The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Apr 4, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #1,606 of 28,989
Came to add my thoughts that cables do indeed make a difference-then noticed it was RustA you're squabbling with lol.

But to the guys that claim 'brain burn in': that doesn't account for a damn thing if I don't listen to the headphones while they are burning in-yet there are easily noticeable improvements many hours later on just a second relisten. Case in point ime: K702 and Pro 2900.

-Daniel

Apr 4, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #1,607 of 28,989
Quote:
Just switch between the hd800 and any headphone, you'd realize that the soundstage is always  bigger regardless of the cable.
Anyway, who cares of minor difference, that most likely are in your mind ?
People that just want to spend bucketload of money.

Huh?  What are you talking about?  He ask for proof of what can't be measured.  I replied with Sound Stage.  

Apr 4, 2013 at 6:04 PM Post #1,608 of 28,989
Quote:

Huh?  What are you talking about?  He ask for proof of what can't be measured.  I replied with Sound Stage.  

I suggested that you switch between the Hd800, and any headphone, to realize that the hd800 always stay better in the "Sound Stage" department , regardless of the cable. And what you can't measure, you might don't hear it as well.

Apr 4, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #1,609 of 28,989
I have a pair of brand new HD800 and I don´t like em so far. I feel that burn in is the culprit. How long do I need to cook these get some decent sound?

Apr 4, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #1,610 of 28,989
Others may disagree but my three pairs sounded the same out of the box as weeks later.  What's the rest of the rig?

Apr 4, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #1,611 of 28,989
Quote:
I have a pair of brand new HD800 and I don´t like em so far. I feel that burn in is the culprit. How long do I need to cook these get some decent sound?

Well most people  here would give you the advice to upgrade your source. What you don't like on the hd800 ?
I  don't think  the burning will change anything .

Apr 4, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #1,612 of 28,989

^^ As the other guys said, what is your source? Burn-in isn't going to fix something that's not broken (hd800s). If you're running it off your PC soundcard/iPad/iPhone you're going to be underwhelmed, those things just don't have the juice to run the headphones. If your source is good though, maybe the hd800s just aren't for you. There are alternatives...

Can we get a dedicated cable fight thread please? This thread doesn't need to get locked like the last one. There was a lot of good info in the last thread and now it's sunk to the bottom of the sea. I'd hate for that to happen again because we can't resist feeding the trolls.

Apr 4, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #1,613 of 28,989
Frankly I dont think the HD800 has any burn-in, mine sounds the same after 90hrs of use. Maybe its because of the ring driver I am not really sure. Or maybe these headphone go through some sort of burn-in process at the factory. Remember every HD800 come with its particular frequency response graph. And Sennheiser would not tolerate or want the sound signature of the headphone to change once it leaves the factory. This is top of the line stuff and the companies reputation banks on this product (Hand built and Made in Germany means something). The only burn-in will happen in your brain and ears once you get used to the HD800 sound. Its a awesome pair of headphones.

Apr 4, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #1,614 of 28,989
Quote:
 If you're running it off your PC soundcard/iPad/iPhone you're going to be underwhelmed, those things just don't have the juice to run the headphones

Well, look at these old posts :
http://www.head-fi.org/t/426508/sennheiser-hd800-appreciation-thread/4440#post_8430905
Not everyone is "underwhelmed".

Personally I think that the hd800 are not for everyone taste.

Apr 4, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #1,615 of 28,989
Well, look at these old posts :
http://www.head-fi.org/t/426508/sennheiser-hd800-appreciation-thread/4440#post_8430905
Not everyone is "underwhelmed".

Personally I think that the hd800 are not for everyone taste.

OK, well maybe some people aren't, and maybe the guy who said that has a great mobo and the maker didn't skimp on parts. Maybe the sound out of his board wasn't really all that hot and he didn't know the difference. All I know is that I've got a $250 Asus ROG board with a supposedly excellent outboard sound card (http://usa.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/MAXIMUS_V_FORMULATHUNDERFX/) and it sounds like absolute crap compared to even a lowly Aune T1.

The HD800s aren't to everyone's tastes, exactly. Maybe the poster should try some HE-500s or LCD 2s, but until we all know more about his setup, who knows.

Apr 4, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #1,616 of 28,989
Quote:
. All I know is that I've got a $250 Asus ROG board with a supposedly excellent outboard sound card (http://usa.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/MAXIMUS_V_FORMULATHUNDERFX/) and it sounds like absolute crap compared to even a lowly Aune T1.

Well  you are comparing a solid state amp to a tube one .... It might be, that you are just liking the tube sound.

Apr 4, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #1,617 of 28,989
They sound just fine on my Denon AVR too, and I'm sure no ***** were given in the design of the headphone out in that case either.

Apr 4, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #1,618 of 28,989
 I was being stupid lately and actually put my HD800s up for sale. I came to my senses thank God, but I did sell off a lot of my other gear including my Bifrost. Is there any DAC out there that will hold me over (similar to the Bifrost) until I can grab a high end/summit fi DAC? I'd love to pick up a Concero still, but would like to explore my options for a decent 'budget' (ugh, I hate that word when discussing the HD800s) DAC.

Apr 4, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #1,619 of 28,989
I've thought about selling the HD800 esp when I was just using the HE6 for a few months but I don't think I can ever sell them.

As for the dac in the price range the Concero is a very good value. It's a simple dac in terms of inputs/outputs and doesn't give much more than what people need. You have either usb or spdif in and then RCA outs. The dac is surprisingly good and I expected it to disappoint but it didn't. The only other dac I've heard in that price range that I could recommend is the Yulong D18 but that comes at a trade off between neutrality and smooth sounding. It has a smooth signature and definitely doesn't follow the rule that most dacs I've heard follows where the dac should have no sound and the color comes from the amp. Both are good but I prefer the D18 for the balanced outs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back