The new IEM of Vsonic VSD 3S ( impression updated by smailbz)
May 22, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #4,846 of 4,956
I lost my beloved VSD3S during a camping trip two weeks ago. Back at home I immediately ordered the new VSD3S with LMUE. Today they already arrived. It took them less than two weeks to get here. Very nice.

Just like the older version, to my ears, they do not need a lot of burn-in. Ootb there isn't anything awkward signature wise. They're quite balanced. Bass seems to be reigned in slightly with better control. Also the tendency to have peaks in the treble seems to be resolved too. I have the impression (all from memory) that timbres are more natural and effortless. Above all I like the musicality of these iems. They make you listen to the music and let you forget you're wearing iems. Quite a feat at this price. I'm very glad I reordered the VSD3S again.

I've been buying lots of cheapish Chinese iems lately. I jumped from one hype train on the next one. I must say I'm glad there's Vsonic (VSD3S and GR07) to keep me sane.

Nice i felt the same for bass, it does seem less bloated and by default a bit tighter compared to its predecessor.

The treble however, i think as a result is a bit MORE siblant as a result of the slightly more reined in bass.

It does sound a bit more open and less congested though.

The cable appears to retain a bit more memory then the older vsd3s, a bit stiffer.

However i dont need to use the earguides on the new vsd3s though, it flops over the ears a lot less frequently.

May 22, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #4,847 of 4,956
Nice i felt the same for bass, it does seem less bloated and by default a bit tighter compared to its predecessor.

The treble however, i think as a result is a bit MORE siblant as a result of the slightly more reined in bass.

It does sound a bit more open and less congested though.

The cable appears to retain a bit more memory then the older vsd3s, a bit stiffer.

However i dont need to use the earguides on the new vsd3s though, it flops over the ears a lot less frequently.

Everybody is complaining about the sibilant nature of Vsonic products but I must say, although I always thought I was a treble sensitive, I've never had any issues with them. I'm probably lucky as Vsonic's sound signature seems to fit me as a glove. The new VSD3S to my ears seems even a little more refined, even smoother, in the treble area than the older version. I must add I can no longer compare the two versions so this is from memory. I can also be proven wrong when I spend more time with them.

May 22, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #4,848 of 4,956
Everybody is complaining about the sibilant nature of Vsonic products but I must say, although I always thought I was a treble sensitive, I've never had any issues with them. I'm probably lucky as Vsonic's sound signature seems to fit me as a glove. The new VSD3S to my ears seems even a little more refined, even smoother, in the treble area than the older version. I must add I can no longer compare the two versions so this is from memory. I can also be proven wrong when I spend more time with them.

I'm a newcomer to vsonic but now own the vsd1s and vsd3s. I love them . Think there was a bit of sibilance untill I added the spiral dots. Sometimes I prefer them to my Havis. Cant wait for the upgraded vsd5s to become readily available :wink:

May 22, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #4,852 of 4,956
I always get my stuff via ebay. I'll have a look tho. Cheers

Penon Audio = Bigbargainonline on eBay. Highly recommended seller by many in here, myself included.

May 22, 2016 at 6:43 PM Post #4,854 of 4,956
Ah i see penon mentioned all the time. Didn't realise they were bigbargainonline, yes I've bought from them loads :blush:

Indeed, I found that out too after buying a GR06 off eBay a long while back from them. Did VSonic have an older version of the VSD5S? I didn't follow the VSD5 series very closely. I only knew of a new version of the VSD3S, so I assumed the VSD5S on Penon Audio was new. You might need to do a little more digging then in that case.

May 26, 2016 at 1:13 AM Post #4,855 of 4,956
OK, I have jumped on the Trinity hype train and bought a Trinity Delta V2.

Thank everyone for the advice and thank Midgetguy for telling me about the discount code.

I just received the Delta V2 two hours ago and did some very basic comparison with VSD3S. I'm really a newbie in the audiophile world so please forgive my poor grasp of technical terms.

Sound Quality

With default gun metal filter:

Bass: Bass is noticeably more punchy and has a larger quantity
Mids: Mids seems to sound slightly less "forward", but more "left and right"
Treble: Seems to be less clear/smooth than VSD3S (not too sure)
Soundstage: Instruments are more separated (i.e. in more well-defined layers). It may be related to what I have said for the mids - things sound less forward, but more left and right.
Details: Able to show some more details (e.g. some very light strings at the background) than VSD3S

With silver (damped) filter:

Bass: Overwhelming bass. I would have loved this if I tried this 2 years ago. However, after listening to VSD3S for 2 years, I actually find this too much.
Mids: Very recessed compared to gun metal filter or VSD3S

Interestingly, when I first bought the VSD3S, I didn't find its sound as amazing as people on the Internet claimed to be. (I didn't test it before the purchase). But after 2 years of use, I now like the sound of VSD3S a lot, except for the slightly small bass quantity. Perhaps I just need more time to burn-in the Delta V2 and my ears.

Comfort

Again, when I just bought the VSD3S, I found it quite uncomfortable. It was my first time using an over-the-ear IEM. Yet, after 2 years, I now find VSD3S very comfortable, much more so than the Delta V2. VSD3S can sit securely and naturally in the ear pinna. For Delta V2, if I wear it with cables pointing directly downwards, the sound is easily affected by any movement of the cable. If I wear it using the over-the-ear style, the cables point to a rather odd direction. Besides, you have to manually adjust the cable direction every time you wear it. (Since VSD3S is designed only for over-the-ear wearing, its cables always point towards the correct the direction for over-the-ear wearing). 

The long length of the metal shell also seems to be dragging the IEM downwards, causing a little bit discomfort.

Again I may need some time to get used to Delta V2.

Build Quality

The metal shell of the Delta V2 is nice, but I wouldn't necessarily say that a metal shell is always stronger than a plastic shell. The connector between the shell and the cable does not give a clicking sound when connected. It simply becomes tighter. I don't know which design is more durable, the Delta V2 or the old VSD3S, but I guess we can all agree that VSD3S didn't really do well in terms of build quality. Only time will tell if Delta V2 is indeed better.

Accessories

Delta V2 wins by a landslide with its numerous filters, ear tips, mic-equiped cable, mic-clip, L-shaped connector, hard case, etc

Value

Delta V2 is supposed to be much better than VSD3S, but I can't really feel this the moment. I can tell that Delta V2 and VSD3S sound different, but I don't know which one is better. I think I need more time to explore the Delta V2 (just like what I did with the VSD3S). But in any event, I don't think sound quality alone can justify the Delta V2 being almost 3 times more expensive than the VSD3S. I guess a large part of the price is devoted to accessories, free international shipping, labour cost (I assume it's much higher than that in China) and possibly better build quality. 

Jun 4, 2016 at 7:42 PM Post #4,856 of 4,956
  Is it possible that vsonic separated the ground into left and right? The four wires in the vsd3 cord are L+, R+, L-, and R-? Also, there are blue dots next to one of the two solder joints on each driver. How do i figure out which solder joint is ground and which is l/r +? There's a dark silver clear, silver clear, white, and light blue wire in the cable itself.

Blue dot is +
Actually one wire and shielding is not soldered anywhere, yet other 3 conductors are used.

Jun 22, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #4,857 of 4,956
Right and I have them and they are labeled at the "S" designated on the casing which I have. So to me that is the latest version far as I know that I found. Correct me if I am wrong but how are you supposed to know which you have if you have the 2016 VSD3S version?

This is what I was informed is the latest. http://www.lendmeurears.com/new-vsd3s/

The "S" on the housing means latest. The other ones that is red and blue are the same thing. So when people are saying the "new version" there is none.

Well,the letter "S" stamped on the right ear-piece denotes a VSD3S model and no "S" is a VSD3 model......this goes to VSD2 series as well.Im not sure whether the new VSD5S has the letter "S" stamped like this new VSD3S tho.

Jul 5, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #4,858 of 4,956
Guys, I'm thinking of buying VSD3S to replace my GR07BE in the gym. Is there anything better for the money with over the ear cables? Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back