The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jun 5, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #3,137 of 29,010
Quote:
Does anyone know of a good carrying case that would work well with the HD800's? I say that because the box they come in, although it's nice, is just too big and impractical to carry around (it reminds me of a jewelry box). When I visited a friend in New York City a few months ago I wanted him to try them out, so I literally held the HD800's in my hand the entire time while in the airport and on the plane so that possible damage was kept to a minimum. I did get some strange looks, as one might imagine.

http://www.nanukcase.com/                        http://www.nanukcase.com/gestion/accessories/shoulder_strap.jpg

Jun 5, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #3,138 of 29,010
I use mine to store my RPG launchers and IED devices. Works pretty well I think. 

Considering the HD800s cost just as much as an RPG in some countries and the box is way smaller for headphones your getting a steal. Done be ashamed to spend 100$ on a really nice multi purpose travel case. Use protection fellas 
size]

Jun 6, 2013 at 1:04 AM Post #3,139 of 29,010
So, I have a DA-160 DAC from Burson which I use with my Soloist amplifier (Burson), and with a Schiit Lyr now and then as well. My main headphones are the Sennhseiser HD800.

I am happy with the setup as it is, I'm really inclined to change my DAC for something newer, something that can retrieve more micro-detail and is more spatial than the DA-160. My main headphone is the HD-800 and I usually use it with the Soloist. Usually, I listen to Jazz (Dave Brubeck, Charlie Parker, Keith Jarret...), and classic rock'n'roll (think Velvet Underground, Mutantes, Beatles, etc.).

NOW: The IMPORTANT bit is... I'd like your suggestions on a new DAC for me that goes well with my setup and music style, BUT its maximum cost has to be BELLOW USD$1'000.00, please.

Also, since I live in Brazil, I'd love if you put links where I can buy the suggest DAC (the DAC producer or seller must ship worldwide, obviously)

TL/DR: Please, I need a good DAC recommendation for my HD800 (to be used with Burson Soloist, as hp-amp). I'd like something cheaper than USD$1'000.00, please

Thank you, so very much!!

Jun 6, 2013 at 1:36 AM Post #3,140 of 29,010
Quote:
So, I have a DA-160 DAC from Burson which I use with my Soloist amplifier (Burson), and with a Schiit Lyr now and then as well. My main headphones are the Sennhseiser HD800.

I am happy with the setup as it is, I'm really inclined to change my DAC for something newer, something that can retrieve more micro-detail and is more spatial than the DA-160. My main headphone is the HD-800 and I usually use it with the Soloist. Usually, I listen to Jazz (Dave Brubeck, Charlie Parker, Keith Jarret...), and classic rock'n'roll (think Velvet Underground, Mutantes, Beatles, etc.).

NOW: The IMPORTANT bit is... I'd like your suggestions on a new DAC for me that goes well with my setup and music style, BUT its maximum cost has to be BELLOW USD$1'000.00, please.

Also, since I live in Brazil, I'd love if you put links where I can buy the suggest DAC (the DAC producer or seller must ship worldwide, obviously)

TL/DR: Please, I need a good DAC recommendation for my HD800 (to be used with Burson Soloist, as hp-amp). I'd like something cheaper than USD$1'000.00, please

Thank you, so very much!!

Hahaha, poor old DA-160. I don't think he wants to be retired!! 

Why don't you try a fully upgraded MSB TECHNOLOGY, Diamond DAC IV? (Hahaha, I'm only kidding)

The NAD M51 is a great ~$1000 DAC that I've personally heard with the HD 800. Jazz sounds really good and lifelike. Very natural and neutral. On the plus side, if you ever retire it in the future you can always use for your home theatre/hi-fi.

There's a distributor listed here for Brazil, but I'm sure there are others. They aren't hard to find. :)

Jun 6, 2013 at 2:36 AM Post #3,141 of 29,010
But the NAD is like 1500$... And in Brazil I'd roughly estimate 2000$. It is a fantastic piece of equipment though.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jun 6, 2013 at 3:12 AM Post #3,144 of 29,010
Maybe look into the Revamped Concero HD as well.

Jun 6, 2013 at 3:38 AM Post #3,145 of 29,010
Paypal Refund finally came back and ordered the WA7 to go with the HD800's :) can't wait!

will be interesting to see how the WA7 goes compared to my ****ty laptop built in audio setup

Jun 6, 2013 at 3:38 AM Post #3,146 of 29,010
finally able to pull the trigger on the hd800 and im a very happy man now,
currently pairing it with fostex hp-a8. im very happy with my first desktop set up
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 6, 2013 at 5:54 AM Post #3,147 of 29,010
DAC under $1k?  Schiit BiFrost w/ Uber or Gungnir, Metrum Octave, W4S DAC-1.  Sure I am missing some.

Jun 6, 2013 at 9:26 AM Post #3,150 of 29,010
You have the Mjolnir... which is super aggressive and top tilted.  That amp takes a seriously smooth, laid back and dark source.  It likely wasn't the Gungnir since it is one of the DACs known to tame the Mjolnir some compared to other sources.  Personally found the Mjolnir too aggressive even with the Metrum Octave and LCD-3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back