The new IEM of Vsonic VSD 3S ( impression updated by smailbz)
Mar 14, 2016 at 8:14 PM Post #4,786 of 4,956
I totally agree with you here (although I've got the old version)
Sibilant to you for sure but no for me.
This is for the original version as is all the other reviews you've linked to. He's asking for impressions of the new version.

VDS3S is the new version of the VDS3. What version are we talking about? The Vsonic VSD5?

Mar 14, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #4,788 of 4,956
  http://www.lendmeurears.com/new-vsd3s/

That is what I initially thought. The reviews I posted all are about the VDS3S. 

http://theheadphonelist.com/brief-impressions-vsonic-vsd3s-ostry-kc06-havi-b3-pro/

Review for Example: 

VSonic VSD3S ($45)

The VSD3S fits right in between the VSD1S and the pricier GR07 Classic in VSonic’s lineup, and the KC06 likewise sounds better than the VSD1S but doesn’t quite stack up to the GR07. The most obvious difference between the slightly v-shaped VSD3S and the KC06 is the midrange presentation – there, the KC06 sounds stronger and clearer thanks to its more forward midrange and brighter overall sound. The KC06 has more of a mid-bass hump and some deep bass roll-off, whereas the VSD3S has a better bass depth and feels more solid and natural at the low end. Tonally, the VSD3S is a little warmer. Interestingly, while the KC06 is brighter and a little more sparkly, it is still less sibilance-prone than the VSD3S

How are you not seeing the first review I posted? This is a great review not only for the VDS3S itself but how it stacks up among others in the price range.

Link two: http://www.head-fi.org/products/vsonic-vsd3s-black-high-fidelity-professional-quality-stereo-inner-ear-earphones

Is right off Head-Fi. VSONIC VSD3S Black High Fidelity Professional Quality Stereo Inner-Ear Earphones.

The VS3S is a VSONIC’s latest earphone, and they have made a big claim. That is that these VS3S as well as their brother VSD3(at the current price of $45-50) were tuned with the Westone 4R in mind ($499 earphone with 4 Balanced Armatures). Now I, myself have not tried the Westone 4R, but I can say that VSONIC proved yet again, that you can get great sound at an affordable price (as they have achieved time and time again with their GR07, VSD1/1S, Gr06 and many more).

Accessories:
This is where I think Vsonic had disappointed me a bit. They come with:
1 soft carrying pouch (very smooth to touch)
3 sets of single flange eartips
1 set of double flange
1 set of foam
Its good but in comparison the HAVI B3 Pro 1 (about $60) came with BOTH a pouch and a hard carrying case and more eartips and sizes.
Overall 7/10

Design
I absolutely love the look of these earphones! They have a diamond like cuts through the housing, which gives it a sense of elegance. Its transparent, and you can see the internal wiring and structure. Mine pair of the VSD3s,  in particular are multicoloured, the left earpiece is blue, the right earpiece is red, which I think makes them very unique I love the colours used. (VSONIC also have a number of fun colours coming as well, all transparent red, light blue, purple, or the traditional black)
Note the only separating the VSD3 and the VS3S physically is that the latter has the letter “s” labeled on the right earpiece.
Overall: 10/10 (totally subjective but I love it)

Build Quality
The earpieces are made up of entirely plastic, but it does feel fairly solid in the hand I can see them lasting me for quite a while.
However the biggest selling point is the fact that they come with detachable cables (which is unheard of at this price, the cheapest I can think of is the Shure se215 at $99). The detachable cable is a fantastic value allowing you easily swap out the cables should something go wrong, protecting your investment over the long haul. The cables however are a proprietory MMCX connector and its the first of its kind, so aftermarket cables are not available yet. As of right now, we will have to wait for VSONIC to sell these cables individually.
The cable itself is has good thickness to it, and has a nice quality to it (reminiscent of my VSONIC GR07BE). I would say that the biggest downside to the cable is the lack of strain reliefs in a few key areas, namely at the y shaped connector and at the jack, which is a bit concerning for its long term durability, luckily it is replaceable.
Overall: 6.5/10 (the cable is what dropped the score here, otherwise its really good)

Comfort/ Isolation

The earpieces are ergonomic but quite big , so if you have smaller outer ears, I can see the VS3S not being a comfortable experience. That said for me there are about above average, my outer ears do feel a bit of fatigue after about 2 hours.
Overall: 8/10

In terms of isolation, its excellent! Its  a fully sealed design and it has becoming my daily commuting friend, cutting through the subway chatter and the rumbling bus wheels very well.
Overall: 9/10

Sound Quality:
They are very warm and smooth with some weight in the bass, with a crisp treble to balance out the other end.

Bass: The bass is the emphasized (particularly in the midbass) with plenty of weight and punch. It’s a bit on the slower end, making it very smooth and meaty. Giving it a full bodied, thicker sound. The bass here is well extended but is a bit on the boomier side, while not loose, I wouldn’t say it’s tight either. In faster basslines, things get a little just little uncontrolled. Its not sloppy and nothing glaring for the most part however. However, this leads me think that this earphone is bit better suited for more mellow, soulful music, but also plays top 40 songs very well.

Mids: The mids here are a bit forward, just a bit, despite the bass and treble prominence. Its not left forgotten and is very well intergrated. Its very natural  especially towards both male and female vocals (retaining their character, tonality) and relatively clear, but because of the warmth and bass weight, its clarity does take a hit.

Treble: The lower treble is crisp particularly emphasized to make give some spice and excitement into otherwise a warm, and probably dull sound. The texture on the treble is very interesting, and I like it. I describe it similar to a whip, its quick, has a short impact and disappears without a trace or any prolonged ringing. This treble here, makes the VS3S more of an all-around for different types of music.  I would say there is a mild case of sibilance, which seems to be the “VSONIC house sound”.

Soundstage:  Its wider than average but not by much. However, at times with faster music, along with the bass, the soundstage feels more “stuck in the head”. The separation is just okay.

Overall: 8/10 (for the price I think it’s a no brainer, there’s very small nitpicks to an overall very enjoyable experience).

In conclusion, VSONIC has hit it out the park again with the VSD3S. The lack of strain relief on the cable is concerning but with a beautiful design, great isolation and detachable cables, and great sound makes the VSD3S an outstanding performer in its price range.  I highly recommend this earphone for basically everyone except those with the most eclectic tastes. 

Mar 14, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #4,789 of 4,956
but fam there's a newer model for the vsd3s that just came out this year (2016)

these are directly off the vsonic website 

notice the different connector

http://www.vsonic.com.cn/uploads/detail-newvsd3s-rb-19.jpg

notice the different L jack

http://www.vsonic.com.cn/uploads/detail-newvsd3s-rb-10.jpg

i dont blame ya tho cuz there's like literally 0 reviews on this new model out there right now so I can see how it might have confused you

Mar 14, 2016 at 9:17 PM Post #4,790 of 4,956
VDS3S is the new version of the VDS3. What version are we talking about? The Vsonic VSD5?

VSD3 & VSD3S are named differently not to mark new versions, but to mark different sonic signatures. The VSD3S version tends to be more balanced where the VSD3 is a little more V shaped. When peoplw are asking about reviews of the new version, VSonic redid them recently. I keep forgetting to check if both versions were redone, or just one.

Mar 14, 2016 at 11:07 PM Post #4,791 of 4,956
  but fam there's a newer model for the vsd3s that just came out this year (2016)

these are directly off the vsonic website 

notice the different connector

http://www.vsonic.com.cn/uploads/detail-newvsd3s-rb-19.jpg

notice the different L jack

http://www.vsonic.com.cn/uploads/detail-newvsd3s-rb-10.jpg

i dont blame ya tho cuz there's like literally 0 reviews on this new model out there right now so I can see how it might have confused you

Ok.

Mar 15, 2016 at 4:18 AM Post #4,792 of 4,956
ok, to confirm I have the new version.

i dunno if its synergy with the Xduoo or the music i'm listening to but i think they sound great. I agree the Havi's are better but they can sometimes come across as a bit 'polite', the Vsonic's have a bit more bite or attack whilst still retaining decent clarity and soundstage.

they look great, nice solid cable and they are comfortable, I wear mine down btw. had to do a bit of tip rolling though, I've settled with some old ones I got with some RockJaw IEMs a few years ago, although the Spiral Dots are pretty good aswell.

Mar 15, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #4,793 of 4,956
  ok, to confirm I have the new version.

i dunno if its synergy with the Xduoo or the music i'm listening to but i think they sound great. I agree the Havi's are better but they can sometimes come across as a bit 'polite', the Vsonic's have a bit more bite or attack whilst still retaining decent clarity and soundstage.

they look great, nice solid cable and they are comfortable, I wear mine down btw. had to do a bit of tip rolling though, I've settled with some old ones I got with some RockJaw IEMs a few years ago, although the Spiral Dots are pretty good aswell.

Mine look the same way and have the "S" on them. Far as I know that is the latest version and I agree they have more attack. 

Mar 15, 2016 at 5:25 PM Post #4,794 of 4,956
Mine look the same way and have the "S" on them. Far as I know that is the latest version and I agree they have more attack. 

The vsd3 and vsd3s were released simultaneously a couple of years ago and at least the vsd3s were recently updated (I'm not sure about the vsd3). This cannot possibly be that hard to understand.......

Mar 15, 2016 at 6:43 PM Post #4,795 of 4,956
The vsd3 and vsd3s were released simultaneously a couple of years ago and at least the vsd3s were recently updated (I'm not sure about the vsd3). This cannot possibly be that hard to understand.......

Guess that was the confusion. The last thing I remember reading was the "S" was the latest and last actual change soundwise. Nothing is new that I am aware of except the connection type and housing colors. In regards to sound or drivers nothing I know of has changed. Maybe that is why there is no reviews as nothing has really changed except aesthetics? All I find is this:

1. The new VSD3S uses a 90 degree right angled jack while the older VSD3S uses a straight plug. 2. The new VSD3S is more forward sounding and has a better soundstage then the older VSD3S.

Well then I have the latest version and I still stand by my initial impression.

Mar 15, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #4,796 of 4,956
Guess that was the confusion. The last thing I remember reading was the "S" was the latest and last actual change soundwise. Nothing is new that I am aware of except the connection type and housing colors. In regards to sound or drivers nothing I know of has changed. Maybe that is why there is no reviews as nothing has really changed except aesthetics? Has anyone even contacted Vsonic that there was actually a change other than connections and colors before assuming there really was a change?

I think vsonic have claimed a slightly different / improved sq with the 2016 model.

Mar 15, 2016 at 6:54 PM Post #4,797 of 4,956
I think vsonic have claimed a slightly different / improved sq with the 2016 model.

Right and I have them and they are labeled at the "S" designated on the casing which I have. So to me that is the latest version far as I know that I found. Correct me if I am wrong but how are you supposed to know which you have if you have the 2016 VSD3S version?

This is what I was informed is the latest. http://www.lendmeurears.com/new-vsd3s/

The "S" on the housing means latest. The other ones that is red and blue are the same thing. So when people are saying the "new version" there is none.

Mar 15, 2016 at 7:05 PM Post #4,798 of 4,956
Right and I have them and they are labeled at the "S" designated on the casing which I have. So to me that is the latest version far as I know that I found. Correct me if I am wrong but how are you supposed to know which you have if you have the 2016 VSD3S version?

This is what I was informed is the latest. http://www.lendmeurears.com/new-vsd3s/

The "S" on the housing means latest. The other ones that is red and blue are the same thing. So when people are saying the "new version" there is none.

Fair enough. I think if you have same as mine , L shaped plug etc then you have latest.

Mar 15, 2016 at 7:07 PM Post #4,799 of 4,956
Fair enough. I think if you have same as mine , L shaped plug etc then you have latest.

bigsmile_face.gif
 Seems so. How are they for vocals for you? They are hit and miss for me. 

Mar 15, 2016 at 8:48 PM Post #4,800 of 4,956
Quote:

Let's clear confusion here shall we @peter123? Lemme know if I get something wrong.

A couple years ago, VSonic released these two IEMs, the VSD3 and the VSD3S. They are different models with different sound signatures and both coexist.
Ever since their release, people have talked at length about the differences in sound signature, but also that the build quality was not very good. Over the course of the past couple of years, VSonic has been working on that as well as on the tuning of specifically the VSD3S. This year, 2016, VSonic has released their revised iteration of the VSD3S (you can also consider this the same as calling it the VSD3S gen-2). VSonic claims to have retuned the driver and it's easily differentiated by the new right-angle jack. There is no new version of the VSD3, which altogether has a different sound signature than the VSD3S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back