The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Aug 31, 2020 at 3:20 PM Post #28,351 of 28,989
why is he cardas clear cable so popular for hd800?

Aug 31, 2020 at 8:08 PM Post #28,352 of 28,989
Aug 31, 2020 at 8:36 PM Post #28,353 of 28,989
Word of mouth. Never heard it myself.
I know about 10 hd800 owner irl half of them have the cardas clear or one of the moon audio cables so im just kinda curious.

Aug 31, 2020 at 9:34 PM Post #28,354 of 28,989
I know about 10 hd800 owner irl half of them have the cardas clear or one of the moon audio cables so im just kinda curious.

Well not that I belong to the all cables sound alike school - which I do not:

Yes word of mouth, also the 800 had and still has a certain elite feeling to it, so get the best amp, cables, pads to get the most out of it.

I tend NOT to buy retail from high end dealers, which cuts down my access to quite a bit of fancy stuff. That's my excuse for not having heard all the current fancy cables. It could be a time thing. Hmmmm... check out 5 fancy cables, or do what my buddy whose ears I trust did with the 800? Easy.

Or based on no input but reviews, take a stab - could work out, or it might not, or worst of all, get influenced by a sales guy into buying something that could be duplicated at 13% or 22% of the price.

Each individual case is different. I do buy/build above the Amazon cables most of the time, but after my used $150 power cable held up against a $5k unit back in the 90's, I sure can see the other side.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2020 at 9:57 PM Post #28,355 of 28,989
That Dekoni graph makes it look like someone thought, gee the biggest problem with the HD800 is it has too much bass and too small of a 7k spike, so I got the solution right here with these pads!

Sep 1, 2020 at 2:42 AM Post #28,356 of 28,989

Depends where you live. In Europe, customcans makes great cables for fair prices.

Sep 5, 2020 at 4:52 AM Post #28,357 of 28,989
I've owned HD800S in the past and while they were nice I couldn't help shake a comment I read saying "HD800S sounds like they removed all the energy from the original". Ever since I'd been set on trying the original. I ended up finding a pair used and replaced the pads and headband with authentic ones. They were pretty much perfect, right inline with my preferences and the source hunting began. Juggling through sources I picked up a peak in the mid-treble region, (the one mentioned around 6k). Its boderline on my threshold and stands out more on certain track and volume level, just needs that edge taken off.

I'm usually against EQ but gave in to adding a small decrease 1-2db using the default foobar2000 EQ, the changes where there but I was wanting more, to dial in exactly where the peak is and get the job done while minizing effect on the rest of the response.

I dug around and found this DSP plug-in called Mathaudio Headphone EQ, it uses a sweep tone to find the exact position of the peak and adjust it with much flexlbltity

I'll leave a link to the instructions and the free version (there is a paid version but free one is enough for me)

https://mathaudio.com/headphone-eq.htm

I'm still going to roll sources, atm my DAC is in for repair so using JDS Labs The Element.

hd800 eq.PNG

Sep 18, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #28,358 of 28,989
why is he cardas clear cable so popular for hd800?
i have demoed the cardas clear - it enriched the mids in a semi-big inviting way.
really sweetens them up

for me, it was a bit too mid focussed. for me. it was not necessarily overdone but i wanted a different sound - more detail right across the board as i am already using the woo wa2.

I do understand why people enjoy this offering

Sep 30, 2020 at 6:40 PM Post #28,359 of 28,989
I just received my HD800. I'm not 100% sure where people are getting this 6khz peak fatigue from. I don't even think I wanna SDR mod this. The bass is clean and fast.
I originally got the HD820 because my original purchase of HD800s took forever to get to me and they just ended up providing me the HD820 instead.

After 4+ months of reading about the HD800 having a peak and fatiguing, I don't really see where people get how it is OVERWHELMINGLY terrible to the point where don't like it. I even tested with really high pitch 8-bit music to most Nintendo game soundtracks and don't hear it. I can kind of see on some songs it may be harsh for some people but honestly, when I first got my HD820, the treble on those were more piercing than my HD800.

I played both from my SMSL M200 + SMSL SP200 and I enjoy the HD800 better, granted my dog isn't freaking out then I swap to HD820.

Is there something wrong with me?

EDIT: I also thought I was gonna have to Tube these but I don't think I need to. Just wow.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2020 at 6:47 PM Post #28,360 of 28,989
I just received my HD800. I'm not 100% sure where people are getting this 6khz peak fatigue from. I don't even think I wanna SDR mod this. The bass is clean and fast.
I originally got the HD820 because my original purchase of HD800s took forever to get to me and they just ended up providing me the HD820 instead.

After 4+ months of reading about the HD800 having a peak and fatiguing, I don't really see where people get how it is OVERWHELMINGLY terrible to the point where don't like it. I even tested with really high pitch 8-bit music to most Nintendo game soundtracks and don't hear it. I can kind of see on some songs it may be harsh for some people but honestly, when I first got my HD820, the treble on those were more piercing than my HD800.

I played both from my SMSL M200 + SMSL SP200 and I enjoy the HD800 better, granted my dog isn't freaking out then I swap to HD820.

Is there something wrong with me?

EDIT: I also thought I was gonna have to Tube these but I don't think I need to. Just wow.

It really depends what amp/dac you have and how treble sensitive you are. Some people the peak bothers, some people it doesn't.

The advantage of the peak is it makes the headphone soundstage seem even larger than the HD800S. The disadvantage is for some people it is indeed fatiguing especially at high volumes.

Sep 30, 2020 at 6:54 PM Post #28,361 of 28,989
It really depends what amp/dac you have and how treble sensitive you are. Some people the peak bothers, some people it doesn't.

The advantage of the peak is it makes the headphone soundstage seem even larger than the HD800S. The disadvantage is for some people it is indeed fatiguing especially at high volumes.

I guess that I am very lucky, I'm still baffled how I cringed at some songs cause of the treble spike in the HD820 vs these HD800. I think it may be the reflecting resonance from the closed back I didn't like at the start.

I am used to the closed back sound and lack of a better description the "reflective" sound I get and I really appreciate both of these headphones.

Sep 30, 2020 at 7:07 PM Post #28,362 of 28,989
I guess that I am very lucky, I'm still baffled how I cringed at some songs cause of the treble spike in the HD820 vs these HD800. I think it may be the reflecting resonance from the closed back I didn't like at the start.

I am used to the closed back sound and lack of a better description the "reflective" sound I get and I really appreciate both of these headphones.
The odd part is the hd820 has the loweat treble response of any of the hd800 series.

Sep 30, 2020 at 7:15 PM Post #28,363 of 28,989
The odd part is the hd820 has the loweat treble response of any of the hd800 series.

This is why I am extremely confused

Sep 30, 2020 at 8:43 PM Post #28,364 of 28,989
This is why I am extremely confused
Well the ear/brain hears open backs differently than closed backs. There is obviously more sound pressure with a closed back. So perhaps your ear is reacting to this increased sound pressure in terms of treble

Sep 30, 2020 at 9:13 PM Post #28,365 of 28,989
Um, perhaps it's just a syntax discrepancy, but "the ear/brain hears open backs differently than closed backs" is incorrect.
The the ear/brain hears open backs in the same way as closed backs, but the acoustic pressure presented will be different, which is true for every HP.

And as for "There is obviously more sound pressure with a closed back" again I would disagree since a driver firing into a cavity that is 'closed' will have a 'harder' time delivering an acoustic pressure wave than an open cavity.
This can be compared to a sealed speaker vs a ported speaker and the relative efficiency differences between them.

Just my 2¢

JJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back