The non-musical, very neutral studio headphones
Oct 3, 2007 at 5:54 PM Post #31 of 37
the K701 is the closest to neutral I have heard so far and it has a wider soundstage than HD600/650. The differences among them are not night and day though: both are great with classical and both would make excellent studio headphones.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent Kang
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek
I disagree, the K501 definitely has a treble emphasis.

As does the k701s.

really? Well, if K701 has a treble emphasis, then DT880 are shrill, and Grados are torture instruments
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 3, 2007 at 11:49 PM Post #33 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AKG K1000 or the old Grado HP-2.

Agreed - I like neutral with minimal or nothing added.

But they are both musical. Hope that's not a problem for the OP.

The etys also fit into that group and aren't as musical.

Oct 3, 2007 at 11:52 PM Post #34 of 37
Looks like I'm going to have to take the steps one at a time
smily_headphones1.gif

I think the K701s would be my next stop to complement my future VF1s... unless the K1k's come out for a good price soon.

Thanks for all the help, really appreciate it.

Oct 6, 2007 at 8:11 AM Post #35 of 37
I'm also looking for a pair of "studio" headphones...I live in an apartment, and also compose electronic and rap music (some rock as well). Obviously monitors are a no.

Which would be better for rap/electronic/rock, the DT880 or AKG k701? I actually listen to just about all genre of music, but I only create in those three categories. So I'm looking for a jack of all trades can that might be a bit heavy on the bass side.

Or are there any other suggestions?

Oct 6, 2007 at 8:20 AM Post #36 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by That dude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go for the DT-150. It's the cleanest, most neutral headphone I've ever com across.

Those are incredible.. Clean describes it perfectly

Oct 6, 2007 at 12:52 PM Post #37 of 37
If you're willing to go electrostatic, the HE60 is devoid of any obvious colourations. It is pretty transparent to the gear in front of it. The attack and decay timings are pretty spot on with very little smearing in between the notes unless there is smearing in the recording. I wouldn't go so far in saying that it is completely "flat" though. The bass does roll off prematurely. All the talk about the K1000 and HP-2 being similarly "flat" makes me really want to listen to them
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back