340 at the time I owned it.  It had the blackest background of any headphone I had owned at the time.  The hybrid approach is commonplace in speaker and IEM design so why not revisit the concept for a full size headphone?  

Oh I also have a soft spot for AKG's Frankenstein monster, having owned two of them. Still have one on hand but it's still tough not to notice its weaknesses when giving it a listen.

The hybrid approach in speakers is trivial, as most speakers use multiple transducers anyway. Plus you get some room for the driver outputs to integrate before they reach the listener. IEMs go the complete opposite route and depend on a minimum distance, some fraction of the ear canal. There again integration is possible with proper crossovers and proper output routes.

Full-size headphones have their own set of unique challenges as you're dealing with greater coupling volume than with IEMs, larger resonant structures and the difficulty of positioning the drivers themselves so they don't interfere. While there are a few multi-driver headsets on the gaming market right now which claim "surround sound", they usually sound a mess and are wholly unfit for a neutral stereo presentation. Major headphone companies also experimented with multi-driver headphones in the past and have moved on since.

It's much easier to wrangle good performance out of a single driver when dealing with headphones. Especially with stats and planars, because of the wide bandwidth and less frequency dependent distortion.

May 24, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #190 of 200
while the "oomph"  is great to have , but the decreased resolution in bass hurts.

we are talking orpheus level stuff here.

I'm not sure what you mean there.

Oomph wasn't probably the best word, "impact" would be better.

I'm not really talking about the amount of bass, but rather the intrinsic differences between these two technologies. There's just something lacking for me with stats, and I wonder if a two driver design could bring the best of both worlds out...

May 24, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #191 of 200
Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean there.

Oomph wasn't probably the best word, "impact" would be better.

I'm not really talking about the amount of bass, but rather the intrinsic differences between these two technologies. There's just something lacking for me with stats, and I wonder if a two driver design could bring the best of both worlds out...

i replied to your "oomph" statement.

Sure the bas of dymanics such as D7000 hit hard, but it with electronic music, i find the need to switch to stat, specially for their excillent bass resolution.
Moreover you cant say much about limitations of a tech, unless you try what the best has to offer. my Sr007 Mk1 is on its way and my KGSSHV build is about to start. ill talk when i hear the combo.

Sep 19, 2014 at 3:34 AM Post #193 of 200
So....is the dream dead?
The rumors of a new Senn electrostatic were bunk?

We'll see in May, for Sennheiser's 70th birthday...

Sep 19, 2014 at 8:10 AM Post #194 of 200
We'll see in May, for Sennheiser's 70th birthday...

Humm, I actually would give some thought to that one! Stax released the SR009 for their 40th anniversary (or was it 50 already) of first estat phone release. 

Not saying one is imitating the other, but have to admit this rounded anniversary numbers are a typical occasion to make a splash for exclusive products...

Arnaud

Users who are viewing this thread

Back