The new IEM of Vsonic VSD 3S ( impression updated by smailbz)
Aug 17, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #2,566 of 4,956
  As the owner of both the w4r and the vsd3s I can say they don't sound alike, The frequency response might sound somewhat similar but unfortunately they're far from been close. Having a hard time finding a correct analogy to explain myself better. 

You mean a "general hype" by VSonic CEO
tongue.gif
  I have VSD3S and W40, and there are plenty of differences in lows, mids, treble, and everything in between.  W4x is very smooth, laid back, warm, yet detailed and clear.  VSD3S in comparison has more aggressive higher quantity sub-bass, not as good separation, and thinner less natural mids with peaky upper mids/treble.  Don't get me wrong, for the price of $50 for VSD3S vs $500 for W40 - VSD3S is awesome, but you will be kidding yourself thinking you are getting performance of W4x when purchasing VSD3S.  At the same time, I can tell you with certainty, W40 is NOT 10x better than VSD3S
wink.gif

Hummm.... ok guys, I guess I did express my expectations wrong.
I'm sure that there are a obvious and clear distance between those two IEMs, not only over the sound sig but build quality, confort, accessories.... etc.
However considering the good job vsonic have been doing recently and the price gap between the vsd3s and the w4r (considering the w4r sound sig was their aim), I'm really curious to see (and hear) what they could do with the Sony EX1000 sound sig in mind.

I don't have any of those (W4r or EX1000), my budget would never allow it.
So I'm excited that I could be able to try something that could sound just a little bit close of those other great IEMs.

[size=x-small]But thanks for [/size]clarifying[size=x-small].[/size]

[size=x-small]=D[/size]

Aug 18, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #2,567 of 4,956
Yeah, someone joked once "head-fi: where it takes us 20 pages to conclude that a $500 IEM sounds better than a $50 IEM." Honestly though, twister and squall both know how good the VSD3S is for its price, and the Lachlan video said they nailed the reference target in terms of overall signature, just not refinement, but they're just being honest that you shouldn't expect miracles from it. They all gave it stellar ratings at its price point. 

So, I just got my GR07BE in the mail. Short first impressions are that it's got more detail than the VSD3S and much nicer drums (good god, these drums). It's not as bassy as the 3S and the bass and lower mids of the GR07BE are very tight, so much that they could be fatiguing. Treble is surprisingly not sibilant to me even though the GR07 family was said to be pretty harsh with some tracks. Treble sounds more natural than the 3S at first glance, and more controlled. Soundstage seems about the same width wise, but I feel like the 3S has better depth and more of a 3D sound. As far as build goes, I think I like the cable of the 3S a little better, but both feel nice. The GR07 is a lot smaller than I thought it would be from the pictures.

What is impressive is that the 3S does share a lot of qualities of the GR07BE and even improves on some. The BE is more clear and polished, where the 3S can sound a little harsh or muddy in comparison The GR07 is more neutral, and the 3S is warmer, but both are very musical. The value of the 3S is made evident by the fact that it does an admirable job, if not quite as refined sounding next to its older sibling.

Anyway, as I understand it, I'm supposed to burn these in for 6 million hours, so I'll report back if I hear any change. 

Aug 18, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #2,568 of 4,956
Yeah, someone joked once "head-fi: where it takes us 20 pages to conclude that a $500 IEM sounds better than a $50 IEM." Honestly though, twister and squall both know how good the VSD3S is for its price, and the Lachlan video said they nailed the reference target in terms of overall signature, just not refinement, but they're just being honest that you shouldn't expect miracles from it. They all gave it stellar ratings at its price point. 

So, I just got my GR07BE in the mail. Short first impressions are that it's got more detail than the VSD3S and much nicer drums (good god, these drums). It's not as bassy as the 3S and the bass and lower mids of the GR07BE are very tight, so much that they could be fatiguing. Treble is surprisingly not sibilant to me even though the GR07 family was said to be pretty harsh with some tracks. Treble sounds more natural than the 3S at first glance, and more controlled. Soundstage seems about the same width wise, but I feel like the 3S has better depth and more of a 3D sound. As far as build goes, I think I like the cable of the 3S a little better, but both feel nice. The GR07 is a lot smaller than I thought it would be from the pictures.

What is impressive is that the 3S does share a lot of qualities of the GR07BE and even improves on some. The BE is more clear and polished, where the 3S can sound a little harsh or muddy in comparison The GR07 is more neutral, and the 3S is warmer, but both are very musical. The value of the 3S is made evident by the fact that it does an admirable job, if not quite as refined sounding next to its older sibling.

Anyway, as I understand it, I'm supposed to burn these in for 6 million hours, so I'll report back if I hear any change. 

I think the same!

Aug 18, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #2,569 of 4,956

Basically is to avoid false expectations. They sound is nice enough (for some reason they sound awful with classical music) comfort is excellent, detachable cables are a huge plus. I would like to push this particular model among head-fiers to see more IEMs sharing the same design in the future

Aug 18, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #2,571 of 4,956
Hey, am new here I am really stuck between purchasing the Soundmagic E10's or the VSonic VSD3S, what do you guys recommend more ?

Btw, I will most be using them during commute, and while am in bed probably watching shows or something.

Thanks
skip the e10, the e30 is better sounding, and ergonomics are better for what you are describing.

The e30 is really good and has a awesome ergonomic fit and balanced wound with added sub layering.

The vsd3s wouldn't be bad either. They would be a slightly more "high fi" sounding phone. Plenty of bass and crisp and sharp highs.

If bright treble bothers you, and you want a more balanced sound I would say go with the e30. If you are looking for a more entertaining sound go and sharper look and removable cables matter to you go with the vsd3s.

Hope this helps

Aug 18, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #2,572 of 4,956
Vsd3s is fantastic for its price.

Sq to price ratio it's better than the GR07BE in that aspect.

But head to head the vsd3s doesn't fair very well. I'll give it to the vsd3s in terms of midrange. The mids hit a sweet spot for me. Other than that the vsd3s can't compete. It's bass is low and powerful but tonally it's not very good. Everything sounds there's no musicality and range in the bass region. The GR07BE is just the opposite.

Treble wise it's a little closer contest but at the end of the day the GR07BE is less fatiguing and more natural sounding to my ears.

Remember that we are comparing two iems with a +$100 price difference.

Both are epic. I say vsonic should make a GR07BE with detachable cables and a 12mm biocellulose driver. I'll be on that waiting list!

Aug 18, 2014 at 7:06 PM Post #2,574 of 4,956
I think people should just enjoy what they are able to get for sub-$50 these days instead of just trying to find shortcomings and drawbacks in comparison to more expensive stuff like the gr07be, which cost like 4 times more at its release. Of course, the vsd3s is not perfect but I doubt that many people actually expected to be as good as the high-end competition, especially given that vsonic has announced higher tier models like vsd5, vsd7 and vsd9.
One can always find flaws and complain when comparing iems from different tiers. Yeah, the vsd3s is not as good as gr07 just like there are higher end iem that make the gr07 sound bad and the same goes for w4r. So just enjoy your vsd3s 
beerchug.gif

Aug 18, 2014 at 7:08 PM Post #2,575 of 4,956
The GR07 has one of the best dynamic transducers on the market, what limits it soundwise is the material and shape of the shell, that cause issues with the treble. If Vsonic fixes those and adds detachable cables to the mix, the VSD7 will fly off the selves.

As for cost, it's not always an objective measure of technical capabilities (tuning is subjective anyway). The KC06 has a great driver with excellent speed and low distortion and it's a relatively cheap iem.

Aug 18, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #2,576 of 4,956
  I think people should just enjoy what they are able to get for sub-$50 these days instead of just trying to find shortcomings and drawbacks in comparison to more expensive stuff like the gr07be, which cost like 4 times more at its release. Of course, the vsd3s is not perfect but I doubt that many people actually expected to be as good as the high-end competition, especially given that vsonic has announced higher tier models like vsd5, vsd7 and vsd9.
One can always find flaws and complain when comparing iems from different tiers. Yeah, the vsd3s is not as good as gr07 just like there are higher end iem that make the gr07 sound bad and the same goes for w4r. So just enjoy your vsd3s 
beerchug.gif

What blows my mind is the VSD3S is not all that far off from the GR07 considering that price difference. The VSD5 could conceivably be as good sonically with a better 3D presentation. VSonic is definitely doing some great things for people of all price ranges. 

Aug 18, 2014 at 8:06 PM Post #2,577 of 4,956
  What blows my mind is the VSD3S is not all that far off from the GR07 considering that price difference. The VSD5 could conceivably be as good sonically with a better 3D presentation. VSonic is definitely doing some great things for people of all price ranges. 

If it uses a better diaphragm than yes, it's possible. The only thing we know is that it will be made with conventional materials but that doesn't mean much. What scares me though is that Vsonic, which is already pretty treble happy, is attempting to reproduce the sound of an iem that does a hot treble... 

Aug 18, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #2,578 of 4,956
If it uses a better diaphragm than yes, it's possible. The only thing we know is that it will be made with conventional materials but that doesn't mean much. What scares me though is that Vsonic, which is already pretty treble happy, is attempting to reproduce the sound of an iem that does a hot treble... 

Good point...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back