The NEW JVC HA-S400. Affordable Carbon Nanotube cans for the masses.
Jan 11, 2014 at 5:19 AM Post #1,306 of 1,522
thanks to this thread

was looking for a pair of headphones for the kids in the car that were half decent but not expensive - and stumbled across this thread

bought a pair for £25 in the UK - and have to say out of the box I'm very very impressed indeed - what a fantastic pair of headphones ! - can't believe a pair of headphones at this price can sound this good really - even out of the box - not burned in - I'm preferring them to my daily PX200-IIs

cheers :)

Jan 11, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #1,307 of 1,522
as a quick update - still after hours of listening am very impressed

preferring the synergy with my Iphone 4 vs the Ipad 4 with them too - seem to get less siblance (its prettty minimal on the Ipad 4 though) with the Iphone 4 and better sound-stage

think I'm going to replace my work PX200-IIs with a pair of these

Jan 26, 2014 at 10:21 PM Post #1,309 of 1,522
anyone that had these for a while can vouch on their durability?

the foldable headband (especially at the centre worries me) that looks like the place where the headband would probably have the greatest amount of stress!!

also the non replaceable cable is another big no no for me but i'm seriously in love with the white! from early accounts it seems like it might be similar in sound signature as the monster dnas (which i have heard and i very much like) and at a fraction of the price!

Jan 26, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #1,310 of 1,522
anyone that had these for a while can vouch on their durability?

the foldable headband (especially at the centre worries me) that looks like the place where the headband would probably have the greatest amount of stress!!

also the non replaceable cable is another big no no for me but i'm seriously in love with the white! from early accounts it seems like it might be similar in sound signature as the monster dnas (which i have heard and i very much like) and at a fraction of the price!

I've had my white pair for a year or longer and had no issues with the headband at all. The cable is one of the strongest I've seen, very thick. I don't think you will have any problems.

I also own monster dna's and s400s sound nothing like them. The dna's sound much, much better, comparable to vmoda m80s like others have mentioned.

S400s are great(for the price) but don't expect them to sound like dna's.

Jan 26, 2014 at 10:36 PM Post #1,311 of 1,522
I've had my white pair for a year or longer and had no issues with the headband at all. The cable is one of the strongest I've seen, very thick. I don't think you will have any problems.

I also own monster dna's and s400s sound nothing like them. The dna's sound much, much better, comparable to vmoda m80s like others have mentioned.

S400s are great(for the price) but don't expect them to sound like dna's.

haha great! thanks for the quick reply! and you happen to have personal experience with the dnas

i see the dnas here in canada for like 139$ during christmas for like $100 haha but oh well, i saw the demos at the store and the hinges were so loose (its definitely more durable than their beats counterpart) but still

i guess i would be better off saving for the vmoda xs (they come in white too) thanks again

Jan 26, 2014 at 10:50 PM Post #1,312 of 1,522
haha great! thanks for the quick reply! and you happen to have personal experience with the dnas

i see the dnas here in canada for like 139$ during christmas for like $100 haha but oh well, i saw the demos at the store and the hinges were so loose (its definitely more durable than their beats counterpart) but still

i guess i would be better off saving for the vmoda xs (they come in white too) thanks again

No problem! I ended up getting those dna's for $99 during xmas. And I just grabbed the vmoda crossfades for $79 on amazon! Dnas are more balanced, crossfades are good for edm hip hop etc.. Tho must say the s400s with my fiio e6 definitely sound a bit better than they do without. Either way I still like my s400s a lot.

Jan 26, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #1,313 of 1,522
No problem! I ended up getting those dna's for $99 during xmas. And I just grabbed the vmoda crossfades for $79 on amazon! Dnas are more balanced, crossfades are good for edm hip hop etc.. Tho must say the s400s with my fiio e6 definitely sound a bit better than they do without. Either way I still like my s400s a lot.

oh i have the fiio e6 as well haha 

what did you mean here? do you mean you prefer the s400 with fiio e6 > vmoda m80? or you mean you felt the s400 needed the extra bass that the fiioe6

wow those are super deals!!!! haha if i saw them i would've snapped them up (but i've been in the iem game more nowadays haha) snapped up the deals gr07be ($100) , re400 ($139), monster turbines (50) and the jvc fxd80(45) all since july(6 months?! wow i didn't even keep count)

Jan 26, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #1,314 of 1,522
  oh i have the fiio e6 as well haha 

what did you mean here? do you mean you prefer the s400 with fiio e6 > vmoda m80? or you mean you felt the s400 needed the extra bass that the fiioe6

wow those are super deals!!!! haha if i saw them i would've snapped them up (but i've been in the iem game more nowadays haha) snapped up the deals gr07be ($100) , re400 ($139), monster turbines (50) and the jvc fxd80(45) all since july(6 months?! wow i didn't even keep count)

Just that the s400 sounds better with the e6 than without it. You can get s500s shipped to canada for about $40.

Jan 29, 2014 at 8:43 AM Post #1,315 of 1,522
Hi has anyone had experiences with both this headphone the s400 and the Phillips Citiscape downtown? I'm looking for a set of cans for my girlfriend Haha but I'm looking for better sound quality at this price and not too bloated bass. Thanks!

Jan 29, 2014 at 9:01 AM Post #1,316 of 1,522
Hi has anyone had experiences with both this headphone the s400 and the Phillips Citiscape downtown? I'm looking for a set of cans for my girlfriend Haha but I'm looking for better sound quality at this price and not too bloated bass. Thanks!

I would like to noe too. The design of the citiscape looks pretty sturdy, its a metal beam as a headband, and it looks really nice imo. Maybe if ur gf is a style> substance. Either way sq wise im pretty sure she'll be happy.

Jan 29, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #1,317 of 1,522
How do these or S500 (or S680) compare to Philips Downtowns? After few years the cord of the latter broke inside the joint between the headband and the right element so I'm looking for a new portable pair. I kinda liked Downtowns, the mids were a bit too underwhelming but all-around they were okay. I could get these apparently for 24£ and S500 for 26£ +postage, dunno about the S680 model.

E: I think i need to refresh my browser tabs more often.

Jan 29, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #1,318 of 1,522
I would like to noe too. The design of the citiscape looks pretty sturdy, its a metal beam as a headband, and it looks really nice imo. Maybe if ur gf is a style> substance. Either way sq wise im pretty sure she'll be happy.

haha yeah i was looking at that but people said the right ear ended up going out after a period of time. Im just not sure if people mis treated them etc. And she's the type that appreciates gifts for the thought of it. its me that just wants to have her look cute i guess. Haha just a gift for valentines and 18 months.

Jan 30, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #1,319 of 1,522
Tho must say the s400s with my fiio e6 definitely sound a bit better than they do without.

I have to say that for me, I found the opposite to be true. I much preferred the sound of the S400 straight out of Clip, as opposed to Clip+E6. At flat EQ, it sounded to me like the E6 made the bass a little bloated, and further diminished the treble (I didn't find these to be a very treble happy can to begin with). With HD202 however, the E6 made a noticeable improvement over just Clip, to my ears anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back