The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Aug 11, 2020 at 2:57 PM Post #28,336 of 28,989
@joseph69 Thankyou!

Another example of a hardwired 800.
This shows the wire gauge difference between stock and monstrously oversized (18g) wire.
HD800 hrdwyr mod wire gauge .jpg

This is after surgery has been completed.
HD800 hrdwyr mod done.jpg

As you can see I LIKE big wires, everywhere…
hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

JJ
Thanks John!
I just ordered some soldering wire (oyaide ss47) and will practice on soldering in the meanwhile. Would love to make some diy cables for my iem also.

Aug 11, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #28,337 of 28,989
It’s interesting to actually see the diameter of the cable attached to the female inner end. it makes me wonder whats the point in paying so much for aftermarket cables such as Cardas et al
?, when they end up connecting to such thin wires internally!. One would guess that in order to get the benefit of using enhanced cabling then that cabling should run from phono or balance connector all the way to the transducers themselves?.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2020 at 3:55 PM Post #28,338 of 28,989
It’s interesting to actually see the diameter of the cable attached to the female inner end. it makes me wonder whats the point in paying so much for aftermarket cables such as Cardas et al
?, when they end up connecting to such thin wires internally!. One would guess that in order to get the benefit of using enhanced cabling then that cabling should run from phono or balance connector all the way to the transducers themselves?.
After seeing the picture John (and wormsdriver) posted, I wondered abit too. The internal wires are as small as those iem cables so are there any point in after market cables especially the ones that cost $500 and up, wouldnt the signal be reduced to the smaller internal wire?

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2020 at 7:22 PM Post #28,339 of 28,989
I kinda wonder if those tiny internal wires are a form of 'dampening' resistor, because they are even smaller than the internal wires used in their stock cable. It made very little sense to me but then I figure that Senn has a reason and using a chunk of wire that small could be a resistive element, which makes mores sense than anything else I can come up with.

One additional note about hardwiring…
Use as little amount of heat (use a low wattage iron) in as short an amount of time to solder the lead in wires to the solder posts on the driver.
Mostly because the surrounding structure is plastic and you do not want to melt any of that.

JJ

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2020 at 9:20 PM Post #28,340 of 28,989
Another example of a hardwired 800.
This shows the wire gauge difference between stock and monstrously oversized (18g) wire.
HD800 hrdwyr mod wire gauge .jpg

This is after surgery has been completed.
HD800 hrdwyr mod done.jpg

As you can see I LIKE big wires, everywhere…
hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

JJ
I noticed on your mod the positive lead is on the top tab (with the cable going downwards) and on my photo with the stock wires the positive lead is on bottom.
Which one is right? Does matter as long as both drivers are wire the same, right?
IMG_20200729_012843.jpg

Aug 11, 2020 at 9:57 PM Post #28,341 of 28,989
As long as both L&R are wired the same no it doesn't make any difference EXCEPT for absolute polarity.

In my rig I can control absolute polarity quite easily so it wasn't a big deal for me.
And it can be quite easily 'corrected' at the TRRS or 4 pin XLR connector, rather than at the drivers themselves.

And here is a pic of my original wiring, that I used for the re-wire, just for reference.

HD800 mod orig wiring.jpg

JJ

Aug 12, 2020 at 2:53 AM Post #28,342 of 28,989
Small wires for short runs where there is not much current are ok. There is a theoretical benefit to going with larger wire diameter for longer runs but if you look at the books, current and voltage capacity for even thin wire is surprisingly high.

Aug 12, 2020 at 3:01 AM Post #28,343 of 28,989
Yes that is very true, especially for steady state signals.
But with music and it's propensity for wide dynamic range, a wide frequency bandwidth, and 'intermittant' signals, the static measurements made to determine the current carrying capacity of wire, while using a fixed or limited bandwidth, can lead to misleading conclusions.

JJ

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2020 at 3:04 AM Post #28,344 of 28,989
Yes that is very true, especially for steady state signals.
But with music and it's propensity for wide dynamic range, a wide frequency bandwidth, and 'intermittant' signals, the static measurements made to determine the current carrying capacity while using a fixed or limited bandwidth, can lead to misleading conclusions.

JJ

I agree with that but it is not an issue at audio frequencies. So we don't have the concern in hifi setups.

Aug 12, 2020 at 3:53 AM Post #28,345 of 28,989
Yes that also is true IF you are only paying attention to the audio bandwidth.
But music contains signals that are definitely not stead state in all 3 domains (voltage, current, frequency) which is not how wire capability is measured and then rated.

Which consequently can help to explain why over sized conductors can definitely make a difference.
I have proven this to myself over and over again in my experiments involving power and signal delivery.

JJ

Aug 13, 2020 at 1:56 AM Post #28,346 of 28,989
Apologies I meant around the outer ear, I appreciate that they don’t touch the ear itself or shouldn’t but what about lateral pressure from the pad onto the head. Mine do feel comfortable granted!. Maybe my pads are a little worn and consequently the foam has a lower resistance making them feel a tad slack?.

I had the HD 800 and the HD 600. The HD 600 clamp (pad-to-head) much tighter. There were times when I thought the HD 800 would fall off my head in comparison, but they never did--the HD 800 doesn't really make its presence known once it's on your head and that quality makes it one of the most comfortable headphones I have owned.

Aug 15, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #28,348 of 28,989
I had the HD 800 and the HD 600. The HD 600 clamp (pad-to-head) much tighter. There were times when I thought the HD 800 would fall off my head in comparison, but they never did--the HD 800 doesn't really make its presence known once it's on your head and that quality makes it one of the most comfortable headphones I have owned.

The 600 clamp is true vice-grip on your head no doubt. The good news is it makes Beyer DTs child's play :D

Aug 18, 2020 at 1:13 AM Post #28,349 of 28,989
They look like the ones Geekria sells. I don't believe those are the same as the Dekoni.

If those are the only ones available for you to purchase I would go for it. I almost bought the Geekria. The reason I chose the Dekoni is that I have a set of their pads on my T5p made from the softest memory foam I have ever touched. Unfortunately, the HD800 pads seem to be made from a different type of foam - still comfy, yet not as soft as the other ones.

Be aware, however, that I recently purchased a set of Accessory House pads for my Denon D2000 and I had to send them back. The AH Fostex/Denon pads are stiff and uncomfortable -- I could only use the D2000 for around 10 minutes or so at a time.

Hi elvergun,

I hope you are well. I was away, not doing much of head-fi. Photography is an equally challenging hobby for me :D

I read your response a couple of times and realized the I was going to buy from Accessory House, so many reviewers say that leather pads made a worse sound effect and they ended up sending it back. Even on Dekoni website, the FR graph shows that there is a drop in the lower end. But people claim that they are listening to a boost in the lower end? How is that even possible?

Could you or anyone please explain this

1597727631491.png

Aug 18, 2020 at 8:43 AM Post #28,350 of 28,989
Hi elvergun,

I hope you are well. I was away, not doing much of head-fi. Photography is an equally challenging hobby for me :D

I read your response a couple of times and realized the I was going to buy from Accessory House, so many reviewers say that leather pads made a worse sound effect and they ended up sending it back. Even on Dekoni website, the FR graph shows that there is a drop in the lower end. But people claim that they are listening to a boost in the lower end? How is that even possible?

Could you or anyone please explain this

I've read positive pad reviews (for other headphone models) which I thought sounded terrible or were uncomfortable. It's all relative, I suppose.

I don't know how it is possible, but I do hear a boost in bass. It's not a drastic increase, so don't expect a night and day difference.

Buy the pads from a place with a good return policy and try it yourself (and post your findings here). I was happy with my purchase, but remember that I was not trying to get a better signature, I was just trying to replace the stock pads that where in bad shape.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back