The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
May 25, 2013 at 7:50 AM Post #2,896 of 29,010
Quote:
Sooo, I've been hunting around for a Good Amp to match with these headphones, with enough time either my head or the foam has settled to the point were I'm not getting headache's anymore (yay) now origionally I was quite keen on the BCL, but since then I keep on thinking that, since I listen to mostly electronic audio from a variety of devices, mostly a laptop that I should actually look at sorting the DAC side of things, so then I was looking at the BCL which has DAC built in, but then I read that it's terrible!

my problem is that I really don't want to spend more than $1k for the amp & DAC, so low and behold I come across a few sites making noise about the fireflies which seem to fit the bill....

My question to you guys, are any of you guys running the WA7 Fireflies with the HD800's? what do you think, especially with regards to electronic music ?

I'd stay away from (the fancy) tube amps, but that's just me...

May 25, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #2,900 of 29,010
Quote:
Yeah, the best SS amps are a lot cheaper than the "best" tube amps.

The best solid state amps are form companies like Nelson Pass,Dan Agostino,Mb and others like Classe. and Sim Audio. Ther is nothing cheap about there offerings in both sound quality and in price. They will be very similar in price to Tube amplifiers in that category.  

The distance has narrowed between the two designs.  I own both solid state and tube amplifiers and enjoy both types.

May 25, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #2,901 of 29,010
I'd get an M-stage and spend the rest on a good dac with a 1k budget. Then start saving for a better amp.

May 25, 2013 at 10:04 AM Post #2,902 of 29,010
I haven't heard an SS amp I've liked with the HD800 under a few grand. I think you can 'get away with' a cheaper tube amp for them than SS amp.

You will in a couple weeks. The M-Stage (BCL clone) is really interesting with the HD800 for only $260.

May 25, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #2,903 of 29,010
Or you could get one of these :) Its the least I've spent on any amp, and the best sounding one I've owned 
size]

It's older than my wife, and she's 35! 

May 25, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #2,905 of 29,010
I also officially hate Grado now.
The SR80i used to be ~€80 here, now it's €170 (=$220)...
And in the US it's still $100.
In the UK it's £135 ($205).
They're so cool to charge ~2,2 times more for the same headphone here in Europe.
Companies to not buy headphones from anymore:
Sennheiser;
Grado.

Quote:
The best solid state amps are form companies like Nelson Pass,Dan Agostino,Mb and others like Classe. and Sim Audio. Ther is nothing cheap about there offerings in both sound quality and in price. They will be very similar in price to Tube amplifiers in that category.  

The distance has narrowed between the two designs.  I own both solid state and tube amplifiers and enjoy both types.

I had a look at Dan Agostino's products and all I can think is "toy".

May 25, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #2,906 of 29,010
Quote:
I also officially hate Grado now.
The SR80i used to be ~€80 here, now it's €170 (=$220)...
And in the US it's still $100.
In the UK it's £135 ($205).
They're so cool to charge ~2,2 times more for the same headphone here in Europe.
Companies to not buy headphones from anymore:
Sennheiser;
Grado.

I had a look at Dan Agostino's products and all I can think is "toy".

Things (especially electric) have always been cheaper in the US compared to Europe. Its just the way it is. If you don't like it then move to the US :D

Economics and head-fi don't mix well and just leads to pointless derailing arguments....  

May 25, 2013 at 10:54 AM Post #2,907 of 29,010
Quote:
Things (especially electric) have always been cheaper in the US compared to Europe. Its just the way it is. If you don't like it then move to the US :D

Economics and head-fi don't mix well and just leads to pointless derailing arguments....  

Half a year ago the SR-80 was €80 here, and I know things are usually a bit more expensive here. But not 120% more expensive! Like 20% more at most is the "normal" pricing.

May 25, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #2,908 of 29,010
Global market.  Don't take advantage of it at your own peril.  If British pricing is silly, buy from another source.  Personally I always buy from the country of origin.

May 25, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #2,909 of 29,010
Grado have always ripped off international buyers, that's just the way Grado operate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back