The next step in desktop amps
Jan 14, 2007 at 7:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Little J040

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I love my glite, but wondering what would be a "substantial" upgrade in the desktop amp department.

The only qualms i have about my g-lite are the slightly lean lower frequencies. I love the treble extension and the overall clarity of the g-lite.

Any Ideas or reccomendations on where to start looking?

Cheers,

Jeff
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 14, 2007 at 11:08 PM Post #2 of 8
Any ideas? Come on
biggrin.gif

Jan 14, 2007 at 11:32 PM Post #3 of 8
Are you looking for another solid state amp, or are you thinking about tubes?

For solid state, you might be interested in the offerings from HeadRoom and Meier Audio. Dr. Meier recently brought out the Opera and there are price reductions on a few of his other amps. Also, one of the HeadRoom home amps would be nice.

A newer amp that's getting a lot of attention here is the Heed CanAmp. About $400, and the reviews are glowing. I've also seen good reviews for the new Eddie Current EC SS.

As for tubes, everyone seems to love the amps from Mapletree, Singlepower and Ray Samuels.

You might also want to toss in the Musical Fidelity X-Can v3, which seems to be well-liked.

Jan 15, 2007 at 4:37 AM Post #4 of 8
I am kinda up for bids on either tube or SS... I personally like the speed and resolution of most SS amps i've heard, so I would say im leaning towards SS.

What about DIY amps? What would best my g-lite for 300-500$?

Thanks,

Jeff

Jan 15, 2007 at 5:12 AM Post #5 of 8
It'd be a toss up. No doubt the PPA and M^3 can compete with your G-Lite, but your preference to each's presentation would simply be personal preference.

There's a few DIY amps in the Headwize forums that I had never heard of 'till recently, and they look to be of extremely high quality. Perhaps you could ask a builder or two if they were willing to make you one of them. I don't have a link, nor do I know the code for the Greek symbol, but I believe one of the amps I'm talking about is named "(Beta)22"? You might want to check it out.

Jan 15, 2007 at 5:18 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by khbaur330162 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's a few DIY amps in the Headwize forums that I had never heard of 'till recently, and they look to be of extremely high quality. Perhaps you could ask a builder or two if they were willing to make you one of them. I don't have a link, nor do I know the code for the Greek symbol, but I believe one of the amps I'm talking about is named "(Beta)22"? You might want to check it out.

You would be hard pressed to build the beta22 for under $500. If you use the sigma22 power supply design you're looking at around $125 right there and even if you do a 2-channel, passive ground config, you're still going to be looking at around $200 more and you'd still be lacking a case and all of the other bits and pieces (volume pot, etc.) to get it really working. I'm not trying to discourage anyone from building one, it's a phenomenal sounding amp. But cheap it is not, I expect mine will finish in the $600 to $700 range
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 16, 2007 at 2:03 AM Post #7 of 8
I have not heard of this Beta 22 you are talking about, I'll h ave to check it out although it is slightly out of my price range. Im basically looking for something that will be better than my G-lite, but if its 3-4 hundred more I can't see buying one soon.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Any other suggestions are welcome

Jan 16, 2007 at 3:17 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You would be hard pressed to build the beta22 for under $500. If you use the sigma22 power supply design you're looking at around $125 right there and even if you do a 2-channel, passive ground config, you're still going to be looking at around $200 more and you'd still be lacking a case and all of the other bits and pieces (volume pot, etc.) to get it really working. I'm not trying to discourage anyone from building one, it's a phenomenal sounding amp. But cheap it is not, I expect mine will finish in the $600 to $700 range
evil_smiley.gif

My bad. Tell us what it sound slike when yours is all finished. Very interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back