The NEW JVC HA-S400. Affordable Carbon Nanotube cans for the masses.
Aug 29, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #1,261 of 1,522
Quote:
Just got mine yesterday, pretty good for £20!
Has made me curious about the s500 , are they much better?
Also how does the top hinge hold up? Seems like a weak point to me.

S500 isn't better, it's a different sound signature - more V-shaped.
If you enjoy S400's balanced sound, skip S500.

Sep 3, 2013 at 8:48 PM Post #1,262 of 1,522
So, for the new semester, I needed to buy a backpack. And then i was on amazon, looking through backpacks, when suddenly my audio hunger started rising up and i decided, "hey, why not buy some headphones?" I thought I could use a beater pair, and decided to look these up. I currently own the Kicker hp541/Monoprice 108323, Grado sr125, and some brainwavz b2's. Can anyone give me some comparisons of technical capability and such? 

Sep 3, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #1,263 of 1,522
  So, for the new semester, I needed to buy a backpack. And then i was on amazon, looking through backpacks, when suddenly my audio hunger started rising up and i decided, "hey, why not buy some headphones?" I thought I could use a beater pair, and decided to look these up. I currently own the Kicker hp541/Monoprice 108323, Grado sr125, and some brainwavz b2's. Can anyone give me some comparisons of technical capability and such? 

I have the Monoprice phones as well as some Grado SR100's and I prefer the sound sig of the S400's for most genres. Especially unamped. Add a good amp and my tastes change to a slightly warmer phone. The Grado bests them in soundstage of course since it's open. I can actually hear a few similarities in sound sig to the 8323. Not much info but hope it helps a little.

Oct 3, 2013 at 10:17 AM Post #1,265 of 1,522
Purchased a pair,

Sounded decent at first, but after burning in for some 24-48 hours...... all I hear is just bass / muddy low end!

Somewhat disappointed at the moment, but I do understand that it *SHOULD* disappear after a longer burn in =\

Oct 3, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #1,266 of 1,522
  Purchased a pair,

Sounded decent at first, but after burning in for some 24-48 hours...... all I hear is just bass / muddy low end!

Somewhat disappointed at the moment, but I do understand that it *SHOULD* disappear after a longer burn in =\

It will sound a lot better after 200-300 hours.

Oct 3, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #1,267 of 1,522
Sometimes, trusting Head-Fi can be misleading :p

As soon as I bought my S400, I immediately made a "phat pad mode" with rolled paper tissues under the pads. And the headphone was somewhat sibilant, vocals a bit distant. Good sound, but... I expected a little more.

Some time later, I removed the paper rolls.

Wow.

The sibilance is gone. What I have now is textured, impactful bass. Good vocals (not on the same level as Audio Technica's, but good). An overall balanced sound. Yeah, I'd like a touch more treble to make music more lively, more sparkly, and vocals more intimate and romantic. But I spent 40 Euro for this. It's better than the 70€ AKG K518DJ. I cant' complain. In fact, I'm enjoying the S400 a lot. Unmodded. What do you know.

Clamping force is also much less than with the AKG, and the S400 is much more portable. The way it folds is genius. And I can flip one earpiece outside when I want to listen to something while remaining aware of my surroundings.

Isolation could definitely be better, but if it must come with headaches from the clamping force, then I'll do with less isolation. I couldn't wear the AKG for more than an hour, and that was stretching it. With the S400, I can comfortably listen for at least a couple of hours straight.

I find myself using the S400 more than my full-size cans. It's just so easy to pick up and go. It also sounds acceptable out of my laptop, because it isn't too revealing.

I'm still curious about the portable wooden Audio Technicas, but I'm very satisfied with the S400 as a portable. Excellent value for the money. I just don't feel I need more.

Oct 4, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #1,269 of 1,522
**edit**

Oct 4, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #1,270 of 1,522
  Purchased a pair,

What are you using as a source and are you amping?

Oct 8, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #1,272 of 1,522
  Hope these sound a lot better with break in.  They sound very hollow to me so far.

After 200-300 hours they will change. Damn nanotubes
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 11, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #1,274 of 1,522
just bought some... gonna try skimming the thread soon but has anyone come up with any comfort based mods for these... i wear glasses and these clamp my ears onto the bit that goes behind them

Oct 11, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #1,275 of 1,522
just bought some... gonna try skimming the thread soon but has anyone come up with any comfort based mods for these... i wear glasses and these clamp my ears onto the bit that goes behind them

wink.gif

Actually, look into the Brainwavz HM5 pad mod for the HA-S500. Since the S400s share the same housing as the S500, it will work the same (though, IMO, the comfort gains come at the expense of attractiveness and portability).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back