The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jul 16, 2023 at 2:46 AM Post #28,831 of 28,989
Just listened to a pair of low serial hd800 today. The sound is wide but little “hard”sounding. The mids is less nuanced compared to my hd800S. And the treble is quite irritating sometimes. But when coming back to my hd800S I just feel like being locked in a small room but get used after a while. Actually for a long listening section I may prefer my hd800S made in Ireland:)

Jul 16, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #28,832 of 28,989
I would have hunted down a used pair of the original HD800 instead...they still show up second hand under $1k. driven by a quality tube amp they outperform the S model.

I'm always a little dubious when people say an older headphone is better than a newer one. A number of years back when Beyerdynamic started rolling out the tesla line there were people who would die on the hill that the DT-48s were the best headphone Beyer ever put out. Similarly, there's people to this day who swear AKG's K501s are the best headphones they've ever put out.

Then again I relentlessly shill for the HE-500, so I'm kind of in a glass house.

Jul 16, 2023 at 1:51 PM Post #28,833 of 28,989
I'm always a little dubious when people say an older headphone is better than a newer one. A number of years back when Beyerdynamic started rolling out the tesla line there were people who would die on the hill that the DT-48s were the best headphone Beyer ever put out. Similarly, there's people to this day who swear AKG's K501s are the best headphones they've ever put out.

Then again I relentlessly shill for the HE-500, so I'm kind of in a glass house.
Objectively and subjectively there are a lot of headphones that got worse with newer revisions. Always dependent on taste of course. The LCD2 line, Beyer T1 line, some prefer the og HD800 etc... then there will always be the DT800 is better than the T1 camp, and the HD600 is better than the HD800 camp etc...

I got a HD58X recently and it's just great all around. It's easy to drive, has killer tonality and is not picky of upstream gear as well as being able to scale with gear matching. Still need to do a just comparison with the rest in my collection, but, it's definitely a endgame in it's price range and above, depending on taste and all that of course...

Jul 17, 2023 at 3:35 AM Post #28,834 of 28,989
When the S model got introduced we got together at The Source AV to test and compare them to the original HD800. The Source AV had had TOTL Woo, Cavalli, etc. amps at their disposal. I remember the consensus was that if you don't have TOTL, preferably tube, amplification, you are better off with the S model. Otherwise, though, it was rather obvious to these ears that driven through one of those monster amps, the HD800 outshined the S model, rather easily.

Newer is not necessarily better. Sure, the marketing wants you to believe that b/c it's good for business. When I got my HD800 SA modded plus hardwired with a Cardas Clear cable the results were jaw dropping. Mind you, those were not my jaws, but guests, who usually come by to take a listen. I'm done with chasing my tail in this hobby of ours. If money will permit one day, I will replace my Woo WA8 to a DNA Stellaris, but other than that, I'm pretty much all set.

Jul 17, 2023 at 9:16 AM Post #28,835 of 28,989
I would have hunted down a used pair of the original HD800 instead...they still show up second hand under $1k. driven by a quality tube amp they outperform the S model.

I got a used pair of HD800 a few weeks ago for cheaper than I thought, the previous owner had installed the SDR mod, I removed it. Voices sound way better without that mod for sure.

I do have a tube amp but I haven't got a balanced cable for the HD800 yet.

Jul 18, 2023 at 6:04 AM Post #28,836 of 28,989

The reason to this overall observation in general IMO is because the first gens of the previous reference cans were made for true audiophile audience - on the other hand, the more recent TOTL cans are made with mainstream audience's sound signature preference in mind. I prefer technical prowess of the OG HD800 and T1 over their warmer later generations.

I've been away from Head Fi for a long time and it is good to see that some people post the hype phase comes back to their senses and appreciates the OGs more like I do. I thought the HD800 was easily the more capable set of cans vs the HD800S when I auditioned them.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2023 at 4:55 PM Post #28,838 of 28,989
IMG_6474.jpeg

My refurbished friend.

Sep 3, 2023 at 5:11 PM Post #28,840 of 28,989
Are they Dekoni pads. I put a pair on mine recently. Very impressive.
Hi my good man. They are perforated sheepskin leather pads made by Geekria. Not too expensive at all. The headband is a microsuede material made by Defean. Again. Very reasonably priced. I’ve had my HD 800 (OG) for 12 years now. I think it is pretty obvious I’m never selling it for various reasons and I surely belong in this camp here. ☺️

Sep 3, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #28,841 of 28,989
Hi my good man. They are perforated sheepskin leather pads made by Geekria. Not too expensive at all. The headband is a microsuede material made by Defean. Again. Very reasonably priced. I’ve had my HD 800 (OG) for 12 years now. I think it is pretty obvious I’m never selling it for various reasons and I surely belong in this camp here. ☺️
Thanks. Yes they are great headphones.

Sep 3, 2023 at 5:35 PM Post #28,842 of 28,989
does it reduce the 6k peak? I imagine it amplifies it.

It does reduce it slightly but there's still a lot of details. Once you get used to it, the new pads are never going to be removed again. Comfort is a big plus as well.

12 years and still so new ! Very impressive. Mine's 6 years old now but still looking new. I look after mine very well. I have Susvara as my main headphone now but I alternate it with the HD800. Many headphones have come and gone but HD800 stayed.

All these are gone:- Audeze LCD2f, LCD3f, LCDX, LCD4, ZMF Atticus, Eikon, Verite LTD open, HiFiMan He1000se, Arya. Beyer DT880 pro, T1.

I use HD800 to evaluate tubes and tube amps. :) It's great listening to music too.

Sep 3, 2023 at 5:56 PM Post #28,843 of 28,989

You ever send them into Sennheiser to be refurbished?

Sep 3, 2023 at 6:32 PM Post #28,844 of 28,989
It does reduce it slightly but there's still a lot of details. Once you get used to it, the new pads are never going to be removed again. Comfort is a big plus as well.

12 years and still so new ! Very impressive. Mine's 6 years old now but still looking new. I look after mine very well. I have Susvara as my main headphone now but I alternate it with the HD800. Many headphones have come and gone but HD800 stayed.

All these are gone:- Audeze LCD2f, LCD3f, LCDX, LCD4, ZMF Atticus, Eikon, Verite LTD open, HiFiMan He1000se, Arya. Beyer DT880 pro, T1.

I use HD800 to evaluate tubes and tube amps. :) It's great listening to music too.
have you try the suede pad? the suede pad suppose to subdue the mids a little

Users who are viewing this thread

Back