The Nordic Prog Rock Appreciation Thread
May 4, 2010 at 6:51 AM Post #106 of 194
I'd call Björk avant garde, but then avant garde is by definition progressive, so I think it's OK.

Lots of other magnificent stuff that has been posted here is of the avant garde/eclectica/alternative kind, and in many ways it is far more progressive than the typical 'prog sound', which hasn't changed much for several decades.

May 4, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #107 of 194
Quote:

Originally Posted by limpidglitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd call Björk avant garde, but then avant garde is by definition progressive, so I think it's OK.

Lots of other magnificent stuff that has been posted here is of the avant garde/eclectica/alternative kind, and in many ways it is far more progressive than the typical 'prog sound', which hasn't changed much for several decades.

That is so true, particularly with the likes of The Flower Kings etc. I still like the music, but it is derivative. I am now giving Paatos a first listen and this is superb........

51K4H21TAFL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

May 8, 2010 at 4:26 AM Post #109 of 194
May 8, 2010 at 5:11 AM Post #110 of 194
Staying in Norway with Peccatum. I think that ProgArchives description of their music is superb;

PECCATUM is an avant garde metal band from Norway. It's formed by Ihsahn (EMPEROR), his wife Ihriel (STAR OF ASH) and Lord PZ (SOURCE OF TIDE) in 1998. Their style is generally known as "avant garde metal"; an experimental type of music generated mostly by old black metal musicians. PECCATUM carries a very melancholic tune, a vast emptiness inside the music, with various influences from classical, fusion, black metal, doom metal, and generally soft music (long and depressive piano passages, acoustic guitars, various others). The music itself, coupled with incredible vocals, makes one feel empty inside.

May 15, 2010 at 3:57 AM Post #112 of 194
One of my absolute favourites with nine cracking tracks. Jazz fusion prog instrumental..........

May 15, 2010 at 9:58 AM Post #113 of 194
May 15, 2010 at 8:08 PM Post #114 of 194

Quote:
The Shining are on Spotify where they are described as formed for muscial therapy reasons?! They are also supposed to be from Sweden. Are there two Shinings?

Finland's Kingston Wall are also represented where they are described as hard edged prog. I like the folk, rock style of Finland such as Finntroll and Korpiklaani. I wish Scottish celidh bands were more like them!

Swedens Angalagard are legendary and sadly not on Spotify. Opeth thankfully are. That mix of prog and metal appers to be a mainstay of the scene there. Its almost as if when rock dropped the prog, metal took up the reigns.

YES!

Best band in this thread

May 15, 2010 at 8:11 PM Post #115 of 194
EXCELLENT Thread- - anyone know what happended to PHROCK ?

May 16, 2010 at 6:51 AM Post #116 of 194
There is the one Angalagard album on Spotify, none on Grooveshark and neither sites have PHROCK.

May 28, 2010 at 3:13 PM Post #117 of 194
Favourite Danish band - Efterklang

May 28, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #118 of 194
I'm not sure if you can call Kataya a progressive rock band. At least, something very experimental. I like their only album, Canto Obscura very much. Nice melodies. Check them out at MySpace.

http://www.myspace.com/katayaband

May 29, 2010 at 4:21 AM Post #119 of 194

Quote:
I'm not sure if you can call Kataya a progressive rock band. At least, something very experimental. I like their only album, Canto Obscura very much. Nice melodies. Check them out at MySpace.

http://www.myspace.com/katayaband

They are down as ambient/folk/progressive and sound like an updated Renaissance or The Strawbs from the early English prog/folk or Canterbury Scene as it sometimes gets called. An excellent recommendation.

Jun 1, 2010 at 12:47 PM Post #120 of 194
Iceland's Olafur Arnolds and the high atmospheric piano lead album 'Found Songs'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back