The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
May 26, 2013 at 3:16 AM Post #2,926 of 29,013
Quote:

Some new friends with matched 98/98 sections...so deliciously smooth, but with ridiculously airy presentation and amazingly coherent imaging. This is a stopping point before I can afford Halske's...

Kojaku

+1

May 26, 2013 at 8:34 AM Post #2,927 of 29,013
Quote:

Some new friends with matched 98/98 sections...so deliciously smooth, but with ridiculously airy presentation and amazingly coherent imaging. This is a stopping point before I can afford Halske's...

Kojaku

That is some sweet looking glass, Kojaku!

May 26, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #2,928 of 29,013
Quote:
Sooo, I've been hunting around for a Good Amp to match with these headphones, with enough time either my head or the foam has settled to the point were I'm not getting headache's anymore (yay) now origionally I was quite keen on the BCL, but since then I keep on thinking that, since I listen to mostly electronic audio from a variety of devices, mostly a laptop that I should actually look at sorting the DAC side of things, so then I was looking at the BCL which has DAC built in, but then I read that it's terrible!

my problem is that I really don't want to spend more than $1k for the amp & DAC, so low and behold I come across a few sites making noise about the fireflies which seem to fit the bill....

My question to you guys, are any of you guys running the WA7 Fireflies with the HD800's? what do you think, especially with regards to electronic music ?

Can you roll tubes with the WA7? No? Consider the Schiit Bifrost/Lyr. Tube signature with the 800s is IMHO important.

... if your determined to go with tubes. I think solid state can outperform tubes, but its more costly to find an amp done right.

May 26, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #2,930 of 29,013
Does anyone have experience with the Cardas vs. the Black Dragon for the HD800? I have the Cardas now (just "cheap" one, not the Clear) and I greatly prefer it to the stock cable. I'm interested to know if people prefer the Black Dragon to the Cardas. I've also been thinking about doing the Q-Audio with the adapters too, since I have the LCD2s. I'd love to hear any feedback about the Q cable as well. Thanks.

May 26, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #2,931 of 29,013
Quote:
Does anyone have experience with the Cardas vs. the Black Dragon for the HD800? I have the Cardas now (just "cheap" one, not the Clear) and I greatly prefer it to the stock cable. I'm interested to know if people prefer the Black Dragon to the Cardas. I've also been thinking about doing the Q-Audio with the adapters too, since I have the LCD2s. I'd love to hear any feedback about the Q cable as well. Thanks.

I love my Black Dragon for my HD800 and think it's the best. I didn't like the Cardas for my HD650 (made it "nervous" sounding) FWIW. Go for the premium Furutech connectors, I like the sound of these much more than the Neutriks (or any others)
and so does Drew. It needs about 20-30 hours of break in to sound it's best (the bass get wonderfully controlled and detailed.).

May 26, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #2,932 of 29,013
Litv v Multistrand.  Personally prefer litz normally.  Given the HD800 connector to the headphone is about 100awg, pure fiction but it is tiny, the material quality and flex are more important than gauge. 

May 26, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #2,933 of 29,013
Quote:

Can you roll tubes with the WA7? No? Consider the Schiit Bifrost/Lyr. Tube signature with the 800s is IMHO important.

... if your determined to go with tubes. I think solid state can outperform tubes, but its more costly to find an amp done right.

I was actually under the impression that the shiit stuff was far more expensive than it's now looking, it sounds like that might actually be the way to go..

the Fireflies are such a beautiful solution though! and so neat :) I may end up going with the WA7 with the Russian tubes (better for electronic they seem to be saying) and see how I go, if it's not enough then move to a shiit stack

May 26, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #2,934 of 29,013
Quote:
I was actually under the impression that the shiit stuff was far more expensive than it's now looking, it sounds like that might actually be the way to go..

the Fireflies are such a beautiful solution though! and so neat :) I may end up going with the WA7 with the Russian tubes (better for electronic they seem to be saying) and see how I go, if it's not enough then move to a shiit stack

Hey schiits neat too!

May 26, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #2,936 of 29,013
Quote:
I am not sure if I have just gotten used to listening to bad recording through the HD800, or if the Headamp GS-X mk2 has made a subtle but significant change because I just noticed that I am no longer cringing when I listen to a number of CDs which used to drive me crazy through the HD800s.

--mark

eek.gif

I don't know what to think of this..  What amp was you previously using?

May 26, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #2,937 of 29,013
I've been eyeing/lusting over the WA7.  It seems like a simple and elegant solution that takes up minimal desk space.  I've only seen one comparison and the WA7 outclasses the Bifrost/Lyr but not by a lot.  Don't think you can go wrong withe either given that they're roughly within the same price range. If this is true, I'm thinking of going the WA7, get both sets of tubes and then be done with it. The Bifrost gives you more flexibility but I'm OK with a USB only solution. 
Quote:

May 26, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #2,938 of 29,013
Quote:
I've been eyeing/lusting over the WA7.  It seems like a simple and elegant solution that takes up minimal desk space.  I've only seen one comparison and the WA7 outclasses the Bifrost/Lyr but not by a lot.  Don't think you can go wrong withe either given that they're roughly within the same price range. If this is true, I'm thinking of going the WA7, get both sets of tubes and then be done with it. The Bifrost gives you more flexibility but I'm OK with a USB only solution. 

Agreed, and exactly as you say, buy both sets of tubes

Come thursday I'm ordering the WA7, Sorry but the Shiit stuff is just too ugly

May 27, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #2,939 of 29,013
Agreed, and exactly as you say, buy both sets of tubes

Come thursday I'm ordering the WA7, Sorry but the Shiit stuff is just too ugly

Huh. I actually think the opposite. Besides, some of the best gear I've heard is old crappy scarred up on the outside....But modified out the wazoo on the inside. Looks have NOTHING to do with audio reproduction. I'd use a dead rotting moose carcus if it sounded good. :)

May 27, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #2,940 of 29,013
Quote:
Huh. I actually think the opposite. Besides, some of the best gear I've heard is old crappy scarred up on the outside....But modified out the wazoo on the inside. Looks have NOTHING to do with audio reproduction. I'd use a dead rotting moose carcus if it sounded good. :)

I have at no point said that looks have anything to do with quality, I however have to look at the thing every day and personally find the WA7 far more pleasing to the eye

Users who are viewing this thread

Back