The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Apr 7, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #1,756 of 28,989
No I'm not saying Tyll is poor or not worthy, that would be classism and that type of thing drives me nuts.  In all likely hood Tyll is wealthier than I am :wink:  All I said was Tyll prefers dark cans and as such likely built his rig around the LCD-3 and not the HD800.

Apr 7, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #1,758 of 28,989
I don't know, I just prefer HD800 for everything, including black metal (and Linkin park ,-) ), over LCD-2... :)

(I actually bought LCD-2 first because people keep telling that HD800 are unbearable for modern music... silly me)

Maybe I was wrong, lets see after I received it, maybe i can use it for something else than classical too.

I think its over 4 years now since it was released. 4 year and 3 months to be exact 
size]

I love classical with these. Theres nothing that I've heard comes close. The dynamics are so fast, nothing is missed. There is a real sense of realism. Shut your eyes, lie back and you just sink into the soundstage. Nothing sounds artificial or emphasized. At times I really think I could be sitting in the audience at a concert. 

Congrats in ordering one! For me its the best hifi purchase I've made yet. 

Yes, cant wait to get it now .........

Apr 7, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #1,759 of 28,989
So I was looking at my headphone stand and noticed that there were some black flakes from the headband coming off. A similar thing happened with the pads before I got them replaced. My HD800 is pretty old and one of the earlier SN. I was wondering if anyone knew where to get a replacement or do I have to call the Sennheiser customer service for that? 

Apr 7, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #1,760 of 28,989
Quote:

They can't touch the HE-6 and HD800s in that area.  IMO..

I would say that the HD800s have a touch more detail. But I'd rank the LCD-3s over the HE-6s in that regard, but to get them to really open up between 75-84dB is ideal. But both were very, very good IMO when I owned both. 

Apr 7, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #1,765 of 28,989
Quote:

Thank you for this, out of curiosity, regarding impact at normal listening levels, how would you rate your SR-009's in comparison to the dynamics you mentioned?

The SR-009s are a whole different ball game. The SR-009s can bring the bass when the recording calls for it and while they have a bit less "impact" than my LCD-3s, they do have more than either the HD800s or HE-6s. Texture, control, detail, depth, you name it, the SR-009s win hands down (and not just the bass 
size]
).

If you want even more bass, then the TH-900s might be another option?

Apr 7, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #1,766 of 28,989
Quote:
The SR-009s are a whole different ball game. The SR-009s can bring the bass when the recording calls for it and while they have a bit less "impact" than my LCD-3s, they do have more than either the HD800s or HE-6s. Texture, control, detail, depth, you name it, the SR-009s win hands down (and not just the bass 
size]
).

If you want even more bass, then the TH-900s might be another option?

Appreciate your input from direct experience. I did own the TH900's for about 2 weeks on an m903. the setup was nice but not for me. I am about to get my feet wet on this end so trying to gather some input.
Quote:

The impact on the HE-6 scales higher than any other headphone out there  IMO  

Sorry I missed this, a little intoxicated, this was the impression I had from users here who had invested in the HE-6.

Apr 8, 2013 at 7:36 AM Post #1,767 of 28,989
Quote:

Appreciate your input from direct experience. I did own the TH900's for about 2 weeks on an m903. the setup was nice but not for me. I am about to get my feet wet on this end so trying to gather some input.
Sorry I missed this, a little intoxicated, this was the impression I had from users here who had invested in the HE-6.

my experience 100%

My ranking:
Sound staging: HD800>HE6>LCD3

For impact: HE6>HD800>LCD3

For detail, I actually think that HD800 only wins out because of its larger sound stage which gives a bigger field to separate sounds (more space between them) it they are easier to isolate different sounds. However, I think HE6 and HD800 are neck 'n' neck as far are ability to retrieve detail. It is just easier to perceive on the hd800 - if that makes sense.
I should add that I do not own LCD3 but heard it on few occasions. I am willing to have my mind changed, but for now, that's how I feel

Apr 8, 2013 at 7:53 AM Post #1,768 of 28,989
Quote:
my experience 100%

My ranking:
Sound staging: HD800>HE6>LCD3

For impact: HE6>HD800>LCD3

For detail, I actually think that HD800 only wins out because of its larger sound stage which gives a bigger field to separate sounds (more space between them) it they are easier to isolate different sounds. However, I think HE6 and HD800 are neck 'n' neck as far are ability to retrieve detail. It is just easier to perceive on the hd800 - if that makes sense.
I should add that I do not own LCD3 but heard it on few occasions. I am willing to have my mind changed, but for now, that's how I feel

+1 agreed 100%

Apr 8, 2013 at 8:51 AM Post #1,769 of 28,989
Wondering what you think about speed with HD800 vs HE6.  With my AGD Master6 amp HD800 was significantly faster and more composed, and had greater dynamic contrast.  My guess is the Master6 is not a good match for the HE6, and hat it simply needed a power amplifier.  In that regard I am kind of sad that I may have never heard the HE6 at its best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back