THE NOBLE 4 (universal) Australian Tour Thread - (Impressions / Reviews)
Apr 9, 2014 at 1:44 AM Post #17 of 124
  Really? I heard it as very slightly on the warm side. 

Nope not for me in the mids, they're every so slightly cool from neutral to my ears. Take in the word 'slightly' Also find them a little mid centric as Mark does. They're cooler than Dunu DN-1000 mid range, but not overly bright in anyway.

Check here what Mark says:

MIDS:
 All I can say is WOW! This is what got me hooked to the Noble 4... timbre, clarity, and detail is its main forte. Vocals sound so natural that listening to Jewel - Somewhere Over The Rainbow is like having her sing right in front of you! Duets such as Tell Him by Celine Dion and Barbara Streisand are presented very well that you'd appreciate the contrasting tonal differences between the two vocals. Instruments sound excellent, full and rich... I've never heard the piano, cello, and violin rendered this natural ever! The KEF M200 is pretty close but the clarity and clean tone from the balance armature driver in the Noble 4 keeps it ahead. For the most part, I find the mids really neutral and it only starts to deviate after 3Khz where it's supposed to slope down to render a more smoother sound. To my ears, I hear the upper mids staying forward 'til about 7Khz before it starts sloping down; making the Noble 4 sound MID-centric and presents the extra clarity and resolution that most of us look for in an IEM. As a result, distorted guitars sound just a little bit edgy and vocal sibilance becomes quite apparent if it exists in the recording. The balance armature dedicated for the midrange is quite transparent and I instantly notice nuances, even the shortcomings in the mixing and mastering of the tracks. Those who desire to enjoy each and every track in their library should be aware of this because no matter what you do, this IEM will reveal everything! 

Apr 9, 2014 at 4:51 AM Post #18 of 124
  I've spent a good couple of hours running through some test tracks I use with IEM's and I cannot fault Noble 4 yet, actually I'm very much impressed with what I'm hearing. Tonality is right where I like it, personally find it just a fraction brighter than neutral (just slightly) which makes the mid range clear, crisp, airy and well detailed, there's good extension on the highs. Best of all N4 maintains all this without any spikes or sibilance even at higher volumes. I find N4 quite stable which is a good sign of being tuned carefully. Soundstage is impressive as is imaging, they also seem to adapt their own unique timbre which gives N4 a house sound? I find them rather sensitive too so they're easy to drive straight from Colorfly C3. When I keep wanting to go straight back and listen to an IEM that's a good sign. A good bonus for me is the last two demo units I had  from other IEM makers, I was rather unimpressed, so it's a pleasant change finally wanting to spend quality time with N4. 

Nice to see you get a bit excited again with an IEM Luke! They are such gems aren't they? Sometimes I find it hard when writing review because I seem to end up listening more to the Noble 4 while doing an A/B comparison which only delays me in finishing my write-up. 
etysmile.gif

By the way... if you got time, check this track with the Noble 4: it's what I use to check how good an IEM is in coherency, detail, clarity, imaging, and headstage.
Unfortunately, I can't find this version on HD quality. I bought the album, it's awesome! Just as good as Daft Punk's Random Access Memories.

Apr 9, 2014 at 4:55 AM Post #19 of 124
this looks like a worthy successor when i decide to move up from my beloved re272

Apr 9, 2014 at 4:57 AM Post #20 of 124
Apr 9, 2014 at 5:10 AM Post #21 of 124

If only I have heard the 272 so I can make a brief comparison...
Maybe @H20Fidelity has?

Haven't heard 272. :)

PS: Thanks for the album recommendation, I have gone ahead and purchased it myself. I've been having quite the time with some female vocalists and acoustic tracks, I also tried some EDM and N4 while not having the bass impact some might like is perfectly fine for executing such genre's. I think as we become more seasoned we learn there's much more to SQ than bass, so there's many other areas to enjoy whilst listening to an IEM with a neutral low end.

Apr 9, 2014 at 7:16 AM Post #22 of 124
  Really? I heard it as very slightly on the warm side. 

I hear it the same way with the stock blue core tips - a touch on the warm side of neutral. About how the er4s sounds with foam tips on. In comparison the N4 with the ortofon tips is more similar in tone with the er4s with the tri-flanges - slightly cooler but I find the clarity gets quite a nice boost with them on.

And, H20, I told you that you'll like them - the N4 is definitely great. 

Apr 9, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #23 of 124
  I hear it the same way with the stock blue core tips - a touch on the warm side of neutral. About how the er4s sounds with foam tips on. In comparison the N4 with the ortofon tips is more similar in tone with the er4s with the tri-flanges - slightly cooler but I find the clarity gets quite a nice boost with them on.

I didn't like the N4 with the stock tips, kinda restricts the sound a bit. With a wider bore tips such as the Dunu reinforced stock tips, the sound is marginally better. More airy to my ears.

Apr 9, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #24 of 124

I do not hear them like that, maybe in the lower mid-range downwards where they're rather smooth, however the upper mid tilt I hear comes across cooler to me. Gives good detail to vocals and pushes out clarity in that region. I'm using  medium size red core tips btw. I've actually bought some more because they work on my RDB and 1Plus2. With a little more listening like d marc0 heard there's slight hints of vocal sibilance if within a track though it's a walk in the park really and rather subtle. One would be nit picking to fault N4 for it.

Overall everything is going smooth with N4, I'm enjoying them quite a lot. Maybe not to the extend of buying a pair just yet but certainly admiring them. :wink: 

Apr 9, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #25 of 124

I didn't like the N4 with the stock tips, kinda restricts the sound a bit. With a wider bore tips such as the Dunu reinforced stock tips, the sound is marginally better. More airy to my ears.

Well, I actually tried it with a gazzillion tips and IMO the bore width of the blue core tips is about the best for N4. Narrower bore makes the sound a bit too mid-centric and lacking on top while wider bores make the sound more open but it loses some of its focus and the bass loses some tightness and punch. IMO it's more a matter of the type of silicone used. The bores of the ortofon tips are about the same as the stock blue core ones but the silicone used is softer and thinner, which reduces the bass a bit but brings a bit more air and clarity in the mix while the focus and tightness of the sound is still spot-on

I do not hear them like that, maybe in the lower mid-range downwards where they're rather smooth, however the upper mid tilt I hear comes across cooler to me. Gives good detail to vocals and pushes out clarity in that region. I'm using  medium size red core tips btw. I've actually bought some more because they work on my RDB and 1Plus2. With a little more listening like d marc0 heard there's slight hints of vocal sibilance if within a track though it's a walk in the park really and rather subtle. One would be nit picking to fault N4 for it.

Overall everything is going smooth with N4, I'm enjoying them quite a lot. Maybe not to the extend of buying a pair just yet but certainly admiring them. :wink: 

With the stock blue core and red core tips the sound is pretty smooth not just in the lower region but overall IMO. I think with the stock blue core tips the N4 is pretty forgiving for its close to reference sound because of its smoothness. I tried it even with picky songs that have sibilance in them or can get close to annoyingly harsh with a more analytical iem, especially iems that are more aggressive in the upper regions like the B2. For instance, er4s with the tri-flanges is a touch cooler and sounds definitely clearer and brighter than the N4 with the blue core tips on. N4 with the ortofon tips on sacrifices some of the warmth and smoothness but brings extra clarity to the entire frequency range. The bass in particular loses some weight and fullness but gains clarity and speed. At any rate, the refinement the N4 has is astonishing even with some of my very picky recordings. By memory, the N4 makes even the gr07 mk2 sound kinda bad given that it was more prone to sibilance and splashier in the treble while lacking the level of detail the N4 has, so I can't really call N4 sibilant or anything just because it can point out sibilance in a track that has it coz the only iems that don't do that are the ones with laid back upper regions.

Out of the bags upon bags of tips I tried the otrofon and the stock blue core ones are the best IMO and while initially I was struggling to decide which ones I prefer, I decided the sound differences they bring are big enough that I might as well use both depending on my mood and the music I'm listening to at the moment.

Apr 10, 2014 at 5:15 AM Post #26 of 124
Quote:

Nope not for me in the mids, they're every so slightly cool from neutral to my ears. Take in the word 'slightly' Also find them a little mid centric as Mark does. They're cooler than Dunu DN-1000 mid range, but not overly bright in anyway.

+1 to that to me, the mids are no where near what i would consider warm.

Hmm interesting, using my x5 and the n4 with the medium sized blue tips, i seriously cant find any tinge of warmth in the N4 IMHO to me the N4 leans towards the more analytical side of tuning, could it be our source that's different cause the x5 is known to be a very neutral source.

Apr 10, 2014 at 8:32 AM Post #27 of 124
  Quote:

+1 to that to me, the mids are no where near what i would consider warm.
Hmm interesting, using my x5 and the n4 with the medium sized blue tips, i seriously cant find any tinge of warmth in the N4 IMHO to me the N4 leans towards the more analytical side of tuning, could it be our source that's different cause the x5 is known to be a very neutral source.

You're misinterpreting my impressions - I'm not saying it's warm but rather that it's slightly on the warm side of neutral with the blue core tips. While with the ortofon tips it get's a bit cooler and closer to analytical. I don't really have warm sources but I haven't heard the X5 - judging by some of the impressions it might be a bit on the bright side though.

Apr 10, 2014 at 9:28 AM Post #28 of 124
  You're misinterpreting my impressions - I'm not saying it's warm but rather that it's slightly on the warm side of neutral with the blue core tips. While with the ortofon tips it get's a bit cooler and closer to analytical. I don't really have warm sources but I haven't heard the X5 - judging by some of the impressions it might be a bit on the bright side though.

Well that's the thing really, just like X5's varying impressions. Tonaltiy and neutrality are one thing (from my experience reading) harder to decide online between members.

The definition of neutral for example is an ongoing affair of mixed conclusions. Do you know where neutral is? I think I do. O_o Well I don't agree.......

How about we all just agree N4 is close to 'neutral'  Shimmers of light either side can be pushed aside.
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 10, 2014 at 9:38 AM Post #29 of 124

Well that's the thing really, just like X5's varying impressions. Tonaltiy and neutrality are one thing (from my experience reading) harder to decide online between members.

The definition of neutral for example is an ongoing affair of mixed conclusions. Do you know where neutral is? I think I do. O_o Well I don't agree.......

How about we all just agree N4 is close to 'neutral'  Shimmers of light either side can be pushed aside.
tongue_smile.gif

Yeah, this is like anything else on head-fi - there will be arguments and members won't always agree on the same thing. Different sources, different people and different ears will always be a factor.

Apr 10, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #30 of 124
Quote:
  Yeah, this is like anything else on head-fi - there will be arguments and members won't always agree on the same thing. Different sources, different people and different ears will always be a factor.

But we all love audio! That's all that matters! Our quest for audio nirvana keeps us here. (for very long time with much $$$ spent)

The road to no-where......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back