The Next Step? (HD650 v K702 v DT990 v DT880 v anything else you can think of :P)
Feb 23, 2011 at 11:21 AM Post #16 of 29

Quote:
ACDOAN does that mean you'll call the HD650 more boring than the K702? Seems most head-fi'ers find the K702 to be the most neutral sounding amongst the lot. I'm wondering how the Beyers will compare against the HD650 if anybody can offer up some impressions :)

WOW, I guess I am an old and boring man in this forum since all my life, I have been in search for the most NEUTRAL  sounding pre-amp/ amp/ speakers and they do not come with a small ticket. I don't find NEUTRAL to be BORING . On the other hand, I do not understand while people want to listen to colored sound.

I love my HD 650 even though they do carry some Senn signature as a bit colored but vocals or small piece of jazz , they are preciously designed not BORING. The AKG 702s are not BORING either but they could be if you think NEUTRAL is BORING. The AKG 702s have an immense wide soundstage and they are a heavenly pair of cans for acoustics, blues, jazz. Yet, the AKGs are very NEUTRAL. They more neutral than the HD650 and there is no doubt about that but that is why the AKGs and the HD650 are appreciated among the audiophiles.

Feb 23, 2011 at 11:35 AM Post #17 of 29
Sorry ACDOAN I think I mis-understood you. I do prefer my music to be accurate, fast and fairly neutral, but maybe with just a bit of kick up the bass-end. Didn't meant to equate neutral with boring :p

Quote:
WOW, I guess I am an old and boring man in this forum since all my life, I have been in search for the most NEUTRAL  sounding pre-amp/ amp/ speakers and they do not come with a small ticket. I don't find NEUTRAL to be BORING . On the other hand, I do not understand while people want to listen to colored sound.

I love my HD 650 even though they do carry some Senn signature as a bit colored but vocals or small piece of jazz , they are preciously designed not BORING. The AKG 702s are not BORING either but they could be if you think NEUTRAL is BORING. The AKG 702s have an immense wide soundstage and they are a heavenly pair of cans for acoustics, blues, jazz. Yet, the AKGs are very NEUTRAL. They more neutral than the HD650 and there is no doubt about that but that is why the AKGs and the HD650 are appreciated among the audiophiles.

Feb 23, 2011 at 12:34 PM Post #18 of 29

Quote:
Sorry ACDOAN I think I mis-understood you. I do prefer my music to be accurate, fast and fairly neutral, but maybe with just a bit of kick up the bass-end. Didn't meant to equate neutral with boring :p

Zychan1,no sweat ,buddy. I have bought the M50s and they are  praised for being "fun" but I haven't had a chance even to open the package yet. We all have different experience and different opinions about the same piece of equipment based on our own ears, taste of music and listening skill and that makes the audio world more complex yet more interesting.

Best wish. 

Feb 23, 2011 at 1:00 PM Post #19 of 29
I am reading some reviews by the owners of the Ultrasone Pro 900s. As far as the common opinions, these cans are not BORING at all. It's may worth  looking into as an upgrading from the AKG 702 and the Senn HD 650.

What do you guys think?

Feb 23, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #20 of 29
Forgot about these. They are in the same price range as the K702 and HD650, but I doubt they'll be much of an upgrade. You should really be looking at the Edition 8/9, HD800, LCD-2 or K1000 as the next step up. Unfortunately in my current financial situation those are well out of reach :p 

Quote:
I am reading some reviews by the owners of the Ultrasone Pro 900s. As far as the common opinions, these cans are not BORING at all. It's may worth  looking into as an upgrading from the AKG 702 and the Senn HD 650.

What do you guys think?

Feb 23, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #21 of 29
I own the AKG 701's, and also agree if you think neutrality in the sound reproduced is boring then these might not be for that individual's tastes.

I actually like how I am listening to the music as accurately as possible. For example, the Caliente I have adds a nice weight to the music by means of a very well rendered bass boost. Yet, songs like "Like My Fire" do not sound lush, instead it sounds very realistic. The Doors did not use a bass player, by the way.

For me it isn't a matter of what to get, but rather what to get next. Having said that there are some headphones I do want to try, and others that do not interest me.

Feb 23, 2011 at 6:36 PM Post #22 of 29
Here's a review I wrote on the AKG's...

Keep researching until you get a good idea of that headphone's personality, and see if it is what you're looking for.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/540545/review-akg-k-701-kicas-caliente-w-pictures

Feb 23, 2011 at 7:01 PM Post #23 of 29
Hey jeust, thanks for the review! Yeah that's what I'm trying to do, trying to get a feel of each different sound signature by comparing to whatever I've listened to before (which is not much!)

Truth be told I'm leaning away from the K701/2 because it sounds much too neutral for me. Prefer something a bit more engaging and warm, maybe not to the extend of Grado's (that's why you don't see them on the list) but certainly more than what my current Beyers sound like. The Caliente sounds like a good complement to the K701 though with its bass bump. Will certainly keep that in mind for the future. 

Thanks! Any thoughts are highly appreciated!

Quote:
Here's a review I wrote on the AKG's...

Keep researching until you get a good idea of that headphone's personality, and see if it is what you're looking for.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/540545/review-akg-k-701-kicas-caliente-w-pictures

Feb 24, 2011 at 4:28 AM Post #24 of 29
I did not find the k701 very neutral, although I do think it tries to give that impression. It is very detailed and the imaging is scarily accurate. I like it a lot, but there was a kind of coating on the sound which sounded like liquid butter, if that makes sense. Not neutral in other words. The k500 and k501 do much better if you want actual representation (to the extent that is possible of course and if you would recognize it when you hear it: i doubt my own abilities in that regard). I really like the k701 btw, but for a neutral sound I'd got to the k50X or the dt48. I'd steer clear from the pro900 and similar cans.

Feb 24, 2011 at 7:29 AM Post #26 of 29
Because they're not more 'neutral', merely different
biggrin.gif
. They are I suspect more neutral-sounding, but that is not the same as being neutral (having a flat response, which is something nobody wants in the end).

Quote:
Why then do I have doubts?

Feb 24, 2011 at 6:06 PM Post #27 of 29

Quote:
Because they're not more 'neutral', merely different
biggrin.gif
. They are I suspect more neutral-sounding, but that is not the same as being neutral (having a flat response, which is something nobody wants in the end).

I found them outrageously thin and bright, with an odd metallic colouration. Plus their FR is all over the place. Not sure where neutral comes into all this.

Feb 25, 2011 at 5:39 AM Post #29 of 29
They do sound neutralish with a powerful amp (and synergy, they are picky). With a wrong amp or without one they have the ability to sound like utter crap.

Quote:
I found them outrageously thin and bright, with an odd metallic colouration. Plus their FR is all over the place. Not sure where neutral comes into all this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back