The NEW JVC HA-S400. Affordable Carbon Nanotube cans for the masses.
Nov 19, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #661 of 1,522
Quote:
I've managed to get a pair of KSC75's thanks to Head-Fi's recommendations.  Since then I've recabled them.  Modded them.  Put px200 earpads on them (and absolutely love them).

Cool! I only put mine on the parts-express headband, and removed the plastic driver cover. You prompted me to throw them on right now. Still great :)

Quote:
Now I've ordered a pair of these.  Can't wait to see what they sound like.  Then I look forward to trying out some mods.  

I've always been a budget DIY'er and Head-Fi has been an incredible source of information and ideas.  Thanks guys.

I will be very interested in your comparison of the s400 and your modded ksc75's!

Nov 19, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #662 of 1,522
Quote:
It does seem like a good idea, however as I do use these for portable use as well as home use I'd need to know if they can still fold with the bigger pads, I.E is the headband big enough for them to still rest inside? If not I could just remove them for commuting, however like someone else asked, are they as good when not stitched to the stock pads? I'd also have to take into account that mine are white, so it may look a bit odd, but that's only a minor concern.

If you want to avoid stitching you can look into these:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/621063/the-new-jvc-ha-s500-40mm-carbon-nanotubes/3060#post_8869580

And yes, they still fold fine but the pads push together a little.  Which is not too much a problem since the pads are very soft so they give easily.

Nov 20, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #663 of 1,522
Thanks Ghost !! I had been lurking around and this thing of beauty finally landed( I was also shaken up by the costpi fiasco, but my bank refunded)

Sounds amazing....GF is jealous ..

Thanks,

Syd

Nov 20, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #666 of 1,522
Quote:
Any more impressions on the TP mod?

IMO it works,  i am using Coby Pads and i lost bass, so the TP mod + covering the vents works very well, maybe 1db of more bass.

Nov 20, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #668 of 1,522
Quote:

IMO it works,  i am using Coby Pads and i lost bass, so the TP mod + covering the vents works very well, maybe 1db of more bass.

Covering the vents.....more bass quantity.....at the expense of less bass quality.....imo!  Tape removed, HM5 pads=excellent sounds!

Nov 20, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #669 of 1,522
Quote:
This is from putting TP behind the driver, not in the pads, right? Just realized there are two mods involving TP and I may not have been clear.

Yes,  you can cover the vents with tape and stuff towel paper under de pads,  if you dont like the sound from these changes just take them off, no problem.

there are those that like the increased bass others dont, so its a personal preference.

Nov 20, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #671 of 1,522
Srry to hijack the thread but im sorta new to the headphone thing and wanted some advice

1: I want a headphone with good bass but not muddy
2: I want it to be very clear and reproduce the sound accuratly
3: I dont want the highs or the lows to try and kill each other i want them to be in unison
4: want them to be comfy
5: and not too expensive

Thanks

Nov 20, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #672 of 1,522
Quote:
Srry to hijack the thread but im sorta new to the headphone thing and wanted some advice
1: I want a headphone with good bass but not muddy
2: I want it to be very clear and reproduce the sound accuratly
3: I dont want the highs or the lows to try and kill each other i want them to be in unison
4: want them to be comfy
5: and not too expensive
Thanks

Whats kind of music do you listen to?

Nov 21, 2012 at 2:40 AM Post #675 of 1,522
Haha funny thing I was doing a quick comparison with my brothers HM3's just a couple hours back.
The HM3 is more bright; less bass hitting, and treble and highs are a tad bit higher, can be piercing if you have sensitive ears.
These HA-S400's on the other hand are warmer, and have a good amount of bass with stock pads, no mods. The mids are just a tad bit receded. HA-S400's have less clarity and a smaller sound stage than the HM3's from what I remember.
I like to think of it as HA-S400 being more "new gen" with sleeker design, better portability and a bit more bass with the sacrifice of some clarity which the HM3's have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back