The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jul 12, 2023 at 3:42 AM Post #28,816 of 28,989
I'm using this tube amp with HD800 at the moment. It is the best tone in the world.

IMG_6813.jpg

Jul 12, 2023 at 4:03 AM Post #28,817 of 28,989
Yes I only change recently to the ZMF pads. At first I didn't like the slightly warmer tone but gradually I got use to it and the comfort is much better.

And youre not on stock cable anymore

I can imagine tube warmness works nicely with HD800's treble

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2023 at 4:26 AM Post #28,819 of 28,989
Some damn nice looking rigs gracing the page of this thread ... just lovely, folks! Thank you. :)

I use nothing at all in the signal path. All functions on the Mac that could color the music are disabled. I did use EQ back when running JRiver, at the infamous 6kHz region like everyone else, but now, having switched to Roon, I find no need to use EQ at all. Which I prefer ... because EQ does present somewhat of a veil. I am just enjoying pure, direct, nearly perfect analogue sound.

Also, I would never mess around with the HD800 bass; to me, it sounds just perfectly realistic. And don't forget ... the HD800 will always sound thin, bassless and too bright until they're properly driven.

I had to google "SDR mod" and no, I don't use it or any mods at all, just aftermarket cables from Wywires. My HD800 are stock and both pair are around SN33xxx or so. I keep two pair so me and the wife Annette can listen to Joe Bonamassa DVDs together. That's a blast.

I did hear the HD800S once, at a headphone meet, and didn't care for them. They sounded like the HD800 with a sock stuffed inside. And the HD820 ... forget it. Ugh.

As always YMMV .... and, happy listening.
I agree. I find the hd800 has enough bass as they are.

Jul 12, 2023 at 11:02 AM Post #28,822 of 28,989
I don't think that new HD800 are available any longer, been discontinued in favor of the S and HD820.

I've heard some horror stories about changing pads on the HD800 and destroying the SQ, happy to hear y'all have found pad options that work. My HD800 still have original pads (and I treat them gently).

For me HD800 needs a tube amp. ymmv.
The best I ever heard HD800 sound was at a headphone meet back in maybe 2014. Dan Clark was here showing off his new Ether headphones, and he brought his rig. It was Schiit Yggdrasil - Woo Audio WA5 or Schiit Ragnarok. Switchable between the amps. The HD800 sounded good with the Ragnarok amp, but the SQ from the WA5 just blew me away. That was the day my journey to properly drive the HD800 started. I never went the tube route, personally, there are rabbit holes, but I did wind up with the Bryston that does a good job and isn't warm ... my preference is as neutral an amp as possible.
ps. I don't know what tubes Dan was using in his WA5, but it didn't sound warm to me.

Jul 12, 2023 at 1:55 PM Post #28,823 of 28,989
Is the hd800S that bad compared to the og hd800?:frowning2: just bought one 2022 version of hd800S instead of a good deal with a high-serial silver hd800
If ever you're in the market for an early S/N HD800 (under 15K, with the more technical tuning) I have one lying around that I can part with for a better home :)

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jul 12, 2023 at 2:14 PM Post #28,824 of 28,989
The best I ever heard HD800 sound was at a headphone meet back in maybe 2014. Dan Clark was here showing off his new Ether headphones, and he brought his rig. It was Schiit Yggdrasil - Woo Audio WA5 or Schiit Ragnarok. Switchable between the amps. The HD800 sounded good with the Ragnarok amp, but the SQ from the WA5 just blew me away. That was the day my journey to properly drive the HD800 started. I never went the tube route, personally, there are rabbit holes, but I did wind up with the Bryston that does a good job and isn't warm ... my preference is as neutral an amp as possible.
ps. I don't know what tubes Dan was using in his WA5, but it didn't sound warm to me.

I have Yggdrasil and my friend loan me the WA5 with Takatsuki 300b tubes with good Brimar drivers. It's good but my current tube amps sound better. My opinion of course. I did have Ragnarok at one time but sold it.

Jul 12, 2023 at 2:45 PM Post #28,825 of 28,989
We were all just amazed that Dan went to the trouble of bringing his gear from CA to Tennessee. That must have been one helluva chore. He did sell a few pair of the Ethers at that meet, as I recall. :)

Jul 12, 2023 at 3:25 PM Post #28,827 of 28,989
Some day I will bring my gear from Sydney to Tennessee. :)
That would be cool ... they still have headphone meets out to Tom's @kilkil house on Center Hill Lake. He posts invitations on the meet thread page.
Then travel light over to Nashville for the live music that never stops. :)

Jul 12, 2023 at 5:52 PM Post #28,828 of 28,989
That would be cool ... they still have headphone meets out to Tom's @kilkil house on Center Hill Lake. He posts invitations on the meet thread page.
Then travel light over to Nashville for the live music that never stops. :)
Sounds like fun. I don't yet have any dates planned for the next meet, so I'm open to suggestions.

Jul 15, 2023 at 8:02 PM Post #28,830 of 28,989
I would have hunted down a used pair of the original HD800 instead...they still show up second hand under $1k. driven by a quality tube amp they outperform the S model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back