The new IEM of Vsonic VSD 3S ( impression updated by smailbz)
Feb 6, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #4,231 of 4,956
as a close competitor to the vsd3s (which i reviewed in an earlier video) 

i think this post may be of some use to clear things

below is a video review (+ a link to my more comprehensive written comparison) of my comparison between the havi b3 pro 1 and the hifiman re400.

see if neutral or balanced soundings earphones sound appealing to you.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/632802/hifiman-iems-re-400-and-re-600/2760#post_11297434

enjoy!

Feb 8, 2015 at 3:03 AM Post #4,234 of 4,956
I've heard reports before that stuff from LMUE will get to you just fine, but that the tracking might not always reflect anything useful.

+1 mine had "awaiting shipment for 2 weeks and the third week it arrived. Useless info.

On a different note, if you find that the treble is still sibilant after burn in and tip rolling, I recommend cutting a small piece of micro fiber cleaning cloth and use as filter between nozzle and tip to lessen the highs. It will result in smoothed highs.

Feb 9, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #4,235 of 4,956

Lendmeurears.com 

I've heard reports before that stuff from LMUE will get to you just fine, but that the tracking might not always reflect anything useful.

I live in U.S mid west
got mine in about 2 weeks
LMUE's tracking is spot on +1, but it stopped once it arrived on domestic soil. took me a while to figure out how to track after that.

tldr They give two tracking numbers. One for overseas and another for domestic.

Feb 14, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #4,237 of 4,956
Hey folks!

So I had a VSD3 with connector issues on the right side (sound was cutting off in random situations when wearing it) so I sent is back to mp4nation and after a month of waiting, I just received a replacement (VSD3S this time), but pretty quickly I found it has the very same issue as the old one had, it's even on the same side (right). I'm not sure if I wan't to replace it having to wait another month for a unit which might or might not have the very same issues the first 2 had.
I'm even more willing to do some home-made mod to make this issue stop, do you know any? Like fixating the connector with some super strong glue, etc? What would you do?
Thanks

Feb 14, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #4,238 of 4,956
  Hey folks!

So I had a VSD3 with connector issues on the right side (sound was cutting off in random situations when wearing it) so I sent is back to mp4nation and after a month of waiting, I just received a replacement (VSD3S this time), but pretty quickly I found it has the very same issue as the old one had, it's even on the same side (right). I'm not sure if I wan't to replace it having to wait another month for a unit which might or might not have the very same issues the first 2 had.
I'm even more willing to do some home-made mod to make this issue stop, do you know any? Like fixating the connector with some super strong glue, etc? What would you do?
Thanks

As I understand, you have problems with jack?
The recent vsonic earphones have poorly engineered cables, so this problem appears soon in most cases. The plastic of the connector is soft so the solder points go off when the connector comes loose. If that doesn't happen, the lack of strain relief damages the cable and connection loose appears where the wire exits the jack.

So if you have non-detachable version I think there are no other choices with broken connector than:
-You can buy neutrik jack and solder it yourself.
-You can find earphone cable and change the whole cable of vsd3 (unsolder old one, cut off rubber pieces-strain relivefs and place new one, tie in the cnot, solder, glue housing together).

If you have a detachable version of vsd3 and expriencisng problems with mmcx-like connector, there are not so many solutions that average owner can take. I think superglue is temporary solution.
-If problem with earpiece connector on the cable side, you can buy new cable (lunashops)
If earphone side faults, than you can open it and:
-Try to order new sockets and install them;
-Get new cable and solder it directly to the driver (getting out socket and enginering the place where cable goes out of housing yourself), tie it in a knot, and glue housing together.

Never heard that broken connection can be cured with superglue... Also, think of your warranty.
Can you describe the problem in more detail?

Feb 14, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #4,239 of 4,956

As I understand, you have problems with jack?
The recent vsonic earphones have poorly engineered cables, so this problem appears soon in most cases. The plastic of the connector is soft so the solder points go off when the connector comes loose. If that doesn't happen, the lack of strain relief damages the cable and connection loose appears where the wire exits the jack.

So if you have non-detachable version I think there are no other choices with broken connector than:
-You can buy neutrik jack and solder it yourself.
-You can find earphone cable and change the whole cable of vsd3 (unsolder old one, cut off rubber pieces-strain relivefs and place new one, tie in the cnot, solder, glue housing together).

If you have a detachable version of vsd3 and expriencisng problems with mmcx-like connector, there are not so many solutions that average owner can take. I think superglue is temporary solution.
-If problem with earpiece connector on the cable side, you can buy new cable (lunashops)
If earphone side faults, than you can open it and:
-Try to order new sockets and install them;
-Get new cable and solder it directly to the driver (getting out socket and enginering the place where cable goes out of housing yourself), tie it in a knot, and glue housing together.

Never heard that broken connection can be cured with superglue... Also, think of your warranty.
Can you describe the problem in more detail?

Thanks for your response, sorry, I wasn't very clear on the issue. So I have the detachable version, and I'm fairly sure the problem is around the mmcx-like connector. As of whether it's on the cable or on the earphone side (or maybe just the combination of the two), I'm not really sure, as I don't have a spare cable to test it. Without that all I could do to test it is to change the right earphone to the left cable and vice versa, but I wouldn't change them much as that can also damage them as I heard.
The superglue idea might be stupid, basically I just thought that since non-detachables don't have this problem, this would be a way to convert this to non-detachable by fixing the connection there with some strong glue. It might never work, or only work for a short time, I just really don't want to wait another month getting this thing replaced (which also could very well have the very same issue - since 2 out of 2 had it, I'm starting to doubt what are my odds of receiving a replacement that won't ever have this issue...), so I'm open to any suggestion about how to fix this... I like the new socket idea and the soldering idea, those might work, but those are some more serious mods that I'm not sure if I could pull off and also they might not be reversible, so if something goes wrong, I could be in more trouble. Because I don't want to void the warranty, I was looking for some quick, easy solution, if someone might have come up with something here, but I realize there's probably no quick fix for that.

Feb 15, 2015 at 10:45 AM Post #4,240 of 4,956

Thanks for your response, sorry, I wasn't very clear on the issue. So I have the detachable version, and I'm fairly sure the problem is around the mmcx-like connector. As of whether it's on the cable or on the earphone side (or maybe just the combination of the two), I'm not really sure, as I don't have a spare cable to test it. Without that all I could do to test it is to change the right earphone to the left cable and vice versa, but I wouldn't change them much as that can also damage them as I heard.

The superglue idea might be stupid, basically I just thought that since non-detachables don't have this problem, this would be a way to convert this to non-detachable by fixing the connection there with some strong glue. It might never work, or only work for a short time, I just really don't want to wait another month getting this thing replaced (which also could very well have the very same issue - since 2 out of 2 had it, I'm starting to doubt what are my odds of receiving a replacement that won't ever have this issue...), so I'm open to any suggestion about how to fix this... I like the new socket idea and the soldering idea, those might work, but those are some more serious mods that I'm not sure if I could pull off and also they might not be reversible, so if something goes wrong, I could be in more trouble. Because I don't want to void the warranty, I was looking for some quick, easy solution, if someone might have come up with something here, but I realize there's probably no quick fix for that.

0) Clean connectors from dirt, this can be the only problem you have.

1) Try to change the right earphone to the left and vice versa, listen for the changes. Those connectors must work after at least 500 times plugged/unplugged. Try it with no fear, but remember not to damage internals of connector and rubber covering!

Changing cables and eapieces and rotating the connectors is working method that will bring you to understanding of the problem.

1.5) Try to rotate the connector and discover if there is no contact between the socket and plug or there are bad soldered cables?

a) Bad soldered cables will disconnect sound while connected to both earpieces, whether you rotate the plug. Try to inspect this with applying little force at different angles of plug. Sound cut will be present on different angles of the plug. See (3) and (4)

b) If there is contact loss between contact pair surfaces, then problem appears at some combinations/angles of the plug and at the changed earpieces configuration all can work perfectly. If connector is not damaged you need only clean it (0),(2). The contact loss can be easily distinguished when you rotate the plug and listening to sound, it will be only present on the certain angle. Just try, it comes with experience! Also it can be permanent, so try to clean the faulty place where the sound is cutting off and repeat this inspection. If after of couple of times problem did not disappear than you have (a) or the surface of connector is damaged (mostly non-curable problem, so see (3) and (4)).

2) Isopropyl alcohol can clean connectors and they'll work fine if they are dirty or covered with glue. You can also try other cleaning tools.

There may be no damages and the dirt or glue from manufacturer can be the only problem for the connection so ispect connector side carefully and find the problem, understanding of the issue is the most important step to cure the sound cut yourself. Also gasoline can clean connectors too.

3) So if the connector damaged and previous points are not helping, you can buy new cable, that is decision that won't affect warranty but will work only if the cable side is faulty.

4) Earphone side - only way is the warranty exchange.

There are only few things that can broke, but it is hard to change something inside and work is somewhat nifty. Also warranty card clearly says: "The warranty does not cover earphones that were disassembled or repaired by other parties other than Vsonic authorisation"

5) Sometimes bad solder process on the manufacturer side causes the short circuit - only warranty can help if you do not want to open internals.

All recommendations are based on self experience. Hope this will help, sorry for bad English.

If warranty does not cover the cable, and the solder of the connector is faulty, you can resolder it. You'll need to cut resin, cut the plastic, resolder connectors and cover it with 5-minute epoxy glue, than heatshrink it. Here is my work: www.head-fi.org/t/669510/the-new-iem-of-vsonic-vsd-3s-impression-updated-by-smailbz/4005#post_11131942

Feb 17, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #4,241 of 4,956

I live in U.S mid west
got mine in about 2 weeks
LMUE's tracking is spot on +1, but it stopped once it arrived on domestic soil. took me a while to figure out how to track after that.

tldr They give two tracking numbers. One for overseas and another for domestic.

Finally got mine today. They sound bloody fantastic out of the box. It's playing every track thrown at it with such ease, it left me awestruck. My previous earphones are the Klipsch Image S3 which are a bid cold and have almost no soundstage. The VSD3S is truly a revelation. I don't feel like taking them out of my ears. 

My only gripe is the cable and jack build quality. My set has a faulty jack, out of the box, which is causing a breaking up in the right side. I only wish they'd charge a bit more and give more attention to the build quality. For this audio quality with a better build quality, I'd be willing to pay more.

PS: I'm hoping to get a replacement from the vendor (lendmeurears) since I've only heard good things about their customer service.

Feb 17, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #4,242 of 4,956
DanMar: thanks for the answer, it looks be a a really great guide to find out what's wrong.
Though it can be quite hard to find out, as it occurs quite rarely/randomly (the more annoying it gets when it does). Like today when I used it on the streets, there was zero cutoffs, it was perfect. Sometimes it does it, then sometimes it stops and it's good again while I didn't even touch it.
But with your guide, I'll try my best to find out. :)

Feb 17, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #4,243 of 4,956
I just made an account to ask this since the search option didn't yield much to me, and hopefully I'm asking at the right thread.

I'm looking to grab a pair of these but the cables are worrying me. My friend has a pair and he tells me I need to take really good care of them otherwise they'll break pretty fast. And I'm a moderate user, so I'm not sure how long they'd last for me. My last earphone, a thermaltake Isurus, lasted me like 7months I think. So any user reviews on the longevity of these pair? Or any DIYs I can implement to increase them?

Also, which one would the forum suggest? Detachable or non detachable version? The shop I have access to claims to have both the variations. The detachable version would make for good precaution for when the cables die... but the connector could go bad too, yeah?

Thanks. And apologies if this is the wrong thread ._.

Feb 17, 2015 at 10:56 PM Post #4,244 of 4,956
-SNIP- Also, which one would the forum suggest? Detachable or non detachable version? The shop I have access to claims to have both the variations. The detachable version would make for good precaution for when the cables die... but the connector could go bad too, yeah?

Thanks. And apologies if this is the wrong thread ._.

nah you're good. I have the VSD3 red blue non-detachable version from LMUE and have had them for about 2 months now... no problem at all. i rolled over the wire with a chair that other day- still fine xD
no crackling or anything like that
swaroopanil talked about sound breaking up on the right side on occasion for the detachable vsd3s.  and he got those recently so...

Feb 17, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #4,245 of 4,956
  nah you're good. I have the VSD3 red blue non-detachable version from LMUE and have had them for about 2 months now... no problem at all. i rolled over the wire with a chair that other day- still fine xD
no crackling or anything like that
swaroopanil talked about sound breaking up on the right side on occasion for the detachable vsd3s.  and he got those recently so...

Thanks for the feedback. If the cables can stand a chair, than I think they'll be fine with me.

And yeah, I was reading his post and thinking the detachable might not be such a good idea, but am also kinda hoping someone will come along and say these are rare incidents ._. But I guess the non-detachable would be the safest choice.

Also, does the upgrade/replacement silver cables have better connectors or are they just the same?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back