The Nordic Prog Rock Appreciation Thread
Dec 24, 2009 at 12:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 194

Prog Rock Man

Headphoneus Supremus
EDIT - now the Nordic prog thread so as to include Iceland's music scene.

I can only assume that it is because Spotify is Swedish that there is a significant representation of Scandinavian Prog Rock available to listen to.

I am Prog Rock Man, but I have been managing for years with the primarily British 1960s/1970s originated psychedellic/stadium prog of Pink Floyd, Yes, King Crimson etc. I also like heavy metal and later on I got into the metal prog of the likes of Opeth.

Meanwhile, in Scandinavia there has been a thriving scene of fantastic prog of all styles.

I am just going to start this thread with a list of my favourites;

Anekdoten (Sweden). A real mix of all styles, towards the heavier end and a unique sound of their own.

The Flower Kings (Sweden). Anthemic, Yes like prog

Beardfish (Sweden). Eclectic, tunefull sophisticated musicianship

Amorphis (Finland). More of a heavy metal band

Jaga Jazzist (Norway). Jazz fusion prog and fusion with a wide range of styles including drum n' bass.

Trettioariga Kriget (Sweden). Rock prog band who started in the 1970s. I like that they sing in Swedish as well.

Kaipa (Sweden). They share members with the Flower Kings and are towards the Yes/Genesis end of the scene.

Magic Pie (Norway). Anthemic, big sound electronica/orchestral prog

Ritual (Sweden). Folky prog

Fejd (Sweden). Folky, metal prog

Efterklang (Denmark). Percussive, happy, rhythmic, folky but with some electronica.

Slaraffenland (Denmark). Percussive, male choral, folky

Mum (Icelandic). Folky, eclectic

Dec 24, 2009 at 5:49 PM Post #2 of 194
Shining from Norway has been a favorite of mine for a while. I'm not sure how to describe them, really... although I've seen them summed up as a mixture of Ornette Coleman, The Mars Volta, Henry Cow, King Crimson, and Slayer. Solid group either way. Kinda off the wall. Many layers and many different sounds. They also share members with Jaga Jazzist.

I definitely agree with this thread though. The Scandinavian (and European in general) prog scene has been much, much more interesting than anything that I've seen from the States in some time.

Dec 24, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #3 of 194
Kingston Wall.
3 albums absolutely brilliant psychedelic/prog rock
Well, their first, self-titled album is maybe not very "mature" musically, but still very nice, especially the 8 Mushroom-songs.
They only have 3 albums (why commit so many brilliant musicians suicide?
frown.gif
) but they are nothing alike, the first is trippy hard rock, the third is more a concept-album, and I still don't know which album I like the best. (I think the second)
A lot of eastern influences too, used some strange instruments which they just learned to play while recording.
Discovered a lot of new bands on head-fi, but this is my favourite.

Dec 24, 2009 at 7:07 PM Post #4 of 194
Änglagård (Sweden) is my favorite Scandinavian prog band at the moment, even though they barely have anything published.

Dec 24, 2009 at 7:46 PM Post #6 of 194
The Shining are on Spotify where they are described as formed for muscial therapy reasons?! They are also supposed to be from Sweden. Are there two Shinings?

Finland's Kingston Wall are also represented where they are described as hard edged prog. I like the folk, rock style of Finland such as Finntroll and Korpiklaani. I wish Scottish celidh bands were more like them!

Swedens Angalagard are legendary and sadly not on Spotify. Opeth thankfully are. That mix of prog and metal appers to be a mainstay of the scene there. Its almost as if when rock dropped the prog, metal took up the reigns.

Dec 24, 2009 at 8:34 PM Post #8 of 194
Quote:

Originally Posted by asmox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are several bands with the name. The one I'm referring to is here.

Thanks for that asmox. Swedens Shining are very goth, heavy metal and too much for me. However, the album 'Grindstone' is being downloaded.

Dec 26, 2009 at 2:59 PM Post #9 of 194
Quote:

Originally Posted by Le Le /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kingston Wall.
3 albums absolutely brilliant psychedelic/prog rock
Well, their first, self-titled album is maybe not very "mature" musically, but still very nice, especially the 8 Mushroom-songs.
They only have 3 albums (why commit so many brilliant musicians suicide?
frown.gif
) but they are nothing alike, the first is trippy hard rock, the third is more a concept-album, and I still don't know which album I like the best. (I think the second)
A lot of eastern influences too, used some strange instruments which they just learned to play while recording.
Discovered a lot of new bands on head-fi, but this is my favourite.

Kingston Wall I - out and out rock, like Kula Shaker or Reef with the Hendricks cover. .

Kingston Wall II - more prog with eastern influences.

Kingston Wall III- even more prog with further difference sounds and more experimentation, but still using the tight rock band style of playing. Excellent.

Dec 26, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #10 of 194
Quote:

Originally Posted by Prog Rock Man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for that asmox. Swedens Shining are very goth, heavy metal and too much for me. However, the album 'Grindstone' is being downloaded.

The National Bank, listed as an associated act of The Shining, made a stunning first record. They're a supergroup consisting of Qvenlid of The Shining, the Horntvedt brothers of Jaga, Eilertsen of Bigbang, and Thomas Dybdahl doing a lovely work on vocals as ever.
The musical style is very much an amalgamation of the style of the individual bands and their respective members.

Of the Prog Metal genre I have an affection for Audrey Horne.

Dec 26, 2009 at 6:37 PM Post #12 of 194
Quote:

Originally Posted by logwed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Änglagård (Sweden) is my favorite Scandinavian prog band at the moment, even though they barely have anything published.

I have a bit of this group and I like what I've heard.

Thanks for the thread OP.

Dec 27, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #13 of 194
Quote:

Originally Posted by limpidglitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The National Bank.....The musical style is very much an amalgamation of the style of the individual bands and their respective members.

Of the Prog Metal genre I have an affection for Audrey Horne.

Great recommendations limpidglitch, thanks. Prog metal and prog jazz are very well represented by the bands I have heard. Prior to stumbling upon the Scandinavian scene, prog to me was a very English affair and I was not into metal or jazz at all. But now, that has changed significantly.

Shining and the albums 'Grindstone' and 'In the Kingdom of Kitsch You will be a Monster' were both excellent and a really challenging listen. Both are very interesting albums which remind me of the later more frentic industrial sound of King Crimson.

Dec 28, 2009 at 11:36 AM Post #15 of 194
The National Bank are excellent. The nearest equivalent I can think of is the art rock of earlier Roxy Music with Brian Eno. The song structure is more traditional, but with loads of twists and backgound electronica.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back