The new IEM of Vsonic VSD 3S ( impression updated by smailbz)
May 14, 2016 at 5:16 PM Post #4,831 of 4,956
Lost my beloved and beautiful red transparent VSD3S during a camping trip. That was a real bummer. I hoped they would resurface after unpacking, but no luck. I immediately reordered the new VSD3S with LMUE. As they seem to be an upgrade over the already very good older version, I'm in for a treat. I hope I can do some comparisons. Unfortunately that will have to be done from memory.

May 14, 2016 at 9:49 PM Post #4,833 of 4,956

Headphones are great bang for buck (at least the right one), but I wouldn't say to consider something like the HE350 because I'm pretty doubtful that it has the bass quantity that he wants. Quality will probably be fantastic, but it may lack the quantity he's looking for. Also, potentially asking for an IEM recommendation to avoid using headphones in public. I personally don't like walking around with headphones so I have IEMs for portable use, perhaps they're the same way.

Also, I've had plenty of time with the Trinity Audio Hyperion so my guess is that the update iteration, the Trinity Audio Vyrus, would also be a contender. It would be less of a jump in sound quality than things like the CKR9 and Delta V2, but it does also cost less than either of those and it certainly isn't any worse than the VSD3S.

** It might seem like I'm really repping and fanboying over the Trinity Audio products, but they're the ones I've got in my possession with the most playtime in the past year that's within this price bracket. There are plenty of also-good choices out there in this price range, especially with new Chinese-made entries, but I just haven't gotten headtime with any of them.

Good points you raised about the headphones, especially with the portable use. I'm pretty sure there are some headphones around <$150 with basshead low-end, but I don't have enough experience to list too many off the top of my head.
I'll agree with you though, walking around with headphones, imo, is pretty annoying. I'd rather be carrying a bottle or a sweater than a folded up M50x or something in my bag. Some people like doing that though, so it really boils down to the questioner's preferences.
Also will agree that the HE350 is not likely to be basshead material, perhaps just got a little too excited when I thought, "Headphones, open, under $150 omg omg the new HE350?"
Yeah, I think I'm a bit too excited over a $99 headphone. Wrong priorities maybe?
Btw, I've heard Trinity Audio being thrown around for many many months now (hopefully not all just from your posts heh) so if I see any around, I might just give it a shot. Think there's at least one retailer in Singapore that carries it, that should be interesting.

May 15, 2016 at 1:14 AM Post #4,834 of 4,956

Hope I've helped, even if just a little. Let us know if I've only confused you and I'll explain the best I can.

Helped "a little"? Oh man, the suggestions from you and other members are immensely helpful! Thank you so much!

The IEM I'm using is the old version VSD3S. I know VSD3 is supposed to have more bass. I was trying to buy a VSD3 two years ago, but accidentally bought a VSD3S instead. It turns out that VSD3S is very good too (and perhaps more popular than VSD3), but I still wish it had more bass.

I have read some reviews about the new VSD3S. It seems that the new version is indeed an upgrade over the old one. However, I'm worried that the differences might to be too subtle to justify an upgrade. (I'm at the awkward stage where my VSD3S is having connection problems occasionally but remains functional most of the time.) I wish VSONIC had made a new version for the VSD3 as well.

I'm fine with both IEM and headphone because I will be using them at home only. However, the IEM/headphone must be a closed one because I live at a relatively noisy place and need some level of noise isolation.

I will do some research on the IEM/headphones mentioned by you all. Hopefully there will be some place for me to try them out. I have looked at some threads on Head-Fi that discuss headphones for bassheads. However, since the description of sound is so abstract, it's hard for me to tell whether a headphone is better than VSD3S when no direct comparison is drawn. VSD3S is too good. I have tried a couple of random brand-name headphones below $150 and I don't feel that they are noticeably better than VSD3S.

Thanks again for your great advice!

May 15, 2016 at 4:13 AM Post #4,835 of 4,956
 I've heard Trinity Audio being thrown around for many many months now (hopefully not all just from your posts heh) so if I see any around, I might just give it a shot. Think there's at least one retailer in Singapore that carries it, that should be interesting.

Somehow I doubt that anyone in Singapore is carrying legit Trinity Audio products.  BTW I agree with MidgetGuy although my Trinity's are the Techne's.  Great stuff.
Here's the Trinity Audio site:  https://trinityaudioengineering.com/

May 15, 2016 at 7:48 AM Post #4,836 of 4,956
  Somehow I doubt that anyone in Singapore is carrying legit Trinity Audio products.  BTW I agree with MidgetGuy although my Trinity's are the Techne's.  Great stuff.
Here's the Trinity Audio site:  https://trinityaudioengineering.com/

Yup, you're right. No dice, just a lot of churches and Christian services on Google...
I'll put getting one on the backburner for now then. Maybe if I'm looking for something new, then I'll scour the forums for opinions. But thanks anyway!
For now though, the VSD3S is very easy for me to get and it's only SGD $68-ish... Hmm...

May 15, 2016 at 8:03 AM Post #4,837 of 4,956

Helped "a little"? Oh man, the suggestions from you and other members are immensely helpful! Thank you so much!

The IEM I'm using is the old version VSD3S. I know VSD3 is supposed to have more bass. I was trying to buy a VSD3 two years ago, but accidentally bought a VSD3S instead. It turns out that VSD3S is very good too (and perhaps more popular than VSD3), but I still wish it had more bass.

I have read some reviews about the new VSD3S. It seems that the new version is indeed an upgrade over the old one. However, I'm worried that the differences might to be too subtle to justify an upgrade. (I'm at the awkward stage where my VSD3S is having connection problems occasionally but remains functional most of the time.) I wish VSONIC had made a new version for the VSD3 as well.

I'm fine with both IEM and headphone because I will be using them at home only. However, the IEM/headphone must be a closed one because I live at a relatively noisy place and need some level of noise isolation.

I will do some research on the IEM/headphones mentioned by you all. Hopefully there will be some place for me to try them out. I have looked at some threads on Head-Fi that discuss headphones for bassheads. However, since the description of sound is so abstract, it's hard for me to tell whether a headphone is better than VSD3S when no direct comparison is drawn. VSD3S is too good. I have tried a couple of random brand-name headphones below $150 and I don't feel that they are noticeably better than VSD3S.

Thanks again for your great advice!

No problem, this forum is meant to help. Glad to know you weren't lost with our haphazard strings of advice. :)
Imo, after having demoed both the old and new VSD3S side by side, I think the improvements are totally worth the money. The bass is significantly improved in quantity and quality and sound stage is more precise, less diffused. That said, it's not an entire world's worth of improvement, just some nice touches to the product to turn it from "alright" to "great".
The problem with comparing (insert brand here) with the VSD3S is that the new VSD3S is really really good for its price, not that the other brands are crap at theirs. With the VSD3S in particular, they've got a real winner now that's probably the best earphone I've heard under US $60 for now.
Also, your problem with not being able to tell what sounds like what online isn't something that will ever really go away. Everyone has different tastes, sensitivities, ear and head shapes, etc so these things are extremely difficult to accurately describe for everyone. For example, the M50x is very very popular, but many hate its metallic treble. Experiences are never uniform, especially with such a subjective area like audio.
I think the best final advice I can give you is to go look up the stuff we have recommended and see what you can gather from it. Demo what you can and don't be afraid to admit that you're not totally convinced by what you read. If you're finding it difficult to comprehend sound just by text alone, perhaps narrow it down to the brands that are more accessible like Audio Technica, Sony, Beyerdynamic and Sennheiser. That done, go to a local retailer and have a good demo. That's the best way to make a very informed decision.
Give us a shout if you need any more opinions. Have fun finding something new to use!

May 15, 2016 at 7:37 PM Post #4,838 of 4,956
Any suggestion for an upgrade from VSD3S?

I have been using VSD3S for around 2 years and quite satisfied with its sound. I would like to look for an IEM or headphone that:
1. costs less than USD150,
2. sounds better than VSD3S in general (or at least not worse than VSD3S), and
3. offers significantly more bass (in terms of both depth and quantity) than VSD3S .

Thanks, everyone!

I personally own the Future Sonics Atrio with MG7 Transducers, that's an earphone that has a killer thick, tight yet super punchy bass, sparkly energy in the highs and much less sibilance than the VSD3. Not always available for $150 though, depending on color and seller. That said, it has a very similar sound signature to the VSD3, just better and costing $100-ish more.
Note though, that I think the Atrio MG7 is discontinued. If memory serves me right, it's available on Amazon and eBay, but I don't think it'll be at physical retail, for example.
Another option that's much more budget friendly yet ticks all 3 of your stipulations would be the new, updated VSD3S. Same price as the older VSD3 (which I'd imagine is the version you have), thicker bass, more natural sound staging and imaging, better build and upgraded cable. Cable is not detachable though, but I think the better build alone makes it a worthy purchase. If you liked your older VSD3S and want something similar with better bass, I think the VSD3S Version 2 will be your winner IEM if you want to be on a budget.
Comparing the new VSD3S to my Atrio MG7, the MG7 has more detail in the bass, less sibilance, lusher mids and comparatively more refined highs. However, the new VSD3S is hard to beat in terms of value for money in an earphone.
My opinion aside, the mentioned Audio Technica CKR9 and Trinity Audio Delta V2 are probably worth your consideration. Haven't had a meaningful demo with either of those earphones, but they're most likely popular around here for a reason.
Final note: Sorry if this may confuse you after all that I've said, but if you're looking for the absolute best audio for your dollar, headphones are most likely going to serve you much better. There will be obvious exceptions to the rule, but generally headphones would beat IEMs in longevity, control of splashy-ness and sibilance, sound stage and imaging, etc. For example, consider the  Hifiman Massdrop HE350 when more reviews come out. At $99 on Massdrop, they may just be a contender for one of the best values in open headphones, but we of course have to wait and see.
Hope I've helped, even if just a little. Let us know if I've only confused you and I'll explain the best I can.

I think i good choice if your looking for MORE bass then vsd3s

Is the nuforce ne800m it has a smoother treble and more thicker mids too.

And it has a remote and mic.

I wouldnt say the new vsd3s is actually bassier.

I feel its actually LESS bassier. More closer to my gr07be

May 15, 2016 at 7:44 PM Post #4,839 of 4,956
Soundtown,

Just to mix things up a bit more, you might want to take a look at the Easy UEs Custom aka Ownluze A1 on AliExpress.   Lots written about it in the Chinese IEM thread among others.  I have it as well as the older VSD3S with upgraded attached cable.  My nod goes to the UEs
biggrin.gif
  for all those things you say you're looking for.

May 19, 2016 at 4:14 PM Post #4,840 of 4,956
I lost my beloved VSD3S during a camping trip two weeks ago. Back at home I immediately ordered the new VSD3S with LMUE. Today they already arrived. It took them less than two weeks to get here. Very nice.

Just like the older version, to my ears, they do not need a lot of burn-in. Ootb there isn't anything awkward signature wise. They're quite balanced. Bass seems to be reigned in slightly with better control. Also the tendency to have peaks in the treble seems to be resolved too. I have the impression (all from memory) that timbres are more natural and effortless. Above all I like the musicality of these iems. They make you listen to the music and let you forget you're wearing iems. Quite a feat at this price. I'm very glad I reordered the VSD3S again.

I've been buying lots of cheapish Chinese iems lately. I jumped from one hype train on the next one. I must say I'm glad there's Vsonic (VSD3S and GR07) to keep me sane.

May 19, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #4,841 of 4,956
  I lost my beloved VSD3S during a camping trip two weeks ago. Back at home I immediately ordered the new VSD3S with LMUE. Today they already arrived. It took them less than two weeks to get here. Very nice.

Just like the older version, to my ears, they do not need a lot of burn-in. Ootb there isn't anything awkward signature wise. They're quite balanced. Bass seems to be reigned in slightly with better control. Also the tendency to have peaks in the treble seems to be resolved too. I have the impression (all from memory) that timbres are more natural and effortless. Above all I like the musicality of these iems. They make you listen to the music and let you forget you're wearing iems. Quite a feat at this price. I'm very glad I reordered the VSD3S again.

I've been buying lots of cheapish Chinese iems lately. I jumped from one hype train on the next one. I must say I'm glad there's Vsonic (VSD3S and GR07) to keep me sane.

It's a great IEM on a budget. I had one from the first batch and had to return due to cable issues. I'd probably have a set today if the shell fit well in my ears. Cuz they fixed the cabling issues, but the shell didn't change and that was another reason why it didn't gel with me. Sounded great for the asking price though.

May 19, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #4,842 of 4,956
Is it possible that vsonic separated the ground into left and right? The four wires in the vsd3 cord are L+, R+, L-, and R-? Also, there are blue dots next to one of the two solder joints on each driver. How do i figure out which solder joint is ground and which is l/r +? There's a dark silver clear, silver clear, white, and light blue wire in the cable itself.

May 22, 2016 at 5:13 AM Post #4,843 of 4,956
I have had the VSD3S for a few months now. I previously had the VSD1S. I am very pleased, especially considering the price. I previously had the GR07's, which were very good, but lacking bass - I can see why they made the bass enhanced version. The sound is fairly balanced and there is no harshness or flaws in the signature. Only issue I have is none of the tips fit in my ears properly, I must have large ear canals because I have often had this problem with VSonic products.

May 22, 2016 at 5:21 AM Post #4,844 of 4,956
I have had the VSD3S for a few months now. I previously had the VSD1S. I am very pleased, especially considering the price. I previously had the GR07's, which were very good, but lacking bass - I can see why they made the bass enhanced version. The sound is fairly balanced and there is no harshness or flaws in the signature. Only issue I have is none of the tips fit in my ears properly, I must have large ear canals because I have often had this problem with VSonic products.

I have (large) jvc spiral dots on mine. They come in a variety of sizes. I notice increased bass and soundstage with them . Highly recommend them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back