The NIKON Thread (Talk About Nikon Stuff here)
Mar 12, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #5,823 of 5,895
  Amos you taking the D750 out west next month. I am taking the Fuji Xt-1 and two lenses the 18-55 and also 55-200 in case I hit the sights. Maybe throw the 23MM 1.4 in the bag too

Yes, with the 24-70. That'll cover everything I reckon. 

Mar 16, 2015 at 4:05 AM Post #5,824 of 5,895

Wapho Temple, Bangkok

Nice pic !

Thank you :) 

Here are a couple I took today of a local hip hop artist and producer for his upcoming album.  He's been on MTV and is one of the hardest working people I know (he's a director of sales at a multi billion dollar IT company as well)

Mar 16, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #5,826 of 5,895
Beautiful ones!! Can you please share what equipment you use to take those pics
smily_headphones1.gif

-I'd just like to paraphrase the NRA - 'Cameras don't take pictures; photographers do.'

While kit is definitely part of the equation, there's no doubt that skills, practice, practice, some more practice and skills is what makes for great photos.

Oh, and some practice and skills, too.

:)

Mar 19, 2015 at 7:21 AM Post #5,827 of 5,895
-I'd just like to paraphrase the NRA - 'Cameras don't take pictures; photographers do.'

While kit is definitely part of the equation, there's no doubt that skills, practice, practice, some more practice and skills is what makes for great photos.

Oh, and some practice and skills, too.

:)

I knew the "golden rule" but still want to know the range of lens you took them :)

Mar 19, 2015 at 7:44 AM Post #5,828 of 5,895
I knew the "golden rule" but still want to know the range of lens you took them
smily_headphones1.gif

-Oops, my apologies for the confusion - I am not the photographer; that's hyogen/ Justin Lee.

I just had an idle moment after having just been asked half a dozen times by colleagues at work what camera I had used to shoot a photo we wound up using in a marketing brochure, and vented my slight frustration at you. :)

Mar 21, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #5,829 of 5,895

Thank you
smily_headphones1.gif

Here are a couple I took today of a local hip hop artist and producer for his upcoming album.  He's been on MTV and is one of the hardest working people I know (he's a director of sales at a multi billion dollar IT company as well)

Beautiful ones!! Can you please share what equipment you use to take those pics
smily_headphones1.gif

Hehe, I agree the photographer takes the pics not the camera, but really nice equipment certainly helps.  

I believe both of these were shot with my Nikon D750 and 85mm f1.8 lens.  There's a chance the first one was shot with a 35mm f1.4 lens.  I rarely shoot wide open at the largest aperture for multiple reasons.  The first one I used two speedlights with colored gels and second one I used one speedlight in a softbox.  

If you want to get better quick my best advice for you is to force yourself to shoot in manual mode and use fixed focal length lenses.  That way you learn how to control the exposure triangle and learn to frame your subject and decide on settings before you take the shot.  Also, just 3 short years ago I had no idea people did post processing.......I thought sharp, vibrant colors came from the camera and lens.  I laugh about it now :)  I've spent countless hours editing and correcting skin tones and white balance these past few years.  

Thanks for the compliments.  Definitely has taken a lot of practice and trial/error, but I'm still not done learning yet--I've still got quite a ways to go before I get to where I want to be.  

Mar 21, 2015 at 11:16 PM Post #5,830 of 5,895
Nikon D7200:
Thoughts anyone? :xf_eek:

Mar 29, 2015 at 2:33 AM Post #5,832 of 5,895
A great photo is much more than sharp, noise free, chromatic abberation free, and pretty bokeh (which by the way just means blurry in Japanese).
A camera operator believes a better camera results in a better picture.
A true photographer creates the image by using a camera.

Apr 23, 2015 at 2:26 AM Post #5,834 of 5,895
A week ago even I thought about switching to Canon for skin tones....after this wedding this past Sunday in my most challenging low light venue yet I am happy to stay with Nikon.  Super happy with how my lighting strategy turned out.  Haven't even gone through 20% of the pics!

Apr 23, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #5,835 of 5,895
Canon?
What's a "Canon"?
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back