The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Apr 7, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #1,741 of 28,992
Quote:
Looks like tyll has a pretty good collection of amp to test the gear he gets.

Keep in mind the amps Tyll gets in are review samples and other people's personal amps that are in to be measured.  Tyll isn't Bruce Wayne, IF is his job.  Case in point Tyll loves the 009 but has said many times he can't personally afford the rig.

Apr 7, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #1,742 of 28,992
I think Tyll does like darker phones. Also I wonder what music he prefers. I think HD800 is awesome for classical, but I am not sure that I would pick it for majority of rock -- especially for the basic guitars, bass drums and singer set up, where you do not need a microscope to get a good sense of the music. I am not saying that rock does not require decent headphones, but rather that the strengths of the HD800 are easily overlooked listening to that type of music. BTW, the 800 are my go to for classical but HE6 for electronica and my sparse rock sessions of pink floyd and/or radiohead when I am in the mood. 

Just wonna add that I have tons of respect for Tyll and have agreed with many many times -- more so than any other reviewer I have followed. However, he is not an oracle and everyone should just trust their ears. If you like a can, enjoy it! If you don't, drop it. 

Apr 7, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #1,743 of 28,992
Quote:
On the contrary, almost 3 years since its release, I always bash hd800 tonality, overdampened bass, wongky sound, but after I listen classical thry 800, my opinion swing 180 degree. It's just magical!!! Not even electrostat come close (never heard stax with top notch amp tho).
The sound just floats, reverberation through walls are heard, magical!
I ordered one
smily_headphones1.gif

I think its over 4 years now since it was released. 4 year and 3 months to be exact 
size]

I love classical with these. Theres nothing that I've heard comes close. The dynamics are so fast, nothing is missed. There is a real sense of realism. Shut your eyes, lie back and you just sink into the soundstage. Nothing sounds artificial or emphasized. At times I really think I could be sitting in the audience at a concert. 

Congrats in ordering one! For me its the best hifi purchase I've made yet. 

Apr 7, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #1,744 of 28,992
I listen to a lot of prog rock and for me, the HD800 is the first headphone articulate enough to not get a little congested in complex layered passages. Its upper bass and midrange clarity and detail where the lesser headphones Ive owned fall down.

Apr 7, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #1,745 of 28,992
Quote:
I listen to a lot of prog rock and for me, the HD800 is the first headphone articulate enough to not get a little congested in complex layered passages. Its upper bass and midrange clarity and detail where the lesser headphones Ive owned fall down.

Yeah, that pretty much sums up what I hear too. I listen to 70s,80s rock/pop too (some ELP, Genesis, arena rock, Boston, Foreigner, Zepp),
and that upper bass / lower mids region that can get congested or tubby is clear as day on the 800s, better than live.

Apr 7, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #1,747 of 28,992
Quote:

Quote:
Yeah, that pretty much sums up what I hear too. I listen to 70s,80s rock/pop too (some ELP, Genesis, arena rock, Boston, Foreigner, Zepp),
and that upper bass / lower mids region that can get congested or tubby is clear as day on the 800s, better than live.

Huh, good to know. I have always associated LCD-3 with those genres. I wonder whether you two compared LCD-3 to HD800 and what your thoughts were. Thanks.

Apr 7, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #1,748 of 28,992
Mud and rock is a bad mix.  Just ends in a wall of sound where you wonder where your money went.

Apr 7, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #1,749 of 28,992
Quote:

Huh, good to know. I have always associated LCD-3 with those genres. I wonder whether you two compared LCD-3 to HD800 and what your thoughts were. Thanks.

come to think of it, you guys listen in a way that does call for the 800 resolving abilities. I think some listen for other things in their music

Apr 7, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #1,750 of 28,992
Quote:
Quote:
I don't know if we should count the number of time , that the hd800 is told be the best on this thread. When someone dare to say otherwise , it's  each time  the occasion  to promote a better source, cable or whatever.  I know by heart the pattern now.

You know what ? I  don't dispute the claim that the hd800 could sound subjectively better on some source. I'm actually tempted to think that these sources are compensating some of the flaws of the hd800, or just giving the flavor that people are looking for. You see , same end result, either you see that the glass is half empty, or half filled. I try to keep such considerations short. You are free to enjoy the "best" headphone from the "best" source, if this helps you to keep some peace of mind.

And by the way , I  gave a precise example before , that show that hd800 is unable to give the uneasiness effect of infrasounds:  just listen to the  album heresy from lustmord (or track 3) . I  was told that headphone are commonly not able to reproduce that phenomenon, and that I  need good speakers. Except that I've experienced this on the srh940.

But yeah,  keep on the philosophy that the hd800 is always "best".
After that there's not much to discuss regarding the sound signature of the hd800.
It's not then surprising that the whole thread is almost just about which better source, amp, dac, cable ...etc  would be better for the hd800.

Very nicely put. I just saw a very nice debate between Tyll Hertsens and Steve Guttenberg regarding the merits of subjective listening versus objective measurements. Anyhow I was kind of taken aback when Tyll described the HD800 as "They are too bright and dont have good bass response" 0:59:47. I have to say personally for me those words mean a lot because that is exactly how I have found the HD800's to be. So guy's as I see it the debate has been settled by non other than Tyll Hertsens the Guru of measurments and all things headphones. The link is as follows
http://twit.tv/show/home-theater-geeks/133

Precisely why I am in the subjectivist camp....I could care less what they measure. They sound great to me....

Apr 7, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #1,751 of 28,992
Quote:
Mud and rock is a bad mix.  Just ends in a wall of sound where you wonder where your money went.

That's what I think, but seems like others have a totally different experience. Audezes did seem to me like a wall of sound, but they are loved and I heard the 3s described as great retrievers of detail. go fig...

Apr 7, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #1,753 of 28,992
Must say that I love the LCD2's with Jazz. They have a nice warm intimate sound that is great with piano trio's and the like. I havent missed them as much as I thought I would though, as the HD800's bigger- sharper picture with this sort of music is also very pleasing. 

Apr 7, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #1,754 of 28,992
That's what I think, but seems like others have a totally different experience. Audezes did seem to me like a wall of sound, but they are loved and I heard the 3s described as great retrievers of detail. go fig...

Yup, I dont get it. The LCD-2 and LCD-3 are much loved around here, as well as the HE-500, but for me the detail isnt there. Ive listened extensively and/or owned them and with most of the music I listen too, they sound thick and cloudy in the middle. I think its just personal preference - some people like lush and warm sound and some like articulate and detailed.

They can't touch the HE-6 and HD800s in that area.  IMO..

Ive been wanting to hear the HE-6 for a while now but we havent crossed paths yet.

I went to Magnolia AV today and auditioned all of the headphones they have displayed on their wall. I was curious to finally hear the Denon D600 (which turned out to be a disappointment as expected). K550, Momentums, A900x were also disappointing. The biggest surprise for me was the least expensive headphone on the wall - the HD 558! A bit grainy and not as open sounding as the HD 800 (from memory), but very very similar freq response and delivery. For the price one can get them for, they are an excellent affordable "back up" I think. Im going to buy a pair just to keep in my cabinet for a rainy day...

Apr 7, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #1,755 of 28,992
Quote:

Keep in mind the amps Tyll gets in are review samples and other people's personal amps that are in to be measured.  Tyll isn't Bruce Wayne, IF is his job.  Case in point Tyll loves the 009 but has said many times he can't personally afford the rig.

Are you saying Tyll is poor and not worthy of passing judgement on the HD800 because he personally does not own a $3000 headphone amp to run it with? Since when did you have to own something to evaluate its performance or how it shapes up with other equipment?  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back