The new IEM of Vsonic VSD 3S ( impression updated by smailbz)
Feb 18, 2015 at 1:38 AM Post #4,246 of 4,956

Thanks for the feedback. If the cables can stand a chair, than I think they'll be fine with me.

And yeah, I was reading his post and thinking the detachable might not be such a good idea, but am also kinda hoping someone will come along and say these are rare incidents ._. But I guess the non-detachable would be the safest choice.

Also, does the upgrade/replacement silver cables have better connectors or are they just the same?

I hear it has to do with the connection points. Which makes sense to me as it seemed like that's where my set had been going wrong. For the brief time I had it, the cable quality seemed good. So it seems the connection issues won't happen if you have the non removable cable version. Besides, I always found it stupid that it was a proprietary connector. What's the point of removable if it's gonna be difficult to get a replacement? You can only get a compatible cable from a custom shop, but there are dozens of choices if it was a standard MMCX connector. Maybe they might not have had so many problems either, though it could also just have been due to their inexperience with this particular type of removable cable.

Feb 18, 2015 at 7:24 AM Post #4,247 of 4,956

I hear it has to do with the connection points. Which makes sense to me as it seemed like that's where my set had been going wrong. For the brief time I had it, the cable quality seemed good. So it seems the connection issues won't happen if you have the non removable cable version. Besides, I always found it stupid that it was a proprietary connector. What's the point of removable if it's gonna be difficult to get a replacement? You can only get a compatible cable from a custom shop, but there are dozens of choices if it was a standard MMCX connector. Maybe they might not have had so many problems either, though it could also just have been due to their inexperience with this particular type of removable cable.

Thanks a lot for letting me know. I think I'm completely comfortable to go grab the non-detachable pair first thing tomorrow morning now :D 
Thanks a lot @4ren and @Midgetguy :D :D

Feb 18, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #4,248 of 4,956

Thanks for the feedback. If the cables can stand a chair, than I think they'll be fine with me.

And yeah, I was reading his post and thinking the detachable might not be such a good idea, but am also kinda hoping someone will come along and say these are rare incidents ._. But I guess the non-detachable would be the safest choice.

Also, does the upgrade/replacement silver cables have better connectors or are they just the same?

@4ren mine are non-detachables which I received just yesterday. The sound is occasionally breaking up due to a faulty jack. I've given them a mail yesterday and they promptly offered to send a replacement. But the sound quality is worth all these hassles I guess.
L3000.gif
 I literally couldn't stop listening to them yesterday, when they were working properly. I hope someone from VSonic gets the feedback on the cables and starts making stuff that lasts atleast a couple of years without any issues. Then they can truly call themselves "Giant Killers" without a doubt.

Feb 18, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #4,249 of 4,956
  @4ren mine are non-detachables which I received just yesterday. The sound is occasionally breaking up due to a faulty jack. I've given them a mail yesterday and they promptly offered to send a replacement. But the sound quality is worth all these hassles I guess.
L3000.gif
 I literally couldn't stop listening to them yesterday, when they were working properly. I hope someone from VSonic gets the feedback on the cables and starts making stuff that lasts atleast a couple of years without any issues. Then they can truly call themselves "Giant Killers" without a doubt.

Aww, your jack had issues? That sucks. But yes, certainly for this price, it's quite a good performer. Definitely a very large blip on the <$100 radar. And honestly, I really like the cable itself, I like VSonic's cabling. I really wish they had gone with an L-jack on these though like the GR06 and GR07 models. The L-jack would definitely be nicer than the straight jack it comes with. The strain relief on this jack leaves much to be desired. They really could have just used the same cable style they did with those previous models. My GR06 works just as well today as they did when I got them a couple of years ago. My favorite cable so far of the IEMs I use: soft, supple, and almost no memory characteristics. I didn't see or feel any difference with the VSD3S cable compared to my GR06 cable other than the straight jack and of course their fumbled foray into detachable cables.

Feb 18, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #4,250 of 4,956
For what it's worth, I've had some balance issues in the past with various IEMs, including this morning with my VSD3S and it turned out to be the source.  My 2012 Nexus tablet is getting old, and I find sometimes if I lightly "twist" it, the l/r balance returns.

Feb 18, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #4,251 of 4,956
  For what it's worth, I've had some balance issues in the past with various IEMs, including this morning with my VSD3S and it turned out to be the source.  My 2012 Nexus tablet is getting old, and I find sometimes if I lightly "twist" it, the l/r balance returns.

Maybe you just need to clean out the audio jack of your Nexus?

Feb 18, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #4,252 of 4,956
No I think it's the device itself in general.  It's on its last leg.

The battery lasts at most 2 days now, and when I plug it via usb to my PC, it recognizes the device 1 out of every 10 tries.  

All of its 'holes' are dying.  

Feb 18, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #4,253 of 4,956

-SNIP-

The build quality of the vsd3 cable ISN'T the best, but they are ok for me. To be honest, after i rolled over the wire with the chair the top layer of the cable showed signs of wear and scratch marks, but did not seem damage the silver wire underneath

The cable on the vsd3 is in two components. you see the silver color b/c of the silver wiring underneath(i think). The top layer is see-through rubber.
 The main issue like @swaroopanil and @Midgetguy said are the joints. There is little strain relief on the jack, which is a very big concern, but I have not had an issue with that yet.

and for the silver vs copper cables. Apparently, silver cables tone down the bass and create better detail in the mid range.

also, aren't silver cables the only option for non-detachables @ LMUE?

good luck on your purchase

Feb 19, 2015 at 12:09 AM Post #4,254 of 4,956
  No I think it's the device itself in general.  It's on its last leg.

The battery lasts at most 2 days now, and when I plug it via usb to my PC, it recognizes the device 1 out of every 10 tries.  

All of its 'holes' are dying.  

Haha, I guess it's just wheezing and gasping these days at your attempts to use it.

The build quality of the vsd3 cable ISN'T the best, but they are ok for me. To be honest, after i rolled over the wire with the chair the top layer of the cable showed signs of wear and scratch marks, but did not seem damage the silver wire underneath

The cable on the vsd3 is in two components. you see the silver color b/c of the silver wiring underneath(i think). The top layer is see-through rubber.
 The main issue like @swaroopanil and @Midgetguy said are the joints. There is little strain relief on the jack, which is a very big concern, but I have not had an issue with that yet.

and for the silver vs copper cables. Apparently, silver cables tone down the bass and create better detail in the mid range.

Yeah, I think they decided to go with the silver cable for all the non-detachable versions. I could be wrong though, but that version's all I've seen

Feb 19, 2015 at 8:48 AM Post #4,255 of 4,956
Yea, sadly it's near its end.  I'm determined to keep using it until it's completely dead though.

VSD3S is great for tablet use.. the Isolation is fantastic, and the way that it wraps around keeps them in my ears very securely for my morning/evening commute.  

Feb 19, 2015 at 10:04 PM Post #4,256 of 4,956
in case anyone is interested, i looked at the newly released ttpod t2, which takes a lot of design cues from the vsd3s (and i compared them in terms of design in the video!)

http://www.head-fi.org/products/ttpod-t2-3driver-hybrid-2ba-dynamic-hybrid-drive-ed-29689-ta7801-headphones-blue-gray/reviews/12604

Feb 20, 2015 at 9:22 AM Post #4,257 of 4,956

I kind of got over excited, and went and got the non-detachable pair before reading your post xD But no regrets. These pairs are amazing! Even fresh out of the box.

But yeah, the build quality seems a bit on the lower side, the cable texture feels really nice :D Though I'm kinda sceptical about the jack area, since I'm going to be using it with my phone in my pocket. I'm thinking of adding some DIY strain relief for the jack, maybe some polyolefin heat shrink as previously suggested on the Klipsch Image X10 thread. Would it be a bad idea?

Feb 22, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #4,260 of 4,956
I'm looking for a silver plated cable to upgrade the sound quality on vsd3s. I would like to know if someone bought the silver plated cable with mic from lunashops.

http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=4592

Users who are viewing this thread

Back