The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Oct 16, 2013 at 6:23 AM Post #5,971 of 28,989
GSX-2 has also seems to work for all my headphones including he-6, havent tried k1000 yet

If it only works for top tier headphones then I wouldn't consider it in the same league as the Pinnacle.
It would have to be really very special if its better than the ECBA and EAR.
And if it is, I'd be very inclined to buy one.

My point is, I don't base my judgement on pricing, just performance.    
Heck, I found the Mjolnir better than the ECBA for the LCD3s and a major reason I sold the latter and got the Pinnacle.

Oct 16, 2013 at 6:50 AM Post #5,972 of 28,989
Works with just about anything, the magic of wire with gain sound.

I am not a fan of the ECBA, at least with hd 800 and th-900

Oct 16, 2013 at 8:04 AM Post #5,973 of 28,989

GSX-2 has also seems to work for all my headphones including he-6, havent tried k1000 yet

If it only works for top tier headphones then I wouldn't consider it in the same league as the Pinnacle.
It would have to be really very special if its better than the ECBA and EAR.
And if it is, I'd be very inclined to buy one.

My point is, I don't base my judgement on pricing, just performance.    
Heck, I found the Mjolnir better than the ECBA for the LCD3s and a major reason I sold the latter and got the Pinnacle.

Then you should put the mjolnir into that same league as well. It definitely does not work for every top tier headphone. What does that Pinnacle do, magic

Oct 16, 2013 at 8:32 AM Post #5,974 of 28,989
  Then you should put the mjolnir into that same league as well. It definitely does not work for every top tier headphone. What does that Pinnacle do, magic

You're totally missing the point. The Mjolnir is good ONLY with the LCD3s, not so much with HD800s.
The Pinnacle OTOH is great with ALL my headphones. How it does it you'll have to ask Todd/Pete. They're the magicians.
I just appreciate their magic 
cool.gif

Oct 16, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #5,976 of 28,989

The Mjolnir is good ONLY with the LCD3s, not so much with HD800s.

That, I can totally agree with.

Oct 21, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #5,977 of 28,989
ordering my hd800's next week - cannot wait    
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Oct 21, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #5,979 of 28,989
Oct 22, 2013 at 1:45 AM Post #5,980 of 28,989
  also getting 2 sieveking omega stand for the HD800's and T1

Congrats on the purchase! I still feel nowhere near the potential of my HD800s but I'm just amazed at how great they sound with my 'high-end' portable setup shown below. Rather than spend some serious money on the Omega stands (although they are very nice), my headphones spend a lot of time on my head and hence the stand was secondary. I built my own stand using a 4" long piece of 3/4" galvanized pipe, a 3/4" threaded flange for the base, a styrofoam dummy's head from a local costume shop and a can of styrofoam safe spray paint (tan colour). Total cost was about $15.

Although I've bought mainly portable components and show the setup connected to my iPhone 5, I use it far more often connected to my MacBook Pro. The MBP is connected to the Cypher Labs Algorythm Solo -dB with a USB 2.0 port. The balanced output of the CLAS -dB is connected to the balanced input of the Ray Samuels Audio Intruder. And lastly, my HD800 (self-reterminated) are connected to the balanced headphone output on the front of the RSA Intruder. Eventually I'll be buying a better amp and DAC for my home setup, but right now my so-called 'portable' setup does a very nice job with my predominantly FLAC based library of music. Thankfully I've discovered that I don't need to jump right to the GS-X Mark II and an equally pricey DAC to get fantastic sound. And when I do buy the high end 'desktop' amp and DAC, I'll hopefully appreciate the sound improvement that much more.

Dale

Oct 22, 2013 at 2:47 AM Post #5,981 of 28,989
^^^ really like the stand! Very inventive. 

Oct 22, 2013 at 8:39 AM Post #5,982 of 28,989

Congrats on the purchase! I still feel nowhere near the potential of my HD800s but I'm just amazed at how great they sound with my 'high-end' portable setup shown below. Rather than spend some serious money on the Omega stands (although they are very nice), my headphones spend a lot of time on my head and hence the stand was secondary. I built my own stand using a 4" long piece of 3/4" galvanized pipe, a 3/4" threaded flange for the base, a styrofoam dummy's head from a local costume shop and a can of styrofoam safe spray paint (tan colour). Total cost was about $15.

Although I've bought mainly portable components and show the setup connected to my iPhone 5, I use it far more often connected to my MacBook Pro. The MBP is connected to the Cypher Labs Algorythm Solo -dB with a USB 2.0 port. The balanced output of the CLAS -dB is connected to the balanced input of the Ray Samuels Audio Intruder. And lastly, my HD800 (self-reterminated) are connected to the balanced headphone output on the front of the RSA Intruder. Eventually I'll be buying a better amp and DAC for my home setup, but right now my so-called 'portable' setup does a very nice job with my predominantly FLAC based library of music. Thankfully I've discovered that I don't need to jump right to the GS-X Mark II and an equally pricey DAC to get fantastic sound. And when I do buy the high end 'desktop' amp and DAC, I'll hopefully appreciate the sound improvement that much more.

Dale

We`re on parallel hd800-evolution tragectories. . .   
I really like what you`re doing with the balanced mode, and of course the mannequin head.  

Oct 22, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #5,985 of 28,989

Users who are viewing this thread

Back