The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Apr 6, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #1,666 of 28,989
Peak is good for low impedance headphones but on the HD800 I thought it was somewhat thin and dry.  GS-X mk2 is neither.

Apr 6, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #1,669 of 28,989
Quote:

I totally agree , crossfeed is almost a must have with the hd800. This "dissociated" sound between left and right, is just too jarring for me.
I didn't have this problem with other headphone, perhaps because a layer of muddiness makes the separation less obvious.
Regarding treble, you are right, that some crossfeed tame it.

Here's what I get , when I analyze the default setting of BS2B:

You see that the frequencies are tamed by almost 2db, which in he case of hd800, is not necessarily a bad thing.

I wanted to analyze the side channel too , which represent the stereo separation ( (left-right)*0.5 ):

You see that the stereo separation is heavily reduced for the bass , below 500  hz.

I still think that crossfeed doesn't sound perfect, so it's a bit a frustrating experience, to decide either you turn it on or not.

I agree that HD800 benefits from crossfeed - it perfects the soundstage.

That said, try out some hardware-based one. The circuit in my StageDAC is extremely superior to anything software based I've tried before (BS2B, tb isone, Jriver's native, Redline etc.). Just a complete improvement without any degradation and without being too obvious (its implemenation into "stock" sound is subtle and very natural).

I am never again going to listen to my headphones without hardware crossfeed or device like Realiser, it's too crucial for me...

Apr 6, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #1,670 of 28,989
Quote:

I agree that HD800 benefits from crossfeed - it perfects the soundstage.

That said, try out some hardware-based one. The circuit in my StageDAC is extremely superior to anything software based I've tried before (BS2B, tb isone, Jriver's native, Redline etc.). Just a complete improvement without any degradation and without being too obvious (its implemenation into "stock" sound is subtle and very natural).

I am never again going to listen to my headphones without hardware crossfeed or device like Realiser, it's too crucial for me...

Well, I  imagine that the hardware based one could be superior. I  like to experiment with dsp, anyway ; I might create my own vst one day.

Apr 6, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #1,671 of 28,989
I wouldn't want to change the sound of the HD800's, they are the most transparent hp's I've heard. I've needed to equalize hp's in the past and I'm not against it. I just find it difficult to understand why anyone would need to with these. 

Any apparent flaws with a headphone of this calibre would surely of been sorted by now.. What's it 5 years its been in production? 

Equalize/crossfeed for personal taste, but don't kid yourself that you are correcting this world class hp. 

Apr 6, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #1,672 of 28,989
I am finding the bass to be too thin at times when listening to the HD800. I don't think that every song I listen to was meant to have thin bass. On some songs the bass seems to be non-existant its like I would be listening to a pair of tweeters. What am I doing wrong? And how can I fix this?

Apr 6, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #1,674 of 28,989
Quote:
I am finding the bass to be too thin at times when listening to the HD800. I don't think that every song I listen to was meant to have thin bass. On some songs the bass seems to be non-existant its like I would be listening to a pair of tweeters. What am I doing wrong? And how can I fix this?

it is possibly 2 things. 

1) it could be that you are a bass head and just like more bass than the rest of us HD800 fans like and should look at audezes 

2) your gear does not extend well enough or your source material is poorly recorded. HD 800 reveals all of it. my 2 cents. 

Apr 6, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #1,675 of 28,989
imo, if you consider using EQ on HD800, you might as well go back to HD 600/650.

Apr 6, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #1,676 of 28,989
I was listening to some trance last night and the bass was so well done it was addictive and I literally couldn't stop despite being up way later than I should have been.

Apr 6, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #1,677 of 28,989
Quote:
imo, if you consider using EQ on HD800, you might as well go back to HD 600/650.

My thoughts as well.  Or just a different headphone family altogether..

Quote:
it is possibly 2 things. 

1) it could be that you are a bass head and just like more bass than the rest of us HD800 fans like and should look at audezes 

2) your gear does not extend well enough or your source material is poorly recorded. HD 800 reveals all of it. my 2 cents. 

I'd say #2

Apr 6, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #1,678 of 28,989
Quote:

I found the mid-bass pretty strong/good, but then it's weaker below.
Listen to the title  Claude VonStroke "Who's Afraid of Detroit", and tell me if you still find the bass thin:

Apr 6, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #1,680 of 28,989
Quote:
I'm thinking Beats.

I think it depends on your EQ. I think HD800 are great without modding or EQ'ing. 

What I think happens is when people move up to better headphones aka hd800 (and I am not saying this is the case here, just in general), they come from cans that are designed to compensate for crappy low fi digital downloads with emphasized lower mid-range and bass. As many of us move up, we get the good cans and improve the rest our systems subsequently (not all, but many of us). The result is oftentimes the combination of 1) upstream components that perform below the level needed for fine instruments like the HD800 and 2) ears/brain that are used to emphasized lower frequencies from the use of lesser headphones. 

Then again, anyone reading it should not get bogged down by what some feels is better or worse. If you dont like it, ditch it. Life is too short. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back