The new IEM of Vsonic VSD 3S ( impression updated by smailbz)
Dec 6, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #3,961 of 4,956
It's possible that they were rushing production to meet consumer demand, and as a result quality control went out the window.

Seems highly likely, as I got mine from later batches when I remember they were scrambling to keep up with demand. Just speculation but perhaps they needed to source connector components from different sources, which could introduce quite a bit of variability especially since it was a new, proprietary connector.

Dec 6, 2014 at 6:40 PM Post #3,963 of 4,956
Fellow Headfiers, I was thinking in the other day...What would be the upgrade to the VSD3S?

That's not a simple question I think...

What I don't want:
- Neutral and balanced kind of sound. So, maybe GR07 Bass Edition is out...
- BA "metalic" kind of sound. So, most of BAs are out I think...Maybe Fidue A83 is in...But I don't think it has enough bass quantity...And even that must be a little metallic...

Actually this makes me think I should know more IEMs :)

For instance, Audio Technica and JVC are brands I don't know much of...They might have a word to say in this regard...

Sugestions?

Dec 6, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #3,964 of 4,956
Fellow Headfiers, I was thinking in the other day...What would be the upgrade to the VSD3S?

What I don't want:
- BA "metalic" kind of sound. So, most of BAs are out I think...Maybe Fidue A83 is in...But I don't think it has enough bass quantity...And even that must be a little metallic...

Actually this makes me think I should know more IEMs
smily_headphones1.gif

For instance, Audio Technica and JVC are brands I don't know much of...They might have a word to say in this regard...

Sugestions?

How much do you want to spend? 

Dec 6, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #3,966 of 4,956

What I don't want:

Actually this makes me think I should know more IEMs
smily_headphones1.gif

Sugestions?

Actually BA's don't have a metallic kinda of sound. I think maybe some people have read random posts for certain BAs mainly single ones from few years ago and think that's how they all sound - thin and metallic with no bass, which isn't true

Dec 6, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #3,967 of 4,956
Oh really? I only have Altone 200 and most I had read in here describe BAs like that...

The first real upgrade I think of to VSD3S is Dunu DN-1000: read about great bass (although always present), fuller and rounder mids than Altone, nice treble. But people describe it as having a metallic type of sound (OK, this points to what you said)...A more fun IEM than the more "balanced" DN-2000, people say...

But having Altone, I'm not so interested in it...

Don't know...Thinking of an IEM without thinner sounding...

Dec 6, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #3,968 of 4,956
Oh really? I only have Altone 200 and most I had read in here describe BAs like that...

The first real upgrade I think of to VSD3S is Dunu DN-1000: read about great bass (although always present), fuller and rounder mids than Altone, nice treble. But people describe it as having a metallic type of sound (OK, this points to what you said)...A more fun IEM than the more "balanced" DN-2000, people say...

The biggest complaint about armature drivers was that they're mid-centric, but that has changed over the years with IEMs that have multiple drivers. Heck, it's pretty much impossible nowadays to find an IEM with a single armature driver. Armature drivers generally provide more detail and take up less room, so as you go up the spectrum of IEMs, more and more of them will be made up of armature drivers, while some would be paired with a single dynamic driver. Either way, you shouldn't be scared of them. 

Dec 6, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #3,969 of 4,956

If you have Altone 200 and looking for an upgrade on a budget of $350, check out Fidue A83.  BIG upgrade from Altone200, more balanced full body sound, smoother upper mids/treble, improved bass texture, excellent triple driver hybrid with reference quality sound.  If you want to go dynamic, CKR10 dual driver is mind blowing with an amazing extension at both ends of the spectrum, very powerful and detailed bass and super detailed/clear mids/treble, all with very natural timbre.

Dec 6, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #3,970 of 4,956
I guess...Thanks for the explanation!

Can you say a BA type IEM (or hybrid) that does not sound metallic and thinner sounding for me to get that somehow reference?

Edit: I believe twister6 already said one I think :wink: That was the one I was thinking more to upgrade Altone... Also reading about Earsonics brand...

Dec 6, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #3,971 of 4,956
  The biggest complaint about armature drivers was that they're mid-centric, but that has changed over the years with IEMs that have multiple drivers. Heck, it's pretty much impossible nowadays to find an IEM with a single armature driver. Armature drivers generally provide more detail and take up less room, so as you go up the spectrum of IEMs, more and more of them will be made up of armature drivers, while some would be paired with a single dynamic driver. Either way, you shouldn't be scared of them. 

Not really mid-centric but bright and thin sounding with not enough bass emphasis. There might be entry-level BA iems that lack eztension on both ends but ety pretty much started the whole thing and the eties are definitely not mid-centric. 

Haven't heard the Altone but by others' impressions it seems to be quite bright and a bit on the thin side like the dn1000, and overall a thinner and edgier sound can be metallic. Just at the moment it seems that manufacturers are trying to show off the greater bass paired with greater clarity that hybrids are capable off at lower price point. B[size=12.8000001907349px]ut a few BA models and hybrids that sound like that are not really representative of what BAs are capable of, especially at the higher-end.[/size]

Dec 6, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #3,973 of 4,956
  Not really mid-centric but bright and thin sounding with not enough bass emphasis. There might be entry-level BA iems that lack eztension on both ends but ety pretty much started the whole thing and the eties are definitely not mid-centric. 

Haven't heard the Altone but by others' impressions it seems to be quite bright and a bit on the thin side like the dn1000, and overall a thinner and edgier sound can be metallic. Just at the moment it seems that manufacturers are trying to show off the greater bass paired with greater clarity that hybrids are capable off at lower price point. B[size=12.8000001907349px]ut a few BA models and hybrids that sound like that are not really representative of what BAs are capable of, especially at the higher-end.[/size]

That's what I intended to say, thanks for the clarification. 
etysmile.gif

Dec 7, 2014 at 7:42 PM Post #3,975 of 4,956

What I don't want:

Actually this makes me think I should know more IEMs :)

Sugestions?

Im borrowing a friends jvc fxt90s its only been a few days and i gotta say it takes the vsonic vsd3s sound and just upgrade it.

Its cleaner, less peaker treble, more extended treble. Midrange more forward.

Havent officially a/bed them but im loving them so far

Users who are viewing this thread

Back