The JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review)
Mar 4, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #17 of 3,535
These being my first Woodie..Lol. I find the tonality exceptionally natural. There is nothing that sounds overly or under cooked. Even for it's large full sound..Timbre sharpens to a fine sheen after burn in of these. It is astounding what I am hearing from them. They sound like first class in ears once burn in nears completion. This sound on the go is too awesome for words.. It is one sound that lingers with you when your away from them as they have for me. I don't remember the last time that has happened with me.

There are going to be many fans of these earphones here at headfi. I am willing to bet on it.

Mar 4, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #18 of 3,535
The driver is really made out of wood? I thought they only had some wooden ring somewhere, this things getting more and interesting.

i hope it sounds good with acoustic jazz and jazz. Interested to see how it compares against dita truth edition, can the new king be dethroned?

I don't think the drivers are made out of wood there is an acoustic ring that is made out of wood in there. Maybe gives a similar effect of wood cups on drivers. Kinda like them grado phones with different wood cups.

Mar 4, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #19 of 3,535
:sob:....my one died a horrible death today from a schiity Chinese cable...i can't live without them :sob:...im going buy another ASAP:sob:

What? say it isn't so. Mochill. You gotta take care of your iems. Might be able to just replace the cable. I would contact Tyll as he knows a JVC rep that might be able to get you a replacement cable. Or try emailing JVC. You must have yanked on them pretty hard.. I don't see how these cables are going to fail on you with average use.

Mar 4, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #20 of 3,535
  Done so well that it will let you realize just how limiting other earphones in your collection is when it comes to proper dynamics in a large sounding earphone. A complete sounding phone that incorporates the best of JVC has to offer for the enthusiast..These are what I consider a masterpiece of engineering.. Simply enjoyable beyond belief... Get that image of a cheaper bass phones done wrong completely out of your head. Think TH600/TH900 in an earphone and you might have a good idea what I am talking about here.. An absolutely fantastic example of a single dynamic done right...

Great product deserves great review, really well done!  Thanks!
I'm a fan of TH900, but no budget for it 
tongue.gif
 so when you're saying TH900 in an earphone... that's really something!

I really hope someone would be able to describe the sonic difference between the FX650, FX750, and FX850.

Mar 4, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #21 of 3,535

Great product deserves great review, really well done!  Thanks!
I'm a fan of TH900, but no budget for it 
tongue.gif
 so when you're saying TH900 in an earphone... that's really something!

I really hope someone would be able to describe the sonic difference between the FX650, FX750, and FX850.

Oh believe me this will happen. I am a hair trigger away from doing it but I am gonna wait it out till the prices settle some. I know the price on the FX850 could be better too but I had to get them for my birthday. It was a gift to myself.

I believe it was a translated review of them but the FX650 are supposed to be treble and mids focused and the FX750 are the bass phones.. The FX850 incorporating the best that both offer and then a bit more using silver coated copper wire..

Out of the lower end models it is the FX650 that intrigues me more simply because we are talking about JVC here. I don't ever remember them having a bass light phone on anything. So these might be more neutral in presentation over the FX750 or the FX850.

Mar 4, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #22 of 3,535
It is the only one out of the new FX series that has the upgraded detachable silver coated OFC cables.. The cable itself is supple and also of very high quality. I noticed very minimum microphonics which many of you guys will appreciate. 

Could you please post a closer look of the new detachable cable connector? Is it MMCX connector used on the Shures ?
Thanks a lot!

Mar 4, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #23 of 3,535
Translate description from amazon japan.

~~■ The sound rich with ■ a sense of reality to absorb the deployment ■ unnecessary vibration and acoustic damper to reduce the broadband vibration loss of deployment ■ unit wood dome unit to realize the extent of natural sound and beautiful sound, a wood ring absorber the carrying case comes with a convenient to adopt ■ carries a detachable code using the provided ■ MMCX terminal spiral dot earpiece to achieve a sound adoption ■ clear Wood housing convey the sound of

Will take it apart here and report back. Don't want to pull a Mochill. Lol. I would be pissed if I messed these up. 

Actually here it is on this pic

Looks like it is.. Upgraded cable anyone?

Mar 4, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #24 of 3,535
OK, DS, I have no choice, going to BuySmartJapan now, resistance is futile...:beerchug:

Nice write up, along with the Discovery Thread Posts makes it irresistable!

The question, how does it compare to the Sony H3?

Mar 4, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #25 of 3,535
I don't think the drivers are made out of wood there is an acoustic ring that is made out of wood in there. Maybe gives a similar effect of wood cups on drivers. Kinda like them grado phones with different wood cups.

Recheck that info Dsnuts, buddy. The FX700 had wood dome diaphragm drivers. Not a wood ring. I'm almost positive the new woodies do too. As a matter of fact, JVC even made a couple of mini components stereos that had speaker cones/drivers made out of a flexible wood. Think they are the only company who has done this. Research before correcting me buddy....lol

Mar 4, 2014 at 11:06 PM Post #26 of 3,535
I enjoy the Sony H3s quite a bit and it is one of the best hybrid sounds that I know of and has a very nice 3D type sound. I looked at the FX850 as a side grade in SQ to the H3s when I first got them. But then I started to notice with each day more and more improvements to the sound of the FX850.

The sound tightened up and started to show a fine definition and tonality and that woodie timbre that took over.. The H3 is one of my favorites but never once was I thinking about the H3s sound when I would be at school or want to hear them first thing in the morning after I get up. Yet that was exactly how I was with the FX850..

I couldn't deny it. I loved the sound that was coming from the FX850 too much. It has taken over as my number 1 phone in my collection..In comparison to the H3. The FX850 has the more wider stage as wide as the H3s are it was immediately discernable on open listen. While initially I thought the depth was greater on the H3s. The FX850 is no joke in this category either..The H3 perhaps has the better perceivable detail levels in the highs and mids.. But has somewhat of a laid back quality to the sounds that is your Sony trademark sound. I am glad to be an owner of the H3. I think they are remarkable in their own right and is a fine example of what a hybrid should sound like..

The FX850s have even more of an immersive quality to the sound because everything is forward. The sound is bold and frontal and not as laid back. Vocals tickle your ear drums. Instruments dance in space.  Music is so enjoyable in so many levels that I forget to listen to microdetails and little nuances.Lol. The FX850 is much easier to drive and I have to volume match from the H3 to get the right volume levels. technically I think the H3s are superior but for sheer enjoyment the FX850 wins..I will do a more proper A/B with the H3 when I find the time to do so but for now. Call it a new toy syndrome but I can't get enough of these Woodie FX850s. Yes they are not cheap but as much as I enjoy this sound I think they are more than worth the price payed to own them.  The FX850 represent my best dynamic single driver sound I have ever heard.. The H3 represent the best hybrid sounds I have ever heard. Both are worthy of anyone's collection for certain.. But I would put these JVCs as being. "Special"  

Mar 4, 2014 at 11:08 PM Post #27 of 3,535
Recheck that info Dsnuts, buddy. The FX700 had wood dome diaphragm drivers. Not a wood ring. I'm almost positive the new woodies do too. As a matter of fact, JVC even made a couple of mini components stereos that had speaker cones/drivers made out of a flexible wood. Think they are the only company who has done this. Research before correcting me buddy....lol

Didn't know if that was possible I do know they put wood rings in there though. Wow woodie drivers.. Explains why they sound so natural.

Mar 4, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #28 of 3,535
Wait! The photo and description you just posted states wood ring and "wood dome" (two separate things). Main part of the driver? The Fx700 described it as wood dome diaphragm driver.

Mar 4, 2014 at 11:16 PM Post #29 of 3,535
It looks like they are using both. It looks like they have done some serious RnD in these things. Who would have thought wood on wood would sound so good. Lol

This is an older FX1000 phone with wood diaphragms  So I stand corrected. 

Mar 4, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #30 of 3,535
It looks like they are using both. It looks like they have done some serious RnD in these things. Who would have thought wood on wood would sound so good. Lol

This is an older FX1000 phone with wood diaphragms  So I stand corrected. 

Yes sir! Happy listening! It's a wood world! lol :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back