The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Oct 7, 2020 at 7:47 AM Post #28,381 of 28,992
What would you guys recommend to grab a tube amp for the HD800?
I currently have the Little Dot Mk 2 w/ Mullard CV4010.

Was thinking either WA22 or Little Dot MK VIII SE.
Any other recommendations?

I enjoy them more on my SMSL SP200 more than my LD MK2 currently
I have tried the WA33 with my hd800 and it sounded amazing. Also got a chance to try it out with other cans (lcd3 and arya) but the hd800 was the best pairing for me. Not sure how the WA22 is but if its on the same track with the WA33 then I would highly recommend it. No experience with Little dot so cant really compare the two.

Oct 7, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #28,382 of 28,992
What would you guys recommend to grab a tube amp for the HD800?
I currently have the Little Dot Mk 2 w/ Mullard CV4010.

Was thinking either WA22 or Little Dot MK VIII SE.
Any other recommendations?

I enjoy them more on my SMSL SP200 more than my LD MK2 currently
I have owned the wa2 and hd800 probably for about 5 years.
It’s a great combo. The wa2 is very silky smooth with the hd800 and surprisingly (to me) has a great level of detail coming through

but it is very limited re what you can pair it with. it is best with high impedance headphones
some lower impedance hps work with it and some don’t at all (bloomy bottom end)- that’s its biggest limitation

Vs the wa22 if you want one of these woo amps specifically for the hd800 then the wa2 is the best option but if you want a more versatile amp then the wa22 comes to the party and is still good with the hd800

have a look at these links
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-beauty-and-the-beast-woo-wa2-vs-wa22.615810/

https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...1059475471/wooaudio_amplifier_comparisons.pdf
that is an old chart

my 2c

Oct 8, 2020 at 10:12 PM Post #28,383 of 28,992
Thanks everyone for the insight and knowledge, I will check those products out.

I have owned the wa2 and hd800 probably for about 5 years.
It’s a great combo. The wa2 is very silky smooth with the hd800 and surprisingly (to me) has a great level of detail coming through

but it is very limited re what you can pair it with. it is best with high impedance headphones
some lower impedance hps work with it and some don’t at all (bloomy bottom end)- that’s its biggest limitation

Vs the wa22 if you want one of these woo amps specifically for the hd800 then the wa2 is the best option but if you want a more versatile amp then the wa22 comes to the party and is still good with the hd800

have a look at these links
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-beauty-and-the-beast-woo-wa2-vs-wa22.615810/

https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...1059475471/wooaudio_amplifier_comparisons.pdf
that is an old chart

my 2c

Definitely will have a read over the weekend here. Thank you very much!

Oct 10, 2020 at 11:25 PM Post #28,384 of 28,992
Sorry if this is discussed before, and I am sure it has. However, many threads are 2-3 years old.

What I am looking for is a budget amp/dac combo that works well with the hd800. This of course includes taming the 6k peak a bit. Looking to spend around 300USD.

Also, can someone tell me if I can do a DIY SDR mod? It would be awesome if I could buy some comply tips, for example, and install, rather than buy from Europe in these times.

Thanks!!

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2020 at 6:47 AM Post #28,385 of 28,992
Sorry if this is discussed before, and I am sure it has. However, many threads are 2-3 years old.

What I am looking for is a budget amp/dac combo that works well with the hd800. This of course includes taming the 6k peak a bit. Looking to spend around 300USD.

Also, can someone tell me if I can do a DIY SDR mod? It would be awesome if I could buy some comply tips, for example, and install, rather than buy from Europe in these times.

Thanks!!

As a DAC amp combo something like the Chord Mojo should be high on your list.

Oct 11, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #28,386 of 28,992

Thanks!!

Probably used at that price. The least expensive new with excellent sonics I can think of is the Jot w/ multibit for $599. If you do that, get a balanced cable since the Jot puts out a good deal more into balanced than SE.

Oct 11, 2020 at 10:38 AM Post #28,387 of 28,992

Thanks!!
Innerfidelity had info re sdr mod and the previous anax mod (which worked great for me). The anax mod had some felt placed inside ear cup.

tyl on inner fidelity even had a template to use.

however since innerfidelity is now dead I don’t know if you can go straight to the source.
maybe see if his (innerfidelity) youtube videos might help or look at this and other forums.

re dac/amp you have a very limited budget.

however i started with a simple odac and o2 setup and enjoyed the hd800 (it was fine) and as time went on i upgraded my gear and the hd800 got even better. nothing wrong with building up your system overtime around the hd800(s)

sorry I can’t help with any suggestions except to say do some homework and look for some second hand gear where you will get more bang for your buck

all the best

Oct 13, 2020 at 8:58 AM Post #28,388 of 28,992
I pulled the trigger on the LD MK 8. Apos has it on sale and gonna receive it soon. Excited to try it with my HD800 and HD820

Nov 2, 2020 at 6:34 PM Post #28,389 of 28,992
I can't see a different thread related specifically to the HD800S so hopefully, my question around this headphone here will be OK.
I recently purchased the Drop Carbon X balanced Amp for my HD800S. I have it paired with the original BiFrost Dac and am using the included cables with the headphone for balanced. I am finding the setup a bit harsh or sibilant, especially female voices. Is this normal for this combination and should I look to move to another DAC/Amp?

Nov 2, 2020 at 6:43 PM Post #28,390 of 28,992
800S I don't know, but the 800 is not a good choice with female vocals in many cases. Only EQ can fix it.

Nov 2, 2020 at 8:10 PM Post #28,392 of 28,992
Different stroke for different folks. I find the HD800 to be exemplary with female vocals. Maybe system-dependent.

Nov 2, 2020 at 10:36 PM Post #28,393 of 28,992
Any tips on the EQ I could use? I mostly use Spotify, but I do have some lossless stuff in FooBar.

the sibilance is subjective on the person but if you want to look into a system where u turn on immediately a hybrid tube system such as monoprice platinum or tubes can help.
I do find that spotify/youtube quality songs are very sibilant regardless of amp/dac I use.

Nov 2, 2020 at 11:05 PM Post #28,394 of 28,992
My experience with the 800 (not the 800S) is it will deliver the SQ of the upstream gear, with precision.

If it's harsh it's because the signal being fed it, has that quality to it.
Granted the 800/800S may 'add' to that harshness, but it has to be in the signal in the 1st place in order to be 'added' to.

JJ

Nov 3, 2020 at 1:39 AM Post #28,395 of 28,992
Any tips on the EQ I could use? I mostly use Spotify, but I do have some lossless stuff in FooBar.
Equalizer APO if you're using Windows is the best Parametric EQ afaik. It might be helpful to use the FR points from autoeq of the HD800 here and play around the values to your liking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back