The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Apr 5, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #1,636 of 28,989
Quote:
Are there a carrying case that the 800s fit that will fit into a back pack?

I've searched and only found one on eBay that was pretty thin.

Quote:
I think you just need to get a bigger back pack the fit the big @$$ box it come in
biggrin.gif
. But seriously, I have not seen anything like that. When traveling, I pack then into a carry on in that big box -- sucks!

Quote:
I'm not sure it fit on a back pack, but look for "Hippo HD800 Travel Case".
Otherwise I use the pelicase 1400 (that do not fit on a back back, but still more convenient than the default big box).

I use the hippo case large (got it from Jaben with a  stand and a hippo biscuit for about $100):
SKU5221 Hippocase (L) with FREE CrossRoads Metal Headphone Stand and new Hippo Biscuit MP3 Player!
It's a semi-hard case so it's not gorilla proof one but it works.

Apr 5, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #1,637 of 28,989
Yes, they have a thinner compressed timbre that is not natural in stock form. It is caused by a dip in the mids followed by a wild swing up to 6k. It's not unlistenably bad, but still a fundamental flaw in a headphone that aims for supreme neutrality. It is extremely apparent if you listen to the high strings of an orchestra with well-recorded classical music.

Again, the tonality problem is not as prominent in every genre or track, but I can hear the problem in most any track. As for the soundstage, I purposely increased the high treble response (which our ears are not sensitive to) in order to increase the perceived airiness of the sound.

Apr 5, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #1,638 of 28,989
I use the hippo case large (got it from Jaben with a  stand and a hippo biscuit for about $100):
SKU5221Hippocase (L) with FREE CrossRoads Metal Headphone Stand and new Hippo Biscuit MP3 Player!
It's a semi-hard case so it's not gorilla proof one but it works.

Looks like a winner!!

Apr 5, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #1,639 of 28,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by juantendo8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

No more excessive brightness. No more thin and nasal tonality. All the technicalities and strengths of the stock HD800. The EQ shift was only about up and down 3dB. I'm sure EQ would really help the stock form also, but the mod makes the EQ simpler and less dramatic.

I am a newcomer to parametric EQ and realize that many do not want to have to learn the ropes, so I will post my exact EQ settings from Electri-Q (using Foobar2000):

Peak filter I - Freq: 4137.4     Gain: 5.8     BW: 1
Peak filter II - Freq: 5696.1     Gain: -6.1     BW: 1.1
Peak filter III - Freq: 20000     Gain: 3     BW: 3    
Gain filter - Freq: any     Gain: -3.3     BW: any

Tested your EQ settings, with same VST, but with stock hd800.
What I  notice:
- smaller soundstage
- less "laid back"
- reduced stereo separation, maybe decreasing the need of crossfeed
- a bit less sibilant
- sometimes it appears a bit more obviously harsh, although when I disable the eq, it just seem that "harshness"
is drowned in a lot of treble energy.
- some loss of treble texture , details
- perhaps a bit less thin, since it's more easy to separate some trebly part of music. But it's a bit gross.
I  still feel that some part of the "excitement" is gone, so that's mitigated.

Apr 5, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #1,640 of 28,989
I rather try to find the right synergy within the chain of components, than EQing my HD800 as I think it compromises the integrity of the intended sound signature.

Apr 5, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #1,642 of 28,989
Had the regular Cardas headphone cable but have now the Norse adapter,so I can use a balanced ALO chain mail intended for my LCD2.
This through a balanced Audio GD DAC and the Phoenix and I have no complaints!

Apr 5, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #1,643 of 28,989
Quote:
Tested your EQ settings, with same VST, but with stock hd800.
What I  notice:
- smaller soundstage
- less "laid back"
- reduced stereo separation, maybe decreasing the need of crossfeed
- a bit less sibilant
- sometimes it appears a bit more obviously harsh, although when I disable the eq, it just seem that "harshness"
is drowned in a lot of treble energy.
- some loss of treble texture , details
- perhaps a bit less thin, since it's more easy to separate some trebly part of music. But it's a bit gross.
I  still feel that some part of the "excitement" is gone, so that's mitigated.

Well, I really have no way to test this on a stock HD800 myself, as I don't feel like ripping out the foam inside mine. I can assure you that it is an improvement with the Anax 2.0 if you would ever be inclined to try it. Nothing fancy going on. Just flattening out the mids and treble some.

Apr 5, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #1,644 of 28,989
Quote:
Hifiman travel case should fit them.

Yep, fit with room to spare, just tested it out, you need either take out foam insert or modify it to the shape of HD800, I just use it w/o insert as this way it fits variety of phones.
It's also more compact than Hippo case.
http://www.head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=118#
Check ebay for cheaper prices.

Apr 5, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #1,645 of 28,989
Quote:
Yep, fit with room to spare, just tested it out, you need either take out foam insert or modify it to the shape of HD800, I just use it w/o insert as this way it fits variety of phones.
It's also more compact than Hippo case.
http://www.head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=118#
Check ebay for cheaper prices.

this case also fits perfectly on LCD 3

Apr 5, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #1,646 of 28,989
I rather try to find the right synergy within the chain of components, than EQing my HD800 as I think it compromises the integrity of the intended sound signature.

Anything colored at all compromises the signature. For instance, I might not use EQ on HD800s with my Leben, but it's definitely not the usual HD800 signature.

Apr 5, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #1,647 of 28,989
Of course I don't know what the by Sennheiser intended sound signature sounds like but I just try to tweak the HD800 by using(as you say "coloured" or not coloured)individual components to make it pleasant for my ears.
I refuse EQing because it always degrades the sound(at least for me).

Apr 5, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #1,648 of 28,989
I  have nothing against eq, but I found that any change with eq in the treble area, are  quite noticeable while using the hd800; even with the smoothest eq curve and small amounts.
At the end , I  think the hd800 has its "flavor", and I  don't want to detract it too much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back