The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Apr 7, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #1,726 of 28,992
Quote:

I agree ^.

But, just to clarify. IME, the Peak/Volcano easily had less bass (esp the lowest octaves) than the Beta22. I also think the HE6, LCD2 and by extension, LCD3, have more bass than the HD800. But, I've never found the Senns lacking and they remain my favorite headphones.

Thanks Shah

At least someones on my side..   

Just a jab at Solude.
wink_face.gif

However, I still like the HE-6 on my F1J better.  Again, However  lol...  The HD800 is now my 2nd favorite headphone.  The LCD-3 is slowing declining..

The last part is a jab at MacedonianHero 
wink_face.gif

Apr 7, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #1,727 of 28,992
Quote:
Lol, Solude. You could've saved thousands by just employing EQ and DSP. Game's up guys. Our first hand accounts are invalid. Tyll said so.
wink.gif

Going by Tyll's credentials I tend to regard his opinion highly. Cant find your website olor1n so as to find out how much experience you have in the audio/headphone business. 

Apr 7, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #1,728 of 28,992
Quote:
Lol, Solude. You could've saved thousands by just employing EQ and DSP.

You can't EQ in smooth grain free treble or deep tight bass :wink:

Went looking over Tyll page to see if I could gleem what gear he uses... no luck.  But I did find a graph that compares measurements and the 'ideal' is an LCD-3 so... ya.

Apr 7, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #1,729 of 28,992
I tried lcd3 on lehmann bcl, it sounds like am radio. The high roll off beyond my tolerance level. It may be good for general main stream music though, but I cant imagine enjoying classical music through lcd3?
How can a flagship have so much freq.imbalance?
What music do you think is the most suitable for lcd3?

On the contrary, almost 3 years since its release, I always bash hd800 tonality, overdampened bass, wongky sound, but after I listen classical thry 800, my opinion swing 180 degree. It's just magical!!! Not even electrostat come close (never heard stax with top notch amp tho).
The sound just floats, reverberation through walls are heard, magical!
I ordered one :)

Apr 7, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #1,730 of 28,992
Quote:

Never thought about upgrading to the LCD-3s?

Thought about it yes but to be worthwile it would need to be significantly better than the LCD2.2's and better than the HE6's & HD800's to be worth the extra exspence for me.
So far not really commited, but that may change.
wink.gif

Apr 7, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #1,731 of 28,992
Quote:

You can't EQ in smooth grain free treble or deep tight bass :wink:

Went looking over Tyll page to see if I could gleem what gear he uses... no luck.  But I did find a graph that compares measurements and the 'ideal' is an LCD-3 so... ya.

Found this link for you :

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelity-september-2012-update

Looks like tyll has a pretty good collection of amp to test the gear he gets. Never seen so many Amplifiers in one picture, and this seems to be his personal collection. That Cary audio amp looks really nice I have to say.

Apr 7, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #1,732 of 28,992
Lol, Solude. You could've saved thousands by just employing EQ and DSP. Game's up guys. Our first hand accounts are invalid. Tyll said so. :wink:

Going by Tyll's credentials I tend to regard his opinion highly. Cant find your website olor1n so as to find out how much experience you have in the audio/headphone business. 

With all due respect to Tyll, his take on the HD800, or any headphone, is hardly the last word. I'd wager he'd agree with this sentiment.

Fact of the matter is that there's always been a pattern in these threads where people complain of piercing treble or non existent bass. To those who've heard otherwise, it's quite evident what the root of the issue is (when it goes beyond mere preference).

I never said the HD800 had the "best" bass btw. I was merely trying to encourage you not to concede to the myth it lacks in that department.

Apr 7, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #1,734 of 28,992
Quote:
On the contrary, almost 3 years since its release, I always bash hd800 tonality, overdampened bass, wongky sound, but after I listen classical thry 800, my opinion swing 180 degree. It's just magical!!! Not even electrostat come close (never heard stax with top notch amp tho).
The sound just floats, reverberation through walls are heard, magical!
I ordered one
smily_headphones1.gif

Off   course ... I was allowed to try the hd800 on the store , where I bought them.
They plugged it in a big amp, I forgot the model.
So they've put classical cd.
Perfect .... Soundstage, instrument separation or whatever.
But I do not listen much to classical .
I was used to some thumping bass I got on my iem, and I was hoping, that the hd800 would be able to bring some kind of "bass excitement", so that I could forget once for all my "mid fi" iems.
So after  listening a while the classical cd, I thought it's impressive,   but couldn't stop  thinking where's da bass  either.
So I insisted that the seller , let me try a techno cd.
There were old titles playing  such like "what is love" from  Haddaway.
I  was much less impressed. I  just thought it could be ok, at least compared to my other mid-fi headphone,  and that I  could just appreciate were the hd800 shine, so I  took them anyway.

Apr 7, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #1,735 of 28,992
This is just a thought, but who did the build(s) on your B22 Solude?  I know preproman's is from AMB, but could there be some build choices (caps, resistors, wiring, etc.) that make it so you two are really not comparing the same amps?

Apr 7, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #1,736 of 28,992
Off   course ... I was allowed to try the hd800 on the store , where I bought them.
They plugged it in a big amp, I forgot the model.
So they've put classical cd.
Perfect .... Soundstage, instrument separation or whatever.
But I do not listen much to classical .
I was used to some thumping bass I got on my iem, and I was hoping, that the hd800 would be able to bring some kind of "bass excitement", so that I could forget once for all my "mid fi" iems.
So after  listening a while the classical cd, I thought it's impressive,   but couldn't stop  thinking where's da bass  either.
So I insisted that the seller , let me try a techno cd.
There were old titles playing  such like "what is love" from  Haddaway.
I  was much less impressed. I  just thought it could be ok, at least compared to my other mid-fi headphone,  and that I  could just appreciate were the hd800 shine, so I  took them anyway.

Yes, for Linkin Park, lcd2 is the one!! But I am not happy listening Kevin Kern through lcd2, it's just not enough air in the room, kinda a bit suffocated. When I switch to hd800 or even ad700, aaahhhh, what a breezeee, like someone suddendy turn on the aircon or open the window.
Both are excellent at specific music.

Apr 7, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #1,737 of 28,992
Quote:
This is just a thought, but who did the build(s) on your B22 Solude?  I know preproman's is from AMB, but could there be some build choices (caps, resistors, wiring, etc.) that make it so you two are really not comparing the same amps?

Prep is a YBM man, my first one was a Nugget Audio with black velvet pot and the second from SolderWorks with a TKD.  The B22 isn't a bad amp, it's just not top of the food chain especially for high impedance headphones and pre-amp use.  I considered adding some 50ohm resistors in parallel to put the mosfets back into their linear range but I just don't care that much.  GS-X mk2 is perfect right out of the box so... I'm done.  Kids can enjoy the B22, they're too young to care at 4 and 6 :p

Apr 7, 2013 at 1:11 PM Post #1,738 of 28,992
Quote:

All the B22s are AMB designs.  But YBM was the professional builder of my B22.  SWA is a beast as well.

I try to upgrade parts where I can.  I also do nothing but fully balanced (4 channels (boards))  No pre amp function just headphone use only.  No SE inputs or outputs Just balanced in and balanced out.

Your absolutely right jazzerdave.  There's a chance that all B22 builds are different in some way.

Mines certainly does give me world class bass.  

The GS-X  has the loop out that makes comparing amps really easy.  Using bass sweeps with the same headphone and the same source, it's pretty evident the B22 can go lower with more quantity.  Quality is a different story.  In my rigs.  It also beat out the BHA-1 and the Mjolnir..  Yes I had them in house for side by side.  I owned the BHA-1.

Apr 7, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #1,739 of 28,992
Quote:
Yes, for Linkin Park, lcd2 is the one!! But I am not happy listening Kevin Kern through lcd2, it's just not enough air in the room, kinda a bit suffocated. When I switch to hd800 or even ad700, aaahhhh, what a breezeee, like someone suddendy turn on the aircon or open the window.
Both are excellent at specific music.

I don't know, I just prefer HD800 for everything, including black metal (and Linkin park ,-) ), over LCD-2...
smily_headphones1.gif

(I actually bought LCD-2 first because people keep telling that HD800 are unbearable for modern music... silly me)

Apr 7, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #1,740 of 28,992
All the B22s are AMB designs.  But YBM was the professional builder of my B22.  SWA is a beast as well.

I try to upgrade parts where I can.  I also do nothing but fully balanced (4 channels (boards))  No pre amp function just headphone use only.  No SE inputs or outputs Just balanced in and balanced out.

Your absolutely right jazzerdave.  There's a chance that all B22 builds are different in some way.

Mines certainly does give me world class bass.  

The GS-X  has the loop out that makes comparing amps really easy.  Using bass sweeps with the same headphone and the same source, it's pretty evident the B22 can go lower with more quantity.  Quality is a different story.  In my rigs.  It also beat out the BHA-1 and the Mjolnir..  Yes I had them in house for side by side.  I owned the BHA-1.

I switched around my acronyms again. I have no idea why I switched up AMB and YBM, but it's no surprise to me - I do that type of thing far too often.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back