The Nordic Prog Rock Appreciation Thread
Feb 26, 2010 at 2:08 PM Post #76 of 194
I am not a member of Prog Archives, but combine it with Spotify and what a resource. I have been listening to Efterklangs new album 'Magic Chairs'. It got a poor review in one of the main papers here, but I like it a lot. They are also on tour and coming to Edinburgh, so we have tickets to see my first Scandinavian prog band, yipee!

51ppEaAvJpL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Feb 26, 2010 at 2:13 PM Post #77 of 194
Quote:

Originally Posted by enthewhite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anybody heard of A.C.T. from Sweden? Good pop-symphonic-prog. Listen to Last Epic.

I did thanks and it is too 1980s American pomp rock for me and just not prog enough. Have you listened to Marillion or IQ the UK bands that are of a similar vein?

Feb 26, 2010 at 3:03 PM Post #79 of 194
Sorry enthewhite, but as hard as I have tried I cannot get into that genre of symphonic prog. It is one of those odd things, I should like it but don't.

I am now giving Simon Says a listen and the Tardigrade is superb. Very early Genesis and along the lines of TransAtlantic and The Flower Kings.

Feb 26, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #80 of 194
Quote:

Originally Posted by Prog Rock Man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry enthewhite, but as hard as I have tried I cannot get into that genre of symphonic prog. It is one of those odd things, I should like it but don't.

I am now giving Simon Says a listen and the Tardigrade is superb. Very early Genesis and along the lines of TransAtlantic and The Flower Kings.

You have mentioned many Symphonic Prog albums you enjoy, including this post. I think you meant Neo Prog.
normal_smile .gif

Feb 26, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #81 of 194
You are right, Marillion, IQ etc come under Neo Prog. In that case I can say Neo is my least favourite form of Prog. But Symphonic Prog of Yes, Genesis and ELP is how I first got into Prog.

Until I found Spotify and Prog Archives I thought Prog had died in the 1980s. The reason for this thread is that in Scandinavia in particular, the various forms have prog rock have remained on the go and continued to develop.

I have found few UK bands who still fly the Prog flag. The music press in the late 1970s really hated Prog as punk and new wave became the fashion. That has continued in the mainstream music press to this day.

Feb 26, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #82 of 194
Indeed! I would say that Neo Prog is my least favorite sub genre of Prog by a WIDE margin. I don't think I have ever heard a Neo Prog album that has really hooked me, to be honest.

I'm not aware of this Spotify that you are speaking of, but am very interested.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 26, 2010 at 6:56 PM Post #83 of 194
Spotify is a music streaming service based in Sweden. It is only available in a few countries details here

Spotify – A world of music

Presently listening to Black Bonzo 'Sound of the Apocalypse'. Of your recommendations it is my favourite. I do like Wobbler and Simon Says is very Genesis/Yes, good old symphonic prog.

Feb 26, 2010 at 9:38 PM Post #85 of 194
Quote:

Originally Posted by Prog Rock Man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The reason for this thread is that in Scandinavia in particular, the various forms have prog rock have remained on the go and continued to develop.

I have found few UK bands who still fly the Prog flag. The music press in the late 1970s really hated Prog as punk and new wave became the fashion. That has continued in the mainstream music press to this day.

Italy trumps scandinavia in this regard, I've found. Just the sheer amount that has been made over there is staggering. Naturally most of it is from the seventies, but also a good amount from the last decade.

Feb 27, 2010 at 2:59 PM Post #86 of 194
I knew that Genesis were huge in Italy and that there was a prog scene there. I have had a trawl through Rock Progressivo Italiano on ProgRockarchives. I liked the more jazzy based music such as Premiata Forneria Marconi and Goblin's soundtrack to Dawn of the Dead.

At the moment I am totally distracted by one the best albums I have hear in ages. Slaraffenland are a Danish experimental rock band who have male vocals, jazzy/rock rhythms to accoustic guitar, horns and electronica. It is very joyful and uplifting music. Best of all, they are support to Efterklang when I go to see them in April.

51JQWYnW4KL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Mar 1, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #87 of 194
Mega Space rock from the Oresund Space Collective. Made up by musicians from Denmark, Sweden (so they count here) as well as the US and Austria these guys rock. Heavy blues hard rock guitar, power bass rhythms mix with electronica, organ and jazz drums to make for a fabulous assault of soloing. Highly recommended.

cover_2517162632009.jpg

Mar 8, 2010 at 2:34 PM Post #88 of 194
Power jazz fusion electronic symphonic by duo Xploding Plastix from Norway. If you like Jaga Jazzist try this.....

200px-Amateur_Girlfriends_Cover.JPG

Mar 18, 2010 at 5:55 PM Post #89 of 194
From 1970, the band are called Made in Sweden and the album is Made in England

610IessesYL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Jazzy, funky prog fusion and superb.

Mar 20, 2010 at 12:31 PM Post #90 of 194
From Norway, Circles End. Heavy jazz prog

cover_1456102592006.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back