The non-musical, very neutral studio headphones
Oct 2, 2007 at 7:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

Assorted

Headphoneus Supremus
I've tried many of the $300> league headphones + some nice Audio Technica (W5000 was my next candidate till now) except for the K701, and it seems like every single one had some kind of a signature that's meant to "enhance" the musicality. This especially shows in my AT-EW9.

I'm getting pretty tired of that, is there some headphone that's like the mid-way in between the veils, sibilance and whooping bass, and preferably studio built? Driveability isn't essential unless something like a Pico can't handle it. It doesn't matter if it's open or closed, just has to be circumural, and most of all, very neutral sounding.

Would the K701 fit the description? Is there some discontinued AKG that might pop out once in a while that has these kinds of characteristics?

Oct 2, 2007 at 7:34 AM Post #3 of 37
I disagree, the K501 definitely has a treble emphasis.

Oct 2, 2007 at 7:35 AM Post #4 of 37
Yeah I tried the K601. It seems a tad bright, and I didn't like the fit too much... thanks for the advice though.

I was wondering if the Teac Filitune Bone Conducting HP's might sound like that. I can always sell it later on right?

Oct 2, 2007 at 7:42 AM Post #5 of 37
Go for the DT-150. It's the cleanest, most neutral headphone I've ever com across.

Oct 2, 2007 at 7:58 AM Post #6 of 37
I don't really grasp what 'neutral' sound means. Considering we all have different perspective of what headphones should sounnd, and different aural sensitivity to various frequency range, one man's neutrality is just another man's distortion.

If you meant 'flat' response, I'd say dt880 has quite flat response according to headroom's measurement.

Oct 2, 2007 at 9:35 AM Post #7 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I disagree, the K501 definitely has a treble emphasis.

it seems that way because of the de-emphasis in the bass...it does have a small spike in the treble compared to the k601 and k701, but its bass rolloff makes it sound even more treble-heavy.

Oct 2, 2007 at 9:40 AM Post #8 of 37
You want non musical headphones? Something that will give you the basics without enhancing the sound in any way? About the only thing I can think of is a stethoscope. I like my headphones to talk to me in all of their different voices. Different strokes for different folks, I suppose...

Oct 2, 2007 at 9:50 AM Post #9 of 37
whats up with this dt150 I've been seeing in 2 threads within 5 minutes. Ive never heard of this before. Anyone have a pair and compare it with some high end cans?

Oct 2, 2007 at 10:36 AM Post #10 of 37
I'd recommend the DT880, cause even if the treble is a tad bit lifted, it's something you can take into account when making mix desicions.
I rather have a slight emphasis I'm aware of than having it lack somewhere (since that is impossible to compensate for).

Just my 2 cents..

Oct 2, 2007 at 12:57 PM Post #12 of 37
Is it for mixing stuff that you want true flat sound? Or is it only that you like flat the best. If it is for mixing i haven't heard any headphones that would do it when compared to monitors. Every headphones i tried for that had problm with making it right. If it is lean on bass (AKG) you will get too much bass in your mix, if it is too powerful it will be lean on mix etc. If it is because you prefer a flater sound than any of the recommendations will do it IMO

Oct 2, 2007 at 4:01 PM Post #13 of 37
Isn't Ety ER-4 one of the most neutral, accurate phones out there? Or am I dilusional?

Oct 2, 2007 at 4:45 PM Post #15 of 37
here's a freq. response graph for 4 headphones...which is the most "neutral?"

graphCompare.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Back